OCCRA
Go to Post Why is the battery labeled "battery"? - Vermeulen [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
  #121   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 10:16 AM
AKA: Matthew Stone
FRC #0302 (The Dragons)
Team Role: Human Player

Rookie Year: 2014
GearLOading is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2019 Game Speculation

Whatever the game is, I know that FIRST to realize that need to make a game that you cannot make a game all by yourself no matter what. Realizing that the Cheesy Poofs went undefeated they could win every single match no matter who they were facing.

I think an entertaining game would involve recovering your spaceship by removing boulders and shooting them into space and placing fuel into the ship and climbing on the space ships during end game. Qualification points would be for removing all the boulders from your spaceship(total of 15) and fueling up the space ship(total of 60 balls needed). I think this game would be very cool especially with seeing what kind of robots certain teams come up with for doing certain tasks.

Anyways I support anything that FIRST decides to put out for 2019
  #122   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2018, 08:49 PM
No more carpet ripping Robots
AKA: Nikita
FRC #2579 (LIC Robodogs)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
Bluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant futureBluman56 has a brilliant future

I'm starting to feel that thematically the goal of each match is to find ice... hence deep space. Not sure how that will play out but curious to see if I'm right.
  #123   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2018, 06:28 AM
RIP Bag
FRC #5727 (REaCH Omegabytes)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Tomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluman56 View Post
I'm starting to feel that thematically the goal of each match is to find ice... hence deep space. Not sure how that will play out but curious to see if I'm right.
And for all you teams who have events at hockey rinks, just build a robot to take off the layers of flooring to reach the ice. Too bad NC will not have an event at a hockey rink this year (Winston Salem last year was great).
  #124   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2018, 09:50 PM
FRC #6101 (Strange Quarks Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
6101 Robert is on a distinguished road

There are no pits. Once the robot is bagged, it is "launched" and no one can touch it until the end of the season.

Also there's a 6 minute time delay for any commands sent to the robot and the on-board cameras are the only way we can see what our robot is doing.
  #125   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2018, 09:54 PM
418 alumnus, 696 mentor
AKA: Carlos Gross Jones
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)

Rookie Year: 2009
CarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6101 Robert View Post
Also there's a 6 minute time delay for any commands sent to the robot and the on-board cameras are the only way we can see what our robot is doing.
It's been said before, but I think a time delay (similar to controlling deep-space probes) would be a really cool challenge. I would be extremely surprised if that were actually a part of the 2019 game, given how difficult it would be to implement from a networking perspective... but it would be really cool, nonetheless.
  #126   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2018, 01:38 PM
FRC #2877 (Ligerbots)
Team Role: Photography

Rookie Year: 2017
fiftykay is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it HAS been 10 years since Lunacy so I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back the specialized flooring. Something bumpy like the surface of another planet.
  #127   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2018, 02:22 AM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Have you heard Dave Lavery's description of the Curiosity Mars Lander? He came down to New Orleans a couple of summers ago and made your suggestion sound lame. The bottom line was that the landing was completely done on Mars several minutes before anyone on earth knew what the first wisps of Martian atmosphere were doing to the lander.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #128   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2018, 02:45 AM
418 alumnus, 696 mentor
AKA: Carlos Gross Jones
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)

Rookie Year: 2009
CarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosGJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
The bottom line was that the landing was completely done on Mars several minutes before anyone on earth knew what the first wisps of Martian atmosphere were doing to the lander.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_Af_o9Q9s
  #129   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2018, 05:20 PM
FRC #4327 (Q-Branch)
Team Role: Leadership

dkerschbaum is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The robot also has magnets on it that attract to the ceiling, so we can simulate the lower gravity.
  #130   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2018, 11:18 PM
Dannoooooooooo
AKA: Dan
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)
Team Role: College Student

jnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerschbaum View Post
The robot also has magnets on it that attract to the ceiling, so we can simulate the lower gravity.
Or, what if robots had to weigh a minumim of 150lbs, to simulate stronger gravity. And the game objects are bowling balls.

2014: MIHOW CA, Finalist; MILIV EI 2015: MISOU Finalist; MILIV CA, Winner; MIBED Winner; MICMP Winner
2016: MILIV CA; MICMP 16th Alliance- 8-F winner 2017: MISOU CA; MILIV EI; MICMP CA
2018: MILIV EI, MICMP EI, DAR-CUR Entrepreneurship
  #131   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2018, 12:07 AM
FRC #1665 (Weapons of Mass Construction)
Team Role: Driver

Aaron Li will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrishna3082 View Post
Climbing endgame "Lift Off/Blast Off" seems like a natural conclusion, but if all of my four years as a student in FRC are climbing, I will be a bit disappointed. I think this could be an interesting year to bring back the triple balance, perhaps getting onto your alliance's "Launch Pad" at the end of the match.
Oh. NO.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
img]http://i.imgur.com/hBGnCkd.png[/img

#132   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
This year the Cheesy Poofs were undefeated, and I don't think FIRST wants that to happen again. You don't want one robot to be able to carry two bad robots, against 3 good ones.
Who said 254 was "carrying" the other 2 "bad" robots? Definitely during auto but throughout the match? Not on Einsteins!

#133   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltisVonWaltis View Post
2003 says "Hi" as well.
Lol, 254 was savage at silicon valley during quaters.

#134   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2018, 02:31 PM
FRC #2898 (Flying Hedgehogs)

Rookie Year: 2019
MarcoPulone is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an idea! the robot deposits a lander (Minibot) that then has to do something and then the robot has to go repair something else. also the floor is lunacy and the court is lit by black lights. floor is "ice"
  #135   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-26-2018, 04:01 PM
FRC #0175 (Buzz)

Rookie Year: 2010
jprapacki is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBKahouna View Post
I HAVE! What you describe was basically my bedroom in 1973-75!

I second the motion!

OK, let's start the Destination: Deep Space unofficial playlist:
  • Elton John - Rocket Man
  • Adam Ant - Apollo 9
  • Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, The Great Gig in the Sky
  • Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
  • Richard Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra, op.30 (Opening theme of 2001: A Space Odyssey) This should be the opening to each FRC competition day, IMHO

What else?
Add to that list: Jefferson Starship - Have You Seen the Stars Tonight (from 1970)

I'm thinking, if not brought up previously, deep space travel is all about resources: food, power, O2. Game could be about acquiring and using up the precious resources during deep space flight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: