OCCRA
Go to Post If you look at where you have come from you can often tell where you are going. - Turtlecoach [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2008, 06:18 PM
AKA: Nicholas
FRC #2603 (Team Hornet)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
ComradeNikolai is a splendid one to beholdComradeNikolai is a splendid one to beholdComradeNikolai is a splendid one to beholdComradeNikolai is a splendid one to beholdComradeNikolai is a splendid one to beholdComradeNikolai is a splendid one to beholdComradeNikolai is a splendid one to behold
Kettering University Rookie Competition

Does anyone know if the Kettering competition is being webcasted and, if so, where to find it?

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Hoshua The 2nd
AKA: Joshua aka "Hosh"
FRC #0085 (Built On Brains B.O.B.)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Jherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to Jherbie53
Re: Kettering University Rookie Competition

I believe there is no webcast.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2008, 07:58 PM
The master of the cards ^_^
AKA: Raa'Shaun H.
FRC #0322 (F.I.R.E. "Flint Inspires Real Engineers")
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 1999
CardcaptorRLH85 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to CardcaptorRLH85 Send a message via AIM to CardcaptorRLH85 Send a message via MSN to CardcaptorRLH85 Send a message via Yahoo to CardcaptorRLH85

Nope, no webcast. I'm here...

However, now that I'm here, has anyone else EVER seen a 5 HOUR delay due to a pair of failed arena controllers?

Last edited by CardcaptorRLH85 : 03-07-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added a question.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Hoshua The 2nd
AKA: Joshua aka "Hosh"
FRC #0085 (Built On Brains B.O.B.)
Team Role: College Student

Jherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to beholdJherbie53 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to Jherbie53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardcaptorRLH85 View Post
Nope, no webcast. I'm here...

However, now that I'm here, has anyone else EVER seen a 5 HOUR delay due to a pair of failed arena controllers?
Only at a kettering kickoff. It was the same year of stack attack and the problem was that team were rolling the carts over the pressure pads the human players stood on. It wasn't 5 hours, but they did cancel matchers and proceeded to the eliminations rather than play the last handful of matches.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2008, 08:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to CardcaptorRLH85 Send a message via AIM to CardcaptorRLH85 Send a message via MSN to CardcaptorRLH85 Send a message via Yahoo to CardcaptorRLH85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jherbie53 View Post
Only at a kettering kickoff. It was the same year of stack attack and the problem was that team were rolling the carts over the pressure pads the human players stood on. It wasn't 5 hours, but they did cancel matchers and proceeded to the eliminations rather than play the last handful of matches.
I see, one of the 2 Kettering Kickoffs that I didn't attend ^_^ Well, at least the problem looks solved. What I want to know is how they managed to rig it....

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Software Engineer
AKA: Roger Smith
FRC #3357 (COMETS)

Rookie Year: 2007
rogerlsmith is a splendid one to beholdrogerlsmith is a splendid one to beholdrogerlsmith is a splendid one to beholdrogerlsmith is a splendid one to beholdrogerlsmith is a splendid one to beholdrogerlsmith is a splendid one to beholdrogerlsmith is a splendid one to behold

There was TV coverage about this event:

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/media?id=6004929

Way to go, whoever did their homework!!

Roger
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Share FIRST videos, photos and experiences at FIRSTObjective.org
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I see, one of the 2 Kettering Kickoffs that I didn't attend ^_^ Well, at least the problem looks solved. What I want to know is how they managed to rig it....
Same way we control auton,disable, and normal mode... a toggle switch of course. Should be back to normal tomorrow. If not... well we deal right?

Oh, and we are not webcasting but we will be HOPEFULLY posting the entire regional on the web after the fact.

And while I'm writing, I would like to say that I have been very impressed by the level of competition I am seeing. Congratulations to all the teams and hopefully we will have a nice day tomorrow.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2008, 12:45 AM
RoboShow Producer
AKA: DJ Royal Fusion
no team (RoboShow)
Team Role: Engineer

Swan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Swan217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jherbie53 View Post

Ahhh yes, KK '03 - a great day to be the DJ at a competition that wasn't competing. I completely know how the guy today felt

So I was going to mention how huge of a disaster it was walking around for 5 hours with no competing, oh and by the way - it's ALL MY FAULT EVERYBODY, AND I'M SORRY. I walk through the door, and suddenly the field breaks down. It must be my magnetic personality.

But anyways, it turned out not to be such a big disaster after all. It gave the rookie teams some valuable time with some VERY experienced robot inspectors to improve their robot and make it work correctly, so by the time matches FINALLY got going around 6:30 PM, pretty much every robot was working the way it was supposed to. And it turns out that with a 10 min match time, we're only 8 matches behind. How do you like that? Tomorrow should be awesome though. Some of these rookies are outstanding.

Follow The RoboShow on Twitter @RoboShowLive & check out our website, www.theroboshow.net

Follow RoboVision on Twitter @RoboVisionOD & check out our website, www.robovisionod.com

"As president, I believe that robotics can inspire young people to pursue science and engineering. And I also want to keep an eye on those robots in case they try anything."
President Barack Obama
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2008, 01:38 AM
FRC Advocate
no team (FiM Volunteer)

Alex Golec has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Golec has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Golec has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Golec has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Golec has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Golec has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Golec has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Golec has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Golec has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Golec has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Golec has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, Dan, we're only 3 matches behind!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2008, 06:27 AM

Wow, I have to hand it to everyone involved, the ingenuity of the people involved with F.I.R.S.T. never ceases to amaze me. However, since this field is going to be at a regional that we're actually competing at (GLR), I hope that all of the bugs will have been worked out of it by then ^_^

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

I am proud of all those rookies. We were originally on a 10-minute match schedule. By 8:00 Friday we were running 6-7 minute cycles, one after the other. They did marvelously, moving where we pushed and prodded and cajoled them to go. At about 11:00 this morning, the lead que told me we only had a couple matches to go, then rerun Match 4, 5 and 6 that were spoiled Friday afternoon. "And how many rounds did we cut out?" - none, we got all the games in. These teams got 14 rounds on the field to figure out what they can do. Watch out when they start hitting Detroit, Boilermaker, West Michigan, Great Lakes, Minnesota, Canada, and a few other places.

I'm not going to post winners, because every team there was a winner. They improved so much from Friday morning practice to Friday evening matches to the end of qualifiers this morning to exciting elimination matches this afternoon.

This event couldn't have been put on without the help of many veteran teams. I'll probably miss a few, and don't feel offended, but we had students and/or mentors there from Teams 1, 33, 45, 47, 67, 70, 217, 302, 314, 322, 397, 494, 469, 830, 1025 and 1322. I also saw spectators from several other veteran teams.

Oh, it's not just Dan's fault. Beth Sweet also has to take some blame - she's sure 1504 was plugged into the station that started all the problems during the finals at Midwest.

Last edited by GaryVoshol : 03-08-2008 at 07:43 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2008, 08:06 PM
is getting lost in her new home
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta), #1504 (alum), #67 (alum)

Beth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Gary, you're officially on the bad list...

Congratulations to all of the rookies! The caliber of teams I saw this weekend was wayyyyy above where I thought it would be! I would say over 75% of the rookies had autonomous/hybrids by the end of the tournament, and there were multiple machines doing lots of hurdling.

Congrats again to the rookies, as Gary said on the field, you guys sure as heck aren't acting like rookies, and in our mind, you're all vets now!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2008, 08:48 PM

maltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant future
Kettering Rookie Pilot Competition

We held the all Rookie Pilot Competition for the last few days. It was held at Kettering University. All I can say is WOW. I was in awe. These teams have their acts together and us veterans had better watch out. We so wanted to webcast it but couldn't. Even with a few bumps in the road it was amazing. Nice job all
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2008, 09:28 PM
They call me Cody.
no team (None currently :\)

Rookie Year: 2008
XXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud of

The event was a massive sucess in my view. It gave our team much needed practice. Until stuff died, (RIP). From the first practice matches to the end of the event, teams inproved so much, that it was not funny. It was kind of scarry in the finals, every team had a real sense of what needed to be done and how to do it.
I like wise won't post the winners because every team took so much away in the knowledge of this years game.

thnxs to the organizers

Last edited by XXShadowXX : 03-08-2008 at 10:08 PM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Coach team 1322
FRC #1322 (G.R.A.Y.T. Leviathons)
Team Role: Coach

joeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant future

It was amazing how well designed the rookie robots were. Once they got their bugs out (after the unplanned fix-it window) they were great. We had crab, mech wheel, six wheel, four wheel, and two wheeled drives. Racing, ball lunching and claw arm robots. Robots crossing 3 and 4 line in hybrid mode. With all the help this event turned out great.

Thank you to all the teams that pitched in.

P.S. This makes the Kettering fall event a piece of cake to hold.

FRC Team sitehttp://team1322.org/
2004 Great Lakes Xerox Creativity Award, 2008 Web Site Excellence Award, 2010 Kettering District and Western Michigan District Excellence in Engineering award, 2011 Kettering District Gracious Professionalism Award. 2011 Ann Arbor and State Cooperation Awards.2013 Kettering Xeroc Creativity Award.2015 Escanaba Chairman's Award.2015 Kettering Spirit Award.2016 Kettering Chairman's Award
FTC Lightining Boltz 5954, Thunder Botz 7032http://team1322.org/vex.htm
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: