OCCRA
Go to Post Looks like I'm late, but in the grand tradition of Chief Delphi, I'll butt in and beat the dead horse anyway! - PayneTrain [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-20-2018, 04:14 PM
FRC #2357 (System Meltdown)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2012
Mr. Deal is an unknown quantity at this point
KC Regionals

I was wondering if anybody in the Kansas City area happens to know if the K.C. Regionals were going to be back at the MCC Business & Technology Campus in 2019?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-20-2018, 05:03 PM
Mentor
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond repute
Re: KC Regionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Deal View Post
I was wondering if anybody in the Kansas City area happens to know if the K.C. Regionals were going to be back at the MCC Business & Technology Campus in 2019?
MCC seems to be out next year. PM sent.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-20-2018, 06:36 PM
FRC #6886 (Synthesizers)

Rookie Year: 2015
BCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud of

Any word on where any KC events may be held instead?
2018 Highest Rookie Seed -- Heartland
2018 Highest Rookie Seed -- Greater Kansas City
2018 Highest Rookie Seed -- Galileo Division
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-20-2018, 07:37 PM
Lead Mentor
AKA: Travis
FRC #2723 (Team Rocket)

Rookie Year: 2011
BSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud of

Also, any word on which weeks they will be? My understanding is that OKC and Rock City will both be on week 2, and Texas is now off the table unless you are from Texas.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-20-2018, 10:09 PM
FTA since 2013
FRC #0935
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
scottgoering is on a distinguished road

MCC is indeed out for 2019. They are remodeling/expanding and the exhibit hall will no longer be available.
I don’t think anything has been finalized yet, but last I heard, we were trying to make sure to spread out the regionals, so that we wouldn’t have multiple events on back to back weekends. They will be held in high schools, most likely. Again, nothing finalized.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-20-2018, 11:45 PM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)

bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSV View Post
Also, any word on which weeks they will be? My understanding is that OKC and Rock City will both be on week 2, and Texas is now off the table unless you are from Texas.
Supposedly there's going to be 3 smaller events, so it's possible that at least 1 regional won't be at the same time as OKC.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2018, 07:50 AM
FRC #2357 (System Meltdown)

Rookie Year: 2012
Mr. Deal is an unknown quantity at this point

They just went from 1 regional to 2. Makes me wonder why that would be done knowing of the changes coming this year.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2018, 09:28 AM
FRC #6886 (Synthesizers)

BCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud of

3 smaller events? Could we have districts coming to Missouri/Kansas in a couple of years?
2018 Highest Rookie Seed -- Heartland
2018 Highest Rookie Seed -- Greater Kansas City
2018 Highest Rookie Seed -- Galileo Division
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2018, 02:20 PM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)

bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR-Jim View Post
3 smaller events? Could we have districts coming to Missouri/Kansas in a couple of years?
I doubt it, unless they can work around FIRST's state border policy and figure out where to draw the district borders, considering that St. Louis is a place. (Maybe let the teams decide, but that's for another thread)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2018, 01:10 PM
Master of Tactics
AKA: Scott Hasek
FRC #1987

Rookie Year: 2013
New Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR-Jim View Post
There are currently a few hiccups in trying to reason out a district model for Missouri and Kansas and I pretty sure there has been a thread on this somewhere.

The point of moving to two events this year was so that all the local teams would be guaranteed to compete locally if they wanted to. We have/had something close to 65 teams that would call the KC regional there home regional and only room for about 60 of those teams. Also there was always interest from out of state teams to come and play but due to the large number of local teams there just wasn't much room for them to come and play.

The reason for moving to three smaller events, in addition to the fact that the BTC will be unavailable, is to try and keep the capacity for the same numbers of teams that we had last year but then also try and give each team a larger number of matches. This 3 regional format will also allow teams from the Kansas City area who don't have the resources to travel to attend more than 1 regional and not necessarily have to go back to back.

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2018, 06:49 PM
Mentor
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how everything will shake out, but I'd like to see 3 events spaced out rather than back-to-back-to-back. Being that the venues are schools, I figure they will have to work around schedules. Spring break weeks make a lot of sense for that reason, particularly with a regional not being a district event.

Now, I personally liked having a Fri-Sun event, and maybe that will be the case with the smaller venues, which makes some more dates (inservice) possible.

Exploring times schools in KC metro have spring break, I think the first event will be Week 2 (March 8-10) on the Kansas side. Then if you stuck with spring breaks you'd have a Week 3 and Week 4 event. The Week 4 would be in Missouri (when most have spring break).

My preference would be for it to be a Weeks 2, 4, and 6, but I could see it being 2, 3, 4.

Now another factor is the playing field. I don't know whether KC will just have a field to ourselves, or whether it will play in later/earlier weeks somewhere else. If you have 234, you could share with other regions vs. 246.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2018, 07:41 PM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreen View Post
Being that the venues are schools, I figure they will have to work around schedules.
Is this confirmed? If so, I'm hyped for a regional version of CowTown.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2018, 08:50 PM
Linda Pickett
FRC #1730 (Team Driven)

Rookie Year: 2008
lpickett is a jewel in the roughlpickett is a jewel in the roughlpickett is a jewel in the rough

It can be difficult for some schools to have the room for very many teams. It might be a little smaller number of teams if we go to three regionals. I know Lee's Summit, Sedalia and Wentzville can handle the field size for a small number of teams, but it can get a little difficult with school functions unless it is on spring break.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2018, 07:44 AM
AKA: Lucas Pickett
FRC #2410 (Metal Mustangs)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
lapickett has a spectacular aura aboutlapickett has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpickett View Post
It can be difficult for some schools to have the room for very many teams. It might be a little smaller number of teams if we go to three regionals. I know Lee's Summit, Sedalia and Wentzville can handle the field size for a small number of teams, but it can get a little difficult with school functions unless it is on spring break.
Mom is that you?
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2018, 09:47 AM
FTA since 2013
FRC #0935

Rookie Year: 2001
scottgoering is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Lightning View Post
There are currently a few hiccups in trying to reason out a district model for Missouri and Kansas and I pretty sure there has been a thread on this somewhere.

The point of moving to two events this year was so that all the local teams would be guaranteed to compete locally if they wanted to. We have/had something close to 65 teams that would call the KC regional there home regional and only room for about 60 of those teams. Also there was always interest from out of state teams to come and play but due to the large number of local teams there just wasn't much room for them to come and play.

The reason for moving to three smaller events, in addition to the fact that the BTC will be unavailable, is to try and keep the capacity for the same numbers of teams that we had last year but then also try and give each team a larger number of matches. This 3 regional format will also allow teams from the Kansas City area who don't have the resources to travel to attend more than 1 regional and not necessarily have to go back to back.
In addition to what the other (and much better looking) Scott said, finding a venue that meets all of FIRST's requirements and is within an acceptable budget, is harder than it sounds. There aren't many in the KC Metro that can support a larger (48+ team) event. And those that are large enough, are ridiculously priced.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: