OCCRA
Go to Post I said it was called FIRST Robotics and the coolest thing I'd seen that day was a 150lb robot balance with another one on a teeter-tooter and and then score basketballs from 30 feet away. - Siri [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 09:38 AM
FRC #3275 (Accelerators 3134 & Regulators 3275)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2012
snoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud ofsnoman has much to be proud of
VR options for viewing the field this year

Looking for options. Not in my wheel house. I haven't heard much on the topic from FIRST. Looking for cost vs. quality. I have a google Pixel 3.

thanks
https://www.facebook.com/accerleratorsandregulators/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQU...Cr8I4wezAbMefA

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 10:16 AM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VR options for viewing the field this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman View Post
Looking for options. Not in my wheel house. I haven't heard much on the topic from FIRST. Looking for cost vs. quality. I have a google Pixel 3.

thanks
http://a.co/d/gB2dmKL

Affordable and they allow you to see both alliances too.
Clarke's Laws
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Another day, gotta give 'em hell
AKA: It's burning straight through the dark...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
http://a.co/d/gB2dmKL

Affordable and they allow you to see both alliances too.
Got jokes...

FIRST hasn't released any details on how they will release the field, so personally I'm not spending a dime until then. You know the laws of the universe require them to choose a different, incompatible system than the one you buy on speculation.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

117 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 10:26 AM
The Nature Bot - WOOOO!
FRC #1720 (PhyXTGears)

Rookie Year: 2001
Ryan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Dognaux

I really hope they support Windows Mixed Reality devices & Google Cardboard. Those are some of the most affordable VR options on the market right now.

I assume they'll support the HTC Vive & Oculus Rift as those are the most popular, but I wouldn't recommend buying anything until details are released. Unless you have cash to burn - then definitely get an HTC Vive. It's awesome.
Team 4329 Mentor: 2013 - 2017 :: Team 1720 Mentor: Current
STL Off-Season Event: www.gatewayroboticschallenge.com
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 10:33 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really hoping it comes out as an iPhone/Android app that you can use with any of the cardboard VR phone holders (There are even instructions to build your own online, just save a cardboard box or two!). That would make it accessible by anyone. If it requires purchasing a specific device, or limited to a specific brand/OS, it's not going to be used by many teams.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 10:41 AM
FRC #4293

PeterR is an unknown quantity at this point

Google Cardboard or something free online (Google Maps street view of the field) is really the only option for our team as we could not afford a $500+ headset
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking more about it, while the technology is still a little young, what Apple and Google are doing with multi-person AR is something that could certainly come into play here, possibly in a few more years. Every year after kickoff many teams "play the game" using students as robots. When doing this, you often haven't had time to create field elements yet, at least not good ones. With a cross-platform AR system that could support a 30+ member team all viewing the same thing, such activities could be improved on.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Trying to survive college
AKA: Josh Witt
FRC #3966 (L&N STEMpunks)
Team Role: Alumni

guniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud of

I would bet that they will use Google Cardboard and include one in the KOP because they're so cheap. They have used Cardboard in the past for 2016's field. They're super easy to use and are compatible with nearly all smartphones.

It will probably be a file/files you download that are 360 photos of the field. It's possible they could release stuff compatible with position-based VR like the HTC Vive, but very few teams will have access to that tech.

Since you have a Pixel 3, you could also use a Google Daydream View headset, which can show Cardboard-compatible media.

President (2017 - Present) - FIRST Alumni at UT Knoxville

Previously Student (2012 - 2015) & Mentor (2015 - 2018) - FRC Team 3966, L&N STEMpunks
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 11:21 AM
Keeping Score
AKA: Doug Frisk
no team

Rookie Year: 2011
Doug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by guniv View Post
I would bet that they will use Google Cardboard and include one in the KOP because they're so cheap. They have used Cardboard in the past for 2016's field. They're super easy to use and are compatible with nearly all smartphones.

It will probably be a file/files you download that are 360 photos of the field. It's possible they could release stuff compatible with position-based VR like the HTC Vive, but very few teams will have access to that tech.

Since you have a Pixel 3, you could also use a Google Daydream View headset, which can show Cardboard-compatible media.
Not everyone has an android device. The best option would be for them to start with an open platform. I would use Unity because that can work on Windows, IOS, and Android.

Whatever FIRST does, many will be unhappy. I'll shrug my shoulders and move forward best I can. Heck I'd love that they release a HoloLens version of the field but I'm not betting on it.
Great Northern Regional
Central Illinois Regional
Minnesota North Star Regional
Seven Rivers Regional
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 11:24 AM
FRC #4638 (Jagbots)
Team Role: Teacher

amesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of light

They don't even need to go as far as 3D. I would be happy with a solid 360 camera walking around the field. Anyone could do that.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 11:28 AM
Mentor/Coach
FRC #7450 (oTECH AIMBOTS)

Rookie Year: 2002
The_ShamWOW88 is a splendid one to beholdThe_ShamWOW88 is a splendid one to beholdThe_ShamWOW88 is a splendid one to beholdThe_ShamWOW88 is a splendid one to beholdThe_ShamWOW88 is a splendid one to beholdThe_ShamWOW88 is a splendid one to beholdThe_ShamWOW88 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesmich View Post
They don't even need to go as far as 3D. I would be happy with a solid 360 camera walking around the field. Anyone could do that.
This is probably along the lines of what they'll have

"The best way to predict the future is design it"

"Striving for excellence through inspiration"
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 12:12 PM
Trying to survive college
AKA: Josh Witt
FRC #3966 (L&N STEMpunks)
Team Role: Alumni

guniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Frisk View Post
Not everyone has an android device. The best option would be for them to start with an open platform. I would use Unity because that can work on Windows, IOS, and Android.

Whatever FIRST does, many will be unhappy. I'll shrug my shoulders and move forward best I can. Heck I'd love that they release a HoloLens version of the field but I'm not betting on it.
There is a Google Cardboard app for iOS.

President (2017 - Present) - FIRST Alumni at UT Knoxville

Previously Student (2012 - 2015) & Mentor (2015 - 2018) - FRC Team 3966, L&N STEMpunks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: