OCCRA
Go to Post And if you are unhappy about me using "robot", let me break your heart over what we've done to the word "cheesecake". - Foster [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-06-2018, 01:56 PM
AKA: Matt Esser
FRC #5740 (Trojanators)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2015
messer5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud of
Looking for Swerve Module to Prototype

Hey CD,

I have some AWESOME access to resources now that im on a college campus and I am looking to prototype a swerve module. I have access to CNC plasma cutters, waterjets, mills, and a really nice trumpf laser cutter.

I havent really joined the "$werve" CAD bandwagon but I'm really interested in fabricating a module that could be used in future applications and introduce myself into the swerve realm.

Without including metal or electronics costs im looking for a tested module design that costs less then $300 and is not extremely complex to machine.

If anyone is willing and able to post/ PM CAD files and photos of previously fabricated and tested modules that would be amazing. I'm really not looking to prototype anything new but rather than just build and work with a module that has worked well in the past and can be easily worked with zero swerve knowledge.

Thanks!

A good driver is always better than a good robot.

2015: Winner of the Rookie Inspiration Award
2016: Quarterfinalists at Greater Pittsburgh Regional and Buckeye Regional
2017: Dean's List Finalist
2018: Engineering Inspiration Award; Quarterfinalists at the Miami Valley and Greater Pittsburgh Regional

Last edited by messer5740 : 09-06-2018 at 05:02 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-06-2018, 02:18 PM
FRC #5818

Rookie Year: 2012
Andrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for Swerve Module to Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by messer5740 View Post
Hey CD,

I have some AWESOME access to resources now that im on a college campus and I am looking to prototype a swerve module. I have access to CNC plasma cutters, waterjets, mills, and a really nice trumpf laser cutter.

I havent really joined the "$werve" CAD bandwagon but I'm really interested in fabricating a module that could be used in future applications and introduce myself into the swerve realm.

Without including metal or electronics costs im looking for a tested module design that costs less then $200 and is not extremely complex to machine.

If anyone is willing and able to post/ PM CAD files and photos of previously fabricated and tested modules that would be amazing. I'm really not looking to prototype anything new but rather than just build and work with a module that has worked well in the past and can be easily worked with zero swerve knowledge.

Thanks!
Hi Matt,

We built a software development swerve platform with 2 modules. The modules used as many COTS parts as possible. If you already have some common FIRST parts this might be a pretty cheap way to go. All the CAD, BOM, fabrication drawings, and code are at the following link.

https://www.armabot.com/collections/.../simple-swerve

Hope this helps!
Mentor FRC1717 2012-2013
Mentor FRC5818 2016-2018
Armabot and FRC team involvement are unaffiliated.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-06-2018, 02:46 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Duerner View Post
Hi Matt,

We built a software development swerve platform with 2 modules. The modules used as many COTS parts as possible. If you already have some common FIRST parts this might be a pretty cheap way to go. All the CAD, BOM, fabrication drawings, and code are at the following link.

https://www.armabot.com/collections/.../simple-swerve

Hope this helps!
It looks like the price sums to about $750 per module. Even taking out the Versaplanetaries, Talon, encoders, and gear kits, I'm seeing $338 per module.
Maybe finding an old Revolution Pro or Wild Swerve module could be better.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-06-2018, 02:51 PM
FRC #5818

Rookie Year: 2012
Andrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Duerner has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the BOM cost is a little inflated because you have to buy packs of screws off McMaster. You could also save a bit machining your own Right Angle Drive frame.
Mentor FRC1717 2012-2013
Mentor FRC5818 2016-2018
Armabot and FRC team involvement are unaffiliated.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-06-2018, 08:12 PM
FRC #4048

llung is an unknown quantity at this point

AndyMark has the AM-3009 module that runs $325. It's not a CAD design for you to build but maybe it's something you can look at and draw inspiration from. We've used it the past 2 years and while it's pretty good and relatively affordable, there are definitely areas where it can be improved.

good luck!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Alumnus
AKA: Bryce Croucher
FRC #2471 (Team Mean Machine)

Rookie Year: 2006
Bryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond repute

This is admittedly somewhat old at this point, but It was fairly simple and cheap to prototype.

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/41039
I think it took a couple days, and costed the team less than $200 dollars to put together, but we had a lot of the parts on hand.

Let me know if your interested. I might be able to dig up a CAD model and BOM for it.
FRC Team Mean Machine
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2018, 05:55 AM
None #1640 (Sab-bot-age)

Rookie Year: 2007
John Weissman is an unknown quantity at this point

Look up team 1640, swerve central. Sabotage has been doing swerve for 7 years plus and has cad and programming for swerves with bearing loads and such. I hope you can find some help with your project.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2018, 11:28 AM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce2471 View Post
This is admittedly somewhat old at this point, but It was fairly simple and cheap to prototype.

I think it took a couple days, and costed the team less than $200 dollars to put together, but we had a lot of the parts on hand.

Let me know if your interested. I might be able to dig up a CAD model and BOM for it.
I'd be interested if it's not trouble.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-12-2018, 07:06 PM
AKA: Joshua Isakson
FRC #0997 (Spartan Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2017
Delr!n is a glorious beacon of lightDelr!n is a glorious beacon of lightDelr!n is a glorious beacon of lightDelr!n is a glorious beacon of lightDelr!n is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce2471 View Post

This is what our team is doing for a prototype and its been good so far. you can do most if not all the machining on a manual mill but if your doing it on a CNC its really easy to do the only problem is that its vary dated at this point using shafts with keys instead of hex and in some places custom pulleys which shouldn't be a problem if you have a water jet and laser but still kinda a pain. it also uses a banebots planetary with a rs550 not a versa

heres the CAD link btw https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/41070

Last edited by Delr!n : 09-12-2018 at 07:12 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 10:35 PM
AKA: James
FRC #3663 (CPR)

Rookie Year: 2018
Spock81 is an unknown quantity at this point

2910's swerve modules are pretty cool. Not sure how complex to machine though.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2018, 06:57 AM
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)

Rookie Year: 2014
wgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to behold

If you are still looking for a design to build, our CAD is available here.

All the non-COTS parts are made using waterjet. The bearing groove can be cut with a lathe. There is also a list of the COTS parts in that thread. It can be built with either the 775s shown in the CAD model, or with miniCIMs with the standard versaplanetary adaptor.

Our code is also available if you want to build a drivebase and drive it around.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2018, 01:03 PM
AKA: Matt Esser
FRC #5740 (Trojanators)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2015
messer5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgorgen View Post
If you are still looking for a design to build, our CAD is available here.

All the non-COTS parts are made using waterjet. The bearing groove can be cut with a lathe. There is also a list of the COTS parts in that thread. It can be built with either the 775s shown in the CAD model, or with miniCIMs with the standard versaplanetary adaptor.

Our code is also available if you want to build a drivebase and drive it around.
This is really impressive- thank you!

A good driver is always better than a good robot.

2015: Winner of the Rookie Inspiration Award
2016: Quarterfinalists at Greater Pittsburgh Regional and Buckeye Regional
2017: Dean's List Finalist
2018: Engineering Inspiration Award; Quarterfinalists at the Miami Valley and Greater Pittsburgh Regional
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2018, 04:08 PM
FRC #1640

Rookie Year: 2001
Gdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond repute

I'll note that the entire Triple strange module can be printed. We have done this with many mods to integrate our CVT drive parts. So far we have found that a printed module may be robot worthy. A few parts will have to be AL. Most parts with mods for printing are proving very durable. No, we don't have a >$15000 printer. There are some really good filaments on the market now that can be used on affordable printers for structural pieces.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: