Go to Post I have learned so much from this program and am forever changed by FIRST and its community. You have made me a better person in so many ways. Thank you. - Jessica Boucher [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2001, 10:33 AM
Nice Guy
no team

Tom Fairchild will become famous soon enoughTom Fairchild will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Tom Fairchild
Question DC and The US Congress

Hey everyone, got a question for ya - two students from our team along with two adult mentors are going to DC to speak infront of various Congress members and some large companies on July 12th. I was told that other teams were going, but I don't know who. The only one that I'm sure of is 365. Anyone know anything about this? I don't really know any of the details about the whole thing yet either. Drop a line if you're in the know.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2001, 10:57 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
I don't know anything about it but I would definatley be tempted to take a trip down to DC for the day if people are going to be talking to Congress about FIRST (the being from Rochester, NY is a misnomer right now -- I'm really in Baltimore, MD). So if you could get me some more information I'd be interested in checking it out.

Matt
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2001, 11:05 AM
Nice Guy
no team

Tom Fairchild will become famous soon enoughTom Fairchild will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Wish I could!

Hey Matt, I wish I could give ya the details behind it, but I really don't know them. My mentors have just told me that I'm going to be in DC July 11th and 12th. I do know that I had to submit some personal info about myself for security clearence so it doesn't look like its going to be open to the public, sorry! If I find out anything more though, I'll be sure to let you know.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2001, 11:17 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
I actually doubt that they wouldn't be open to the public. There's no real reason to hold this behind closed doors (they only tend to do that for National Security or Judicial matters). Unfortunately Congressional committees only post their schedules for the current week and not next week. My guess is that it'd be before the House Education Committee but that's just a guess. But if you can find out more information, I'd like to know about it.

Matt
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2001, 04:17 PM
The_C
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Carolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the rough
ROAD TRIP

Hey Tom,
Who else is going on your team? Don't get into trouble up there, that means no trashing the room and beware of bleach blondes wearring wife beaters!

C~ya,
Carolyn
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2001, 05:34 PM
Nice Guy
no team

What's wrong with Bleach Blondes in Wife Beaters?

Hey Carolyn! Its actually going to be me and your good 'ole bud Stephen (And yes - I still do have those pictures!!) representing teh students along with Jeff and Mrs. Talmage representing the mentors. I'm really looking forward to it though. See ya around,

~Tom~
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2001, 08:52 PM
AKA: Mike
#0088 (TJ²)
Team Role: Alumni

mpking is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mpking
Re: Wish I could!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Fairchild
Hey Matt, I wish I could give ya the details behind it, but I really don't know them. My mentors have just told me that I'm going to be in DC July 11th and 12th. I do know that I had to submit some personal info about myself for security clearence so it doesn't look like its going to be open to the public, sorry! If I find out anything more though, I'll be sure to let you know.
Well, not to spoil the surprise.

In any chance that you'll be meeting The President, The Vice President, any of The Cabinet, or being on the Congressional Floor, you need a security clearence.

The background check is them making sure (superficially) that you have declared your intent to destroy the goverment, murder anyone, or what not.

Basiclly they don't want a raving lunitic in close personal contact with the dignataries of the goverment, with out them knowing it.
The Home of Moe
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2001, 09:27 PM

Karl is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: Wish I could!

Quote:
Originally posted by mpking

The background check is them making sure (superficially) that you have declared your intent to destroy the goverment, murder anyone, or what not.
Don't you mean "...making sure (superficially) that you have not declared your intent..." ? I sure hope that's how it works, at least .
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2001, 10:13 PM
AKA: Mike
#0088 (TJ²)
Team Role: Alumni

mpking is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mpking
Re: Re: Re: Wish I could!

Quote:
Originally posted by Karl

Don't you mean "...making sure (superficially) that you have not declared your intent..." ? I sure hope that's how it works, at least .
I was wondering if anyone was gonna catch that.
The Home of Moe
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2001, 10:16 PM
The_C
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Carolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the rough
Smile No Fair!!!!

You get to go with Stephen, the chick magnet?! Just think you could be going with someone who is quiet and has swarms of girls without even looking up. About those pics, let's just leave that alone. Well, actually it doesn't matter anymore. I've graduated and informed a certain individual of my very honest opinion of the way things were. By the way, I never did get to see the pics on the disk. What were most of them of? Have fun on your adventure and don't say um! C~ya,
Carolyn
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-09-2001, 12:52 PM
Never Forget FIRST 1992-2000
no team

Rookie Year: 1996
Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Justin
CSPAN?

Hey...maybe the testimony will be on CSPAN and we can all watch it when they replay if 10 times that evening between the hours of 1am - 5am

-Justin
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-09-2001, 09:21 PM
cd addicted ninny
#0419 (rambots)

mike o'leary is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mike o'leary Send a message via AIM to mike o'leary Send a message via Yahoo to mike o'leary
its not like any of us sleep during those hours

***ninny pride***
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2001, 11:10 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
Re: CSPAN?

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin
Hey...maybe the testimony will be on CSPAN and we can all watch it when they replay if 10 times that evening between the hours of 1am - 5am

-Justin
i prefer CSPAN-2.

not really, they are both boring

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2001, 11:29 PM
Nice Guy
no team

Well, just to let you guys know, I don't think it was on CSPAN, but we did have a lot of photographers. The whole thing was a lot of fun, and we even got a lot of time to talk to Dean. Definitly one to remember.

~Tom~
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2001, 04:01 PM
#0365 (DuPont Miracle Workerz)

John Larock is on a distinguished road
Smile FIRST at Science Day in Washington DC

Here is some information about this event:

Event: Science Day on Capitol Hill

Participants: The Science Coalition - a group of college/university representatives (mainly) and some others. Podesta/Mattoon - a DC lobbying group.

Purpose: A day for university professors to lobby congress in an organized way for more funding for technology programs.

FIRST involvement: Dean Kamen was the keynote speaker at a breakfast. The FIRST folks wanted to also show the universities and congresspeople what FIRST robotics is about. Four FIRST teams participated: Teams #53, #116, #122, and #365. The teams consisted of the team robot and 5-6 student and adult representatives.

Teams basically were on hand to show off their robots and to talk with university reps (mostly) and congresspeople (some) about their experience with FIRST.

Dean had about 15 minutes to talk. He brought the I-Bot and what looked like a possible sterling engine. I believe his plan was to talk a bit and then show a video about FIRST. However, hisis talk went overtime and he did not get a chance to even show the video.

I believe that this was a good event to expose more colleges and universities to FIRST. Dean made an effort to encourage more college involvement with FIRST.

From a congress side, no team member spoke to the whole group. Conversation was between individual team members and whoever came over to see the robot or whoever we could corral to talk about it. Some people hung around to talk, while others just looked. Our team (365 - DuPont Miracle Workerz) had more conversations with university professors. We also did speak to staffers of our state representatives.

It was a very nice experience for our team members. It also gave us a chance to interact on a more personal level with members from other teams. We did get a chance to chat with Dean a bit. I asked him about next year's game. His response was "this game is so sick that even I am nervous about it." Relevant fact or misleading clue -- you be the judge.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: