OCCRA
Go to Post Good engineering often comes down to knowing the difference between "better" and "good enough." - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Team Organization
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 08:14 PM
No longer old enough to volunteer
AKA: Jared Hasen-Klein
no team (Volunteer, 1836 Alum, and extreme instigator)

Rookie Year: 2009
jaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tracking Attendance

1836 tried many things during my time on the team. Here are the different things that worked:
  • Write names on whiteboard when you get there (someone records this later in a Google Sheet)
  • Send a Slack DM to a designated person when you arrive and leave (honor system - depends on the culture of your team. We finally got to the point where students were trusted to be honest letting us know when they were in/out)
  • Having a convoluted Google Form where people indicated their ability which generates a checklist that a designated person goes around and checks off - most work upfront but pretty easy once it's all set up)
  • Not taking attendance. This is not a joke. It worked very well once we got to the point where we had a positive culture and trusted students to come whenever they could. We made sure that all students new the commitment required to be part of the team. And almost everyone had the self-awareness to know if they were being a productive team member. This doesn't work for everyone but if you can pull it off, this is amazing, easy on everyone, and promotes trust and commitment.
Dean's List Finalist // The Blue Alliance developer // Los Angeles FLL VOY 2017 // CPP 2022 // *51 FIRST Events and Counting!* // Team 1836: The MilkenKnights Class of 2018

―――
FREE ROBOTICS RESOURCES // Admin of: FB's FIRST ROBOTICS NETWORK // How to: FIRST DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION
―――
"I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary." -Billy Joel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: