OCCRA
Go to Post I love talking to younger girls and inspiring them to become involved in more technical things. - Adrienne E. [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > FIRST Tech Challenge
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2018, 02:22 PM
no team

SousVide is a splendid one to beholdSousVide is a splendid one to beholdSousVide is a splendid one to beholdSousVide is a splendid one to beholdSousVide is a splendid one to beholdSousVide is a splendid one to beholdSousVide is a splendid one to behold
[FTC]: Question on Pitsco Tank Treads wrt RM02

Has teams used the Pitsco Tank Treads in last year's game ?

https://www.pitsco.com/TETRIX-Tank-Tread-Kit.

I am wondering specifically about if it's considered a Drive Train with regards to RM02 since it obviously violates SPOF as far as a COTS part is concerned.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2018, 02:31 PM
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight) & FTC 9205 (The Iron Maidens)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [FTC]: Question on Pitsco Tank Treads wrt RM02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SousVide View Post
Has teams used the Pitsco Tank Treads in last year's game ?

https://www.pitsco.com/TETRIX-Tank-Tread-Kit.

I am wondering specifically about if it's considered a Drive Train with regards to RM02 since it obviously violates SPOF as far as a COTS part is concerned.
I have seen them used previously (not last year)-- the 1 DoF rule is somewhat arbitrarily enforced.

Regardless, I would not recommend them. They are a pain to work with and liable to snap apart at the least opportune of times.

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Predictor and Neatifier
AKA: Cam Ogden
FRC #3324 (The MetroBots)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2010
Cog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant futureCog has a brilliant future

These treads are so unbelievably awful it's not even funny.

I remember in Res-Q many teams were certain that climbing up the mountain was necessary, but it turned out to be a massive distraction (for most). Are you guys sure you can't have some sort of linear slide that collects the minerals from outside the crater?

Remember, you only need to grab one or two at a time. So there really isn't a necessity to drive through and scoop up a lot of minerals at once.

Edit: If you are deadset on climbing into the creator, I'd recommend these treads:

http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-511-mts-...23-single.aspx

They are pretty good for ftc and lasted a full season in my teams res-q season. (the sprockets have the same mounting 4 hole pattern as many other FTC wheels)

Unless you're Team Hammond in 2002

Last edited by Cog : 09-09-2018 at 03:46 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2018, 09:46 PM
Teaching Teachers to Teach Tech
AKA: Jason Brett
no team (British Columbia FRC teams)

Rookie Year: 2004
dtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond repute

Those Pitsco treads look a lot like the VEX treads, but a a rather inflated price. https://www.vexrobotics.com/276-2168.html

I don't often see VEX teams using the treads for their drivetrain, but they do work well as conveyor belts for intakes. There are even some upgrades to make that easy. https://www.vexrobotics.com/276-2214.html

You might also want to look on Thingiverse and either print one of the existing designs or use it as inspiration for your own. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1325448

Jason
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2018, 02:15 PM
FRC #3556 (Get Smart)

Rookie Year: 2013
JohnStrand is an unknown quantity at this point

Our Team (13057 - GET SMART) used them for driving last season, Relic Recovery. The biggest complaint we have against them is they lack traction, and if you use the little rubber bumpers from Pitsco plan to replace them throughout the season as they disintegrate on the playing field. There are better options for scaling the crater, like the big rubber "Monster-Truck" wheels that Pitsco offers. I have seen them used as conveyors on other robots though this game doesn't really lend itself to a conveyor since you can only control 2 minerals at a time.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Never look back, no, never say die
AKA: Always attack with the warrior's cry...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStrand View Post
Our Team (13057 - GET SMART) used them for driving last season, Relic Recovery. The biggest complaint we have against them is they lack traction, and if you use the little rubber bumpers from Pitsco plan to replace them throughout the season as they disintegrate on the playing field. There are better options for scaling the crater, like the big rubber "Monster-Truck" wheels that Pitsco offers. I have seen them used as conveyors on other robots though this game doesn't really lend itself to a conveyor since you can only control 2 minerals at a time.
I agree, there are better options for crater crossing if a team desires it (some of the quick-builds have done pretty well at avoiding that, at the expense of a more complex arm). The Pitsco monster truck wheels will likely be popular, as will AndyMark compliant wheels and (if you're willing to slim down some hex or churro shaft to 12mm or re-broach) R/C short-course truck tires like those for the Traxxas Slash.

That said, I think it's premature to say conveyors aren't useful. With most competitive robots using four motors on drive, you've got four motors (and then servos) to do everything else (deploying, latching, the mineral auto task, get minerals, score minerals, etc). The ability to stretch one motor to handle two different parts of the mineral handling may be valuable for some designs.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

114 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2018, 03:07 PM
AKA: Sebastien Cournoyer
FRC #5860 (Full Metal Muskrats)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2015
Coach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of light

We use them during ResQ and will not use them again. They can snapping and we had to put rubber band all all over to keep them together.

Agree on the Lynx one, i saw a team at worlds with them and they look/work much better.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: