OCCRA
Go to Post Taking the time to do it right the first time is faster than rushing through it a third time. - EricVanWyk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2002, 10:25 PM
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!

Posted by Andy Grady.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team in limbo from in limbo sponsored by in limbo.

Posted on 7/17/2000 2:34 PM MST

Sorry guys, I fell asleep on the job yesterday...

Question 7/17/00:
What kind of goal would you like to see in next years game? For instance, would you like to see a large goal taking up the majority of the field a la Ladder Logic, A moveable goal, as seen in Hexagon Havoc, The machines as goals like Double Trouble, or whatever.

Personally I would love to see another movable goal, but with a twist sort of like the puck in 99. Maybe put a goal on top of a moving, climbable platform. Im sure that would make the game interesting (not to mention very physical)

Andy 'scratch' Grady, 42/126

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
Re: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!!

Posted by Mike Dubreuil.

Student on team #175, Buzz, from Enrico Fermi High School and UTC/Hamilton Sundstrand.

Posted on 7/17/2000 3:36 PM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Andy Grady on 7/17/2000 2:34 PM MST:

$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#I would like to see a new game piece put into play...FOOTBALLS! I am sure that I'll have a lot of supporters for that one. They are very interesting because their movement is very unpredictable (kind of like some of this years egg shaped balls, hehe).
$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#I like the aspect of having to place something into a container that is elevated in the air. This not only adds to the difficulty but it also improves a viewers scoring accuracy. In addition I like to be able to move the goal around. It adds another scoring element (like in Double Trouble), but also increases the obstacles out on the field so robots can dodge each other.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

I think the decision is majority!!!

Posted on 7/17/2000 6:18 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Mike Dubreuil on 7/17/2000 3:36 PM MST:

For the past 5 years I have been praying for footballs. I am not alone on this either, as we all can see from the reply of Mike and Amy, and I assure you there is many more where they came from. So I know that FIRST is listening (and probably have been for years), ITS TIME FOR SOME FOOTBALL BABY!!!!!
Thank you, have a nice day
Andy Grady

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

FOOOOOTBALLLLL!!

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #246, a FIRST-aholic, from John D. O'Byrant High School/Boston Latin Academy and NSTAR/Boston University/UTC/Raytheon/MassPEP.

Posted on 7/19/2000 7:27 PM MST

In Reply to: I think the decision is majority!!! posted by Andy Grady on 7/17/2000 6:18 PM MST:

i've always been with andy on this....

i'll be hinting about it at the team forum :-P

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

the space between first and sports...

Posted by Erin.

Student on team #1, The Juggernauts, from Oakland Technical Center-Northeast Campus and 3-Dimensional Services.

Posted on 7/17/2000 10:50 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Mike Dubreuil on 7/17/2000 3:36 PM MST:

Hey guys, I am in FIRST and I enjoy the separation from school sports. I think we can do without the footballs. I think it would be great with bowling pins. No, don't try to argue and say that bowling is a school sport because in essence, if the bowling pin was all involved, then we would be learning the delicate art of pinsetting. Not a sport, may I add.
Yay for brunswick and bowling pins. Get them as a sponsor whilst you still can.

-Erin

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: the space between first and sports...

Posted by Brian .

Student on team #56, Robbe Xtreme, from Bound Brook High School and Ethicon Inc..

Posted on 7/18/2000 10:35 AM MST

In Reply to: the space between first and sports... posted by Erin on 7/17/2000 10:50 PM MST:

I'd have to agree with Erin we should divide FIRST and highschool sports so I dont think footballs would be best and i dont know about bowling pins so thats all for me
Brian

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Michael Martus.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

Posted on 7/18/2000 1:01 PM MST

In Reply to: the space between first and sports... posted by Erin on 7/17/2000 10:50 PM MST:

Hey Erin,

Bowling IS a school sport in many areas of our state. Pontiac Central H.S. was state champion a few years ago.
Also, state wide there is a school competition that is 10 weeks, run as a varsity and Jr. varsity winter sport. Players earn school letters and scholarship money. There are 80+ schools involved in MI.

Now as for bowling pins ...... I started that rumor last year. But hey it would be an interesting game piece.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Dominiuqe.

Student on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 7/18/2000 4:49 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: the space between first and sports... posted by Michael Martus on 7/18/2000 1:01 PM MST:

: Hey Erin,

I will have to agree. Bowling is a school sport. Pontiac Northern bowling team is great. We have won many state champion awards. It would be great for bowling pins to be a part of the game.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: the space between FIRST and sports...

Posted by Amy .

Student on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High and NYPRO.

Posted on 7/19/2000 12:17 PM MST

If footballs were involved in next year's game, it wouldn't exactly make it the Division 1 superbowl...coming from a school where many people think football is the most important thing, I think that using footballs would be good for the following reasons: 1)Dean's goal is to create the environment of a sporting event around science and technology...in the letter at the front of the 2000 Competition Manual, he referred to the 2000 season as Competition IX and likened it to the Superbowl. Footballs might help to form the sporting event environment and draw more attention to FIRST...and maybe draw the people who we would think are unlikely to participate; 2)Using footballs would definitely create publicity for FIRST in a football town like Clinton, MA...I'm sure that there are many towns just like mine out there.

Just my two cents :-)

Amy

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted on 7/19/2000 2:31 PM MST

Im sorry but in no way do I see the relevance in seperating school sports and FIRST when it comes to using footballs as a gamepiece. Just because we use the balls, does not really mean the game is going to be football. Plus you could say that there never was a seperation when you look at this years game, Ladder Logic, Hexagon Havoc, Tower Power, etc.... Didn't these games seem to resemble high school basketball, or in the case of Rug Rage, soccer? I see using footballs as a different twist to the game, with a different and interesting shape, but still easy to see, and not extreemly hard to pick up with a mechanism. Also footballs may be able to add something to the human player's role and so forth. Not that I mind the idea of bowling pins (though just thinking about how to pick those things up gives me a major headache) but footballs would definately put a nice, fair twist on the game.
Just a thought,
Andy Grady

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Amy .

Student on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High and NYPRO.

Posted on 7/17/2000 4:27 PM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Andy Grady on 7/17/2000 2:34 PM MST:

It's not my original idea, but I like the idea of including all the objects that had to be picked up in past years in honor of FIRST's tenth anniversary, making the challenge not scoring the balls, but picking up objects ranging from tennis balls to water-filled balls to floppies to 13' balls. They could throw footballs in there just to mix it up a little bit...

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Dominiuqe.

Student on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 7/17/2000 5:15 PM MST

I would like to see something real crazy. Such as water ballons, eggs, or hockey pucks. Something very different. I just don't want anything like the puck we had in '99'. I did not like those floppies or that puck!!

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

More choices than footballs

Posted by Michael Betts.

Engineer on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

Posted on 7/19/2000 5:08 PM MST

Somehow, AG's original question has got lost in the woods. However, I'll stay with the crowd and throw my two cents in with an alternative to footballs.

Frisbees! Imagine a machine which can pick up and throw a frisbee through a goal. How about catching one from a HP and then turning and throwing through a goal? How about catching an opponent's in the air and then scoring with it?

Mike

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

I like the possibilities there

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Student on team #69, HYPER (Helping Youth Pursue Engineering & Robotics), from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Company.

Posted on 7/19/2000 6:08 PM MST

In Reply to: More choices than footballs posted by Michael Betts on 7/19/2000 5:08 PM MST:

Frisbees....I like the sound of that one better than footballs personally. And since ultimate frisbee seems to be a favorite pastime of many FIRST participants, I bet we'd see some killer human players out there.

Even just thinking about the possibility machine wise is intreguing. I can only imagine what my team would come up with brainstorming (this year they wanted to use telekinesis to move the balls...)

Lora

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: I like the possibilities there

Posted by Justin Stiltner.

Student on team #388, Epsilon, from Grundy High School and NASA, American Electric Power, Town of Grundy.

Posted on 7/19/2000 9:27 PM MST

In Reply to: I like the possibilities there posted by Lora Knepper on 7/19/2000 6:08 PM MST:

What about somthing more random?
like rocks or chunks of concrete from a demolished building? or possably combanations of things like bowling pins and boxes? or balls?

Justin Stiltner
Team #388
Epsilon
Grundy Va,

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: