OCCRA
Go to Post IRI: where egos go to die...uhm..I mean fly! - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Volunteer
AKA: Evan Hochstein
no team (No team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
ehochstein has a reputation beyond reputeehochstein has a reputation beyond reputeehochstein has a reputation beyond reputeehochstein has a reputation beyond reputeehochstein has a reputation beyond reputeehochstein has a reputation beyond reputeehochstein has a reputation beyond reputeehochstein has a reputation beyond reputeehochstein has a reputation beyond reputeehochstein has a reputation beyond reputeehochstein has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Near-death experiences or injuries during build season?

Happened to me two days ago... Hazardous metal 'keychain' ring on a drill press chuck key... Piece of the metal ring sticking out and as I go to use the key, the piece sticking out dives into my pointer finger all the way down to the bone. Thankfully it wasn't rusty.
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2012, 01:41 PM
does what needs to be done.
FRC #2449 (Out of Orbit Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
daniel_dsouza has a spectacular aura aboutdaniel_dsouza has a spectacular aura about

This didn't happen to me, but to someone else on my team.
We had assigned one of our sophomores to start cutting wood for the bumpers. Her tool of choice was a handheld jigsaw. She wasn't wearing safety glasses, despite the fact that the safety captain was standing right next to her.

I'm sure you're expecting something to come flying out of somewhere right now...

Thankfully, she didn't have to learn to wear safety glasses the hard way, but her untied hair did get stuck in the jigsaw motor. She luckily escaped unscathed (minus some hair). This should serve as a reminder to keep all long/loose items like hair, jewelry, clothes, headphones tied back or out of the way.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Former Team Overdrive member
AKA: Joseph
FTC #2753 (Team Overdrive)

Rookie Year: 2010
electron is just really niceelectron is just really niceelectron is just really niceelectron is just really nice

Definitely doesn't qualify as "near-death," but one time while drilling through an axel for a prototype kicker (during breakaway), the drill bit shattered. If I recall correctly, it was an 1/8" bit, and I must have been applying much more pressure then I realized. 3 different pieces of the bit hacked their way though 3 different fingers before sticking themselves into the palm of my hand.

Ok, probably not as bad as I made it sound, but it really helped remind me to be more careful after that.

I may be one of the few people that has moved from FRC to FTC, and enjoyed it
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2012, 03:52 PM
FRC #0201 (FEDS 201)
Team Role: Driver

ChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud of

Almost fell out of my chair in the CAD room once.
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2012, 03:56 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

I took a hit to the head from a robot arm section that got loose at a regional.

I happened to be wearing a hard hat, so nothing bad happened to me. (And that section was PVC.)

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Still Addicted to Chief Delphi
AKA: Luis Trueba
FRC #4301 (New Tech Narcissists)

Whippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Whippet

I almost had a pile of heavy C++ code fall on me once. Fortunately, I got out of the way in time.
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karibou View Post
^Agreed. I once sent a chuck key flying from the lathe to the back wall of the machine room because of that, and boy did tired-Kara get a shock out of that one.
Not an event that involved our team directly, but (rumor has it) a shop where we worked for a few years had an employee die when a chuck key got left in one of the high-power lathes.

One of my friends also had a lathe chuck come loose, again on one of the high-powered lathes at the same shop. The part guard kept the 50lb chuck from running him over. A post-mortem by the shop's lead tech found that the chuck was faulty.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:06 PM
KB3ZKL
AKA: Griffin
FRC #2590 (Nemesis) #2607 (The Fighting Robovikings)
Team Role: Mentor

dellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I almost had a pile of heavy C++ code fall on me once. Fortunately, I got out of the way in time.
Quote:
Ah, the dangers of being a programmer.

My friends laptop is a piece of *$#%, despite the fact that is has an i7 even though it is 1.5 years old. It is electrically unsound, so if we touch him while he uses the trackpad, he will be shocked.

I'm sure it hurts, as the sound was quite audible, but wow was that a hilarious day.

2017 IRI Winners - Thanks 195 and 1619!
2017 MAR Championship Winners - Thanks 1807 and 3929!
2017 Festival de Robotique de Montréal Finalists
2016 CMP Carson 2nd Seed
2016 MAR Championship Engineering Excellence Award
2016 MAR Westtown Innovation in Control Award
2016 MAR Hatboro-Horsham Industrial Design Award
2015 Upper Darby District Winners - Thanks 225 and 4460!
2015 Upper Darby District Industrial Design Award
2015 Hatboro-Horsham District Winners - Thanks 2590 and 5407!
2014 Virginia Regional Winners - Thanks so much 384 and 1610, I will never forget that experience!
2014 Virginia Quality Award
2014 MAR Bridgewater-Raritan Innovation in Control Award
2014 MAR Hatboro-Horsham Gracious Professionalism Award
2013 MAR Bridgewater-Raritan Innovation in Control Award
2012 MAR Lenape Quality Award
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:11 PM
FRC #4084

farmersvilleRob is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherSD View Post
Us poor CAD teams RIP...
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2012, 07:49 PM
FRC #0159 (Alpine Robotics)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2009
Alex Chambers is an unknown quantity at this point

In my rookie year we were bending sheet metal with an enormous press and the rookie I was working with drooped the iron handle on my head and gave me a concussion worse then any head injury i got from playing football.
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Tigerbytes Vice President
AKA: Linda Pham
FRC #1775 (Tigerbytes)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2009
Kirin is an unknown quantity at this point

Not exactly exciting but I've stapled my fair share of fingers to the back of bumpers. Oh man, I've poured my blood, sweat, and tears into robotics and I'll never regret it!
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Will MC/GA for food
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)

CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite a Near Death experience, but I've got 2 stories:
Both of them are from 2010: and our mentor was bent sanding a strip of aluminum for our robot. It slipped from his hand, took a round on the belt sander, and shot straight up into the ceiling. I think it's still hanging from there today...
The other one would be that if you're taking video of a robot kicking an object, and said object gets bigger, that object is most likely speeding towards your face. Do yourself a favor and duck.
  • Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together - nothing works and nobody knows why.
MMR 2410 Student (2010 - 2013) | MMR 2410 Mentor (2013 - Present)
FTC Game Announcer / MC (2014 - Present) | FTC Referee (2017-Present)
FRC MC (2015 - Present) | FRC Referee (2016-17) | FRC A/V (2017) | FRC Robot Inspector (2018)
VEX MC (2017-Present)
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:38 PM
FRC #0701 (RoboVikes)

Rookie Year: 2008
krazyman1013 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was milling some lightning holes in a frame piece when the bit broke and flew by my face, and cutting metal on a band saw when the blade broke and whipped me in the neck.
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:44 PM
College Mentor
AKA: Trent Borman
no team (Surviving Grad School)

Trent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Trent B Send a message via Yahoo to Trent B

Cable on winch in breakaway was caught up on a bolt, I tried to wiggle the floating bot while grabbing the cable to get it off the bolt during practice. End result, cable whipped back really fast and took a small chunk out of my thumb.
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:52 PM
FRC #0701 (RoboVikes)

krazyman1013 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is most of the stories, however when the team coach lets you ride a robot to test the effect of weight addition and then try to balance on the 2012 ramp, only to see the robot tip and fall on the student.

Sometime the urge to do something stupid like that just overwhelms the best of us, especially when several students are pressing for it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: