OCCRA
Go to Post But on the plus side, we can drive the robot with a DDR pad, which is crazy-stupid-cool. - Not2B [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 10:01 PM
no team

ilikecheese is an unknown quantity at this point
choosing the right driver

i have a couple of quesitons.

1. who should choose a driver, team or head guy?
2. things to consider when choosing a driver?
3. how to find out who will be driver?
and anything you might want to add
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 10:08 PM
All I do is twin.
AKA: elixir
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
Alexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexa Stott
Re: choosing the right driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikecheese View Post

1. Your drive team captain/coach should be the one to choose the driver, in my opinion. The drive that is "passing on the sticks" might also have a bit of a say in it. On the field, the driver will have to listen to their coach, so it's very important they are comfortable working together, as well as with the operator.
2. As I said above, make sure the operator and coach are comfortable working with the person driving. They have to work with each other on the field. Also, make sure that the person you choose is willing to listen to the coach and not defy what he/she says. Drivers should also have a good idea of strategy in their heads.
3. Test out a few different people to find a couple people who have some skill. Have the drive coach get to know them a bit. The drive team should be comfortable working with each other and listening to other's ideas.

A great way to find a driver is a off-season events. It allows you to test out many different people and find the best person for the job.

Being drive is a very honorable position, so make sure the person you choose truly deserves it. They should be a person who is dedicated to the team and helps out whenever they can to make sure everything gets done.

Hope that helps.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 10:14 PM
My team is not competing this year
AKA: Demolition Man
FRC #0381 (Tornadoes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Dominicano0519 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Dominicano0519 Send a message via Yahoo to Dominicano0519

Drivers

plural

there must be two drivers
one coach
one human player
for each team

have the team choose drivers and let the coach see who he works best with

a driver must be cool under pressure and must listen to the coach

but anyway i would say have a drive-off with previous robots( iff applicable) that drive similar.

Last edited by Dominicano0519 : 02-20-2007 at 10:21 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 10:16 PM
FRC #1647 (Iron Devils)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2005
David is a jewel in the roughDavid is a jewel in the roughDavid is a jewel in the roughDavid is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to David

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikecheese View Post

1. the upperclassmen of the team should reach a consensus
2. skill, knowledge, intuition and ability to perform under pressure
3. test out different people. find the best tandem (my team has 2 drivers)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 10:30 PM
i heart infrared
AKA: Neil Parikh
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 2003
nparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond reputenparikh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nparikh Send a message via MSN to nparikh

Depends on what your team structure is. On our team, our drive team coach chooses driver, operator etc, but after having try-outs and choosing who is the best amongst the candidates.

Driver tryouts are open to all members, and the best become the driver/operator. Things to look for: mature, CALM, good strategists, make sure they listen to the coach's advice, etc.

Team 25 Alumnus
Attending: NJ Regional, Boston Regional, the Championship Event
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Got my degree and ready for more!
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Dan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond repute

The coach should be picking. They know what they want from a driver and who they can work with.

Thinks to look for when picking driver
1) Following the rules
2) Following the rules
3) Following the rules
4) Skill
5) How well he/she works with the co-pilot
6) Will listen to the coach
7) Comfort with being on the spot

Our drive coach holds a series of 3 tests. The tests contain things about the robot and game rules. Whoever passes is then up in the running for drive team. The ones who passed tell the coach their first choice of what role they want to fill (driver, co-pilot, or human player).

The ones who want to drive and the ones who want to co-pilot take short runs with eachother in a round robin fashion so everyone drives with everyone at least once.

Our coach pretty much picks the two who worked the best together.

If you don't have a practice robot or something, use a previous year's robot.
Who knew silence could be so loud?

Mayhem in Merrimack hosts since 2005 - Week Zero hosts in partnership with FIRST HQ: 2014-2016
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 10:49 PM
,':-)
AKA: C. Carey
FRC #0306 (CRT)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Cody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cody Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Cody Carey

In all of these setups, Who picks the coach?

On our team... the people that do the most work generally drive. We know what the 'bot can and can't do; so that is the most reasonable solution. The consensus on our team is that that is the right choice, but if any of the members think that they would be a better choice for driver... they are more than welcome to challenge the current driver to a battle of skill.
The Coach is the resident rules guru.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: