Go to Post The ideals that are held by myself and by many of the longtime FRC mentors and volunteers whom I consider friends and colleagues are bigger than FIRST, and we will find (or make) another vehicle for them if we are forced to. - Jared Russell [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum > FIRST E-Mail Blast Archive
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  #346   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 09:24 PM
plɹoʍ ollǝɥ
AKA: Jordan Perr
FRC #0694 (Stuypulse)

Rookie Year: 2007
neutrino15 is just really niceneutrino15 is just really niceneutrino15 is just really niceneutrino15 is just really nice
Re: **FIRST EMAIL**/FRC Game Hint #2

I would check nearby geocaches.. Maybe they hid something in one? Anyway, I do think that the third number is key to understanding this hint. What geographical features are exactly 342 miles/feet/inches/cm/km/lightyears away from that square? Where does the 342 degree bearing intersect said circle?

Also, let's think outside the box. The first two numbers are convincing coordinates, but what else could they mean? Also note, if you flip the coordinates you get to a point in antarctica. The last could be a temperature in kelvin? (around 156 f) Unlikely..
  #347   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Detroiter
AKA: Foxy
no team

Josh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant future

another possible/crazy insight on this clue...

someone mentioned earlier that the name singleton was part of teh statues name and that that was a term used for a single ringer scored...

maybe we're using ringers again? highly unlikely but who knows how trhe minds of the GDC work
  #348   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
...comes from the mind of a person who is concerned with the precise location (to the nearest centimeter or so) of an 8'L x 5'W x 5'H machine that is currently about 55 million miles from Earth -- and most of the time it is not that close!
Actually, as of noon GMT today, it is about 55,301,925 miles. Not that anyone is counting.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #349   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani190 View Post
Exactly do you really think NASA. Let me say that again NASA, would make it that easy? Think about it its NASA some of the worlds brightest people probably work there. Even if they don't i think that they are way more qualified than us. Meaning they can make this thing very very complicated. They have probably spent months doing this hint.

Also read up people have mentioned the fact that what people think the game is and what it ends up being isn't even part of the truth.

Too bad someone doesn't know someone on the inside

Merry Christmas, Dani
Members of the GDC are members of FIRST. NASA is a sponsor for FIRST and helps in many areas. We have engineers and scientists that work for and with NASA. Dave Lavery is one of them. Some of the world's best and brightest minds in science, technology, and engineering are members of FIRST, mentors for teams, involved with the GDC. They also post in ChiefDelphi or read the fora. That is why this is such a special place. The hints are provided to the teams to give us something to do before Kick Off. If we choose to explore the possibilities, we can. Or we can spend our time doing other fun things. FIRST isn't making anyone do anything, they are offering hints for the upcoming game.

Many people here in the CD fora know 'someone' on the inside. They aren't out there somewhere, they are here among us and they won't give an inch regarding the clues. It's very cool.

Edit: Weird, I just posted after Dave. *sigh*

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 12-22-2007 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Edit
  #350   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 09:33 PM
FRC #1533

Kyle O'Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Just speculatively, since the third number is most likely a bearing and has SIX decimal places of precision, I am leaning towards it pointing us to something far way. However, the bearing passes through the obelisks and Globe Cafe, which (although it doesn't use the six decimal points) is pretty satisfying.

As we pursue the bearing idea further, which will probably dry up this clue for us, remember to shoot your bearings twice. Once using magnetic north and the other using true north.
  #351   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 09:34 PM
plɹoʍ ollǝɥ
AKA: Jordan Perr
FRC #0694 (Stuypulse)

neutrino15 is just really niceneutrino15 is just really niceneutrino15 is just really niceneutrino15 is just really nice

I just want to add,

To whoever thinks that we can use the IR sensor (without modifications, at least) to navigate, watch this video of it in use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUx2w3J_jDk
Note how the remote can be WAY off to the side. This means that it would be a lousy directional imaging system.
  #352   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 09:36 PM
FRC #1571

monkofevil is an unknown quantity at this point

The hancock tower is relatively close, within several decimals to: 342.24 ft. away from the coords provided by First.

Maybe it will have something to do with a tower.

Anyhow, I suggest full military incursion on this point to determine the exact meaning of the First clue.
  #353   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 09:38 PM
AXE 'EM JACKS
AKA: Neal Jamieson
FRC #0624 (CRyptonite)

Rookie Year: 2005
njamietech is a glorious beacon of lightnjamietech is a glorious beacon of lightnjamietech is a glorious beacon of lightnjamietech is a glorious beacon of lightnjamietech is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to njamietech

I have attached two files.

The file titled 1 indicates distance from the point in miles and kilometers.

the further point is miles.

the file titled 2 has feet.

if anyone is willing they can draw scale circles on there. I don't have the software to do that.

Anyways,

See if you can decifer this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	5878  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	5879  
  #354   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 09:42 PM
FRC #1533

Kyle O'Don is an unknown quantity at this point

IR will most likely be used for communication because much finner spacial positioning is done with ultrasound. Also, assuming you could only use one IR board, only one side of your bot could do spacial analysis, which is not very helpful.
  #355   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 09:56 PM
AXE 'EM JACKS
AKA: Neal Jamieson
FRC #0624 (CRyptonite)

Rookie Year: 2005
njamietech is a glorious beacon of lightnjamietech is a glorious beacon of lightnjamietech is a glorious beacon of lightnjamietech is a glorious beacon of lightnjamietech is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to njamietech
3D renderings of Copley square

Here are some 3D renderings of the square to help some of you out.

The two points are just a measure of the third value in feet from the coordinates
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	5880  Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	5881  

Last edited by njamietech : 12-22-2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: added info
  #356   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 10:00 PM
FRC #2402

cabman1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cabman1

It seems that if you treat 342 as both a bearing and a distance in feet, it goes through the obelisks and almost directly onto the back wall of the globe cafe.
  #357   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 10:07 PM
AKA: Jack Anthony
FRC #1218 (Vulcan Robotics)
Team Role: Driver

jakflyer will become famous soon enough

ok, i have read all [most] of this thread and i saw the theories about the movie national treasure and the counterweight idea. I saw the movie tonight and thought i would put in my two cents: (this may or may not spoil the movie for you, its not that important though)

near the end there are four characters who have to stand on the corners of a giant wooden square that is balanced on a giant spike. They have to move around to keep the square balanced, and then they have to move together to try and raise up a corner so the guy could reach a suspended ladder.

Im not sure if i totally believe in the theory connecting the clue to national treasure, but if its true I would say that there would be something like that in the game, maybe four robots (using IR) that have to balance on a square in the center for the endgame.
Thats just what i think, its probably wrong though but just putting it out there
  #358   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 10:12 PM
FRC #0195 (Cyber Knights)

cicib99 is a jewel in the roughcicib99 is a jewel in the roughcicib99 is a jewel in the roughcicib99 is a jewel in the rough

so i saw all these pages and havent read all of the posts but i looked up John Copely(the statue of the coordinates) and it says he was a painter who pioneered the use of pastels = colors = rainbow ir wire

i dont know if its just me but im seeing this color thing as a trend

maybe im getting too into it but oh well im having fun :-D

Edit:the green and orange subway lines stop at copely square if that means anything
-also MIT was first founded in the corner of copely square
-probably just useless info but its keeping me busy:-D

Last edited by cicib99 : 12-22-2007 at 10:19 PM.
  #359   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 10:17 PM
FRC #1124 (Uberbots)

Rookie Year: 2006
Ben_pharteen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Ben_pharteen Send a message via MSN to Ben_pharteen

when looking at Copley square it seems to me that the statue of Copley just happens to be facing MIT and that just happens to be where woodie flowers works. and as someone else pointed out the direction the statue is facing is just about 342 degrees. just a little food for thought

#360   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2007, 10:25 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC Darkside451 View Post
Please excuse me because I’m quite new to this forum stuff, but I think everyone here on Chief Delphi is taking this whole hint thing too literally. Two years ago for the “Aim High” game we were given the hint about seeing Mt. Everest’s “Green Heights”, or something to that effect. In the end we realized the hint meant seeing the green light up in the air for targeting the goal. The hint certainly didn’t me to go to Mt. Everest to see what you could see.
It was Montana's Green Heights btw.

The Green Heights (as you stated) was the elevated light.

The Montana link was attributed to a plateau (AKA: The Platform under the light) in popular theory that year as well.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: