OCCRA
Go to Post I don't mean to sound harsh, but I do not want you to get your hopes up. There are deadlines in FIRST. - RoboMom [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
RIP Art Anderson, age 76, TechnoKat mentor and Boy Scout Leader

All,

With a heavy heart, I sadly pass along tragic news about Art Anderson. Art passed away this past Saturday afternoon. Here is an article explaining what happened.

Art was a husband, father, grandfather, and friend to many. Art was an electrical mentor on the TechnoKats, FRC team 45 since 2003. He was a retired electrical engineer and manager at Delphi. He liked to show the students how to wire up the robot, spec out the right gauge wiring, solder connectors and crimp ring terminals. Well, except for that one night that Kyle Love, Michael Hill, Art, Nick Boyce, and I ripped out all of the wiring of the 2006 robot and then re-wired it 2 days before we shipped it. But, that's a story for another day.

Art got involved with TechnoKats after his grandson, Corey and his son, Alan got involved as team members. Alan's wife, Carol, and Art's wife, Bette, also got involved in supporting the team. For the Andersons, the TechnoKats is a family effort. Art and Bette are grandparent-figures to all of the students on the team. Also, at any events the TechnoKats would attend, you would find Art as the "spare parts guy" and Bette at the registration desk. Alan would be running from team to team, helping with their software, while Carol would usually be involved as a querer. Art ran the spare parts checkout at the Championships for the past 4-5 years. He would do what he could to make sure the teams got the parts they needed.

Also, you might have met Art at IRI or the CAGE Match. He and Mike Carmain are the guys who always wired up the pits, and ran the electrical power to the playing field. Art was 76 years old, but he still got in a lift to drape the wires over the rafters so that each team could get 120 volts. Oh, that reminds me: if I ever changed the pit layout at IRI, Art would give me a 2-page, detailed letter about how I messed with his pit layout. His detailed effort helped make that event great. Lord knows that he had more attention to those details than I did. If the pit layout at IRI is messed up next year, we'll know why.

Art and Bette also were very good friends to many. They opened up their home during their holiday times of Hanukkah, even letting us Christians partake in their celebrations. My wife and I were able to teach our kids about other religious customs this way, and I am thankful to the Andersons.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Art was a local Boy Scout leader for 51 years.

Maybe you knew Art. Maybe you got a spare part from him at a Regional or the Championships. Maybe he asked you to step out of the way when he was running cable in the IRI pits. Maybe he loaned you some wire for your robot. Maybe you already miss Art like I do. Please tell us all about it here in this thread.

The gentleman on the far left in this picture is Art.

Thanks,
Andy Baker

Last edited by Andy Baker : 08-22-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: finally got the pic link to work

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: