OCCRA
Go to Post Speculate away! - IndySam [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Motors
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Apprentice Programmer
FRC #2500 (Herobotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2012
Captain Planet is an unknown quantity at this point
Molon Motor Legality

I'm pretty sure the Molon chm-2435-1 is not legal, but I want to be sure. Could an expert help?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2012, 10:49 AM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Molon Motor Legality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
I'm pretty sure the Molon chm-2435-1 is not legal, but I want to be sure. Could an expert help?
[R48] attached. The intent of the rule is to list the only permissible motors and actuators. The way it's worded, it could be interpreted to mean it's a subset of the list of permissible motors and actuators. But that's not the intended meaning.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	[R48].png
Views:	94
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	11970  
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Growing Chief Delphi Addict
AKA: Will Pryor
FRC #3120 (RoboKnights)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2010
beiju is an unknown quantity at this point

And just in case you want to press your luck and argue that wording at the competition, the manual instructs you to "when reading these rules, please use technical common sense (engineering thinking) rather than ‘lawyering’ the interpretation and splitting hairs over the precise wording in an attempt to find loopholes." (4.1 Robot Rules)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Let the MAYHEM begin!
FRC #1519 (Mechanical Mayhem)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2005
Ken Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
The motor included in that complete assembly is not legal.

However, if you want to use the gearbox and turntable, you could remove the Mabuchi motor from the assembly and substitute a legal motor and then be able to use the rest of the assembly.

I don't have one of the "Molon chm-2435-1" assemblies to be sure, but it looks like you could remove the Mabuchi motor from the gearbox and replace it with the BaneBots M3-RS395-12 motor and have a legal assembly. In order to do so, you would need to remove the pinion gear from the supplied Mabuchi motor (if it is possible to do so) and instead put it onto the BaneBots M3-RS395-12 shaft.

This approach of taking an existing COTS assembly, removing the original motor from it, and replacing it with a FIRST-legal motor, is a common approach used by FRC teams.
2013 & 2012 North Carolina Regional Winners with teams 435 & 4828 and 1311 & 2642
2011, 2010, 2006 Granite State Regional Winners with teams 175 & 176, 1073 & 1058, and 1276 & 133
Team 1519 Video Gallery - including Chairman's Video, and the infamous "Speed Racer!"
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2012, 11:02 AM
FRC #1984
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2010
sjspry has a spectacular aura aboutsjspry has a spectacular aura aboutsjspry has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiju View Post
And just in case you want to press your luck and argue that wording at the competition, the manual instructs you to "when reading these rules, please use technical common sense (engineering thinking) rather than ‘lawyering’ the interpretation and splitting hairs over the precise wording in an attempt to find loopholes." (4.1 Robot Rules)
This of course ignores the fact that the rules get constantly lawyered back at us...
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: