OCCRA
Go to Post You won't find this in a manual anywhere but you will need COUGH DROPS!! If you haven't started losing your voice by Friday afternoon, you aren't getting the full experience. - wendymom [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 02:55 PM
FRC #0666

Rookie Year: 2017
SecretStudent69 will become famous soon enoughSecretStudent69 will become famous soon enough
Scouting Tablets or Phone?

So, I decided to purchase some Tablets and Phones for scouting, I've already gone ahead to create my own custom app for it, I am primarily looking for a device that is Androids. I was wondering does anyone have a good place where I could get cheap tablets for that usage. I'm interested in purchasing 10 tablets.

An alternative is that if anyone has an idea of a way I could have an app that would run both on Android and IOS devices. That way I could avoid this and get this to run on both devices that would be helpful.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 03:12 PM
AKA: Tim Flynn
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe), #1228 (RoboTribe)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2016
tjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scouting Tablets or Phone?

There are some incredibly cheap android tablets you can buy online.

As for apps that work on both, you can write a web app, but transmitting the data back to an original source should comply with event and venue rules regardless (no Wifi).

1257 (2016) - Student
1257 (2017-Present) - Overactive Alumnus | 1228 (2017-Present) - I do stuff
KD2KRT
Papers: Encyclopedia Robotica v2 | An FRC Anthology
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 05:32 PM
sparkE
AKA: James
FRC #2168 (The Aluminum Falcons)

Rookie Year: 2009
otherguy is a splendid one to beholdotherguy is a splendid one to beholdotherguy is a splendid one to beholdotherguy is a splendid one to beholdotherguy is a splendid one to beholdotherguy is a splendid one to beholdotherguy is a splendid one to behold

Last year we purchased a number of Kindle fire 7" tablets off of Amazon. They were around $30 each during a sale. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go on sale again in November or December.

We also purchased screen protectors and child proof cases for around $5 each ( from different seller) like this in team colors: https://m.ebay.com/itm/EVA-Handle-Ca...e/282643495944

The only down sides to the Kindle fire is that they don't have Google play services installed out of the box. You can however install the APKs manually and it will work fine.
Also some of them come with lock screen advertisements.
Their cameras are not good (if you were going to use them for put scouting)
The default launcher can't be customized, but you can replace it with something like Evie for a less cluttered home screen.

They are otherwise pretty decent little tablets. The best for the price range in my oppinion.
I think they worked out really well this year and was a major step up over having match scouters use their own phones with our app (like we had done the year prior).

I have a detailed write-up on how we configured ours if you are interested email me at james@team2168.org

We use AppSheet as the basis for our scouting app. This makes app development real easy, and let's us sync all our data to a Google sheet.
AppSheet works on IOS and Android no problem.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 06:11 PM
Head Scout n Strategist
FRC #5943 (The Bad News Gears)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2014
Hailey.faiella is a name known to allHailey.faiella is a name known to allHailey.faiella is a name known to allHailey.faiella is a name known to allHailey.faiella is a name known to allHailey.faiella is a name known to all

Amazon during black Friday...?
Head Scout 18'-19'

Senior Mentor 18'-19'
Team 7016 PV Shock Bots
Drive Coach 18'
Scouting Mentor 18'
SLFF 1.21 GigaWatt 18'-
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2018, 07:13 AM
sparkE
AKA: James
FRC #2168 (The Aluminum Falcons)

Rookie Year: 2009
otherguy is a splendid one to beholdotherguy is a splendid one to beholdotherguy is a splendid one to beholdotherguy is a splendid one to beholdotherguy is a splendid one to beholdotherguy is a splendid one to beholdotherguy is a splendid one to behold

Yes looks like black Friday and Christmas last year, there were sales that put it down to $30:
https://camelcamelcamel.com/Fire-Tab...uct/B01IO618J8
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2018, 09:40 AM
Never look back, no, never say die
AKA: Always attack with the warrior's cry...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherguy View Post
Yes looks like black Friday and Christmas last year, there were sales that put it down to $30:
https://camelcamelcamel.com/Fire-Tab...uct/B01IO618J8
And if you went Warehouse Deals, you could've gotten some last October/November for $25.

Source: Got 11 of them last October/November for $25 each.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

114 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: