OCCRA
Go to Post What if my teams drive train isn't an option? - MARS_James [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2018, 01:50 PM
FRC #6814 (Ellipse)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2017
BryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud of
Introducing FullCircle

Hello FIRST!

I am very proud to announce the official launch of FullCircle! FullCircle is an all-encompassing program designed to help FRC rookies get the necessary resources needed to fulfill the mission and goals of FIRST within their teams and assist them in blasting off into the 2019 season and beyond. This was created by teams, for teams.

Passionate students from across the world have worked tirelessly to produce fantastic resources for all teams to reference and use and many others have volunteered to guide these rookies through their inaugural seasons. These resources, coupled with remote mentorship of rookie teams through the FullCircle Discord server, provide ample opportunity for young teams to maximize their success in both technical and non-technical aspects of FIRST.

THE WEBSITE
The website is the hub of FullCircle. It has two primary purposes: cataloguing content and recruiting rookie teams. All content on the website is sorted into two main categories: “technical” and “team building”. “Technical” refers to articles pertaining to the STEM side of FIRST, while “team building” refers to the culture side of FIRST. All materials are created with the aim to be a thorough introduction to a topic, perfect to be a jumping-off point for more research. While most articles are written by the wonderful FullCircle student mentor team, some articles are written by other sources and were graciously offered to us for use on the website. The other purpose of the FullCircle site is for recruitment. Rookie teams can visit the site and fill out a short form, connecting the team with the FC administrators, who will then get them settled on the FullCircle Discord.

THE DISCORD
The FullCircle Discord is the bread and butter of the FullCircle program. Rookie team students will be invited to the server, where they will have access to nine different channels for asking questions and joining in on discussion, similar to the main FRC Discord. Each rookie team will also have a private channel for team discussion and for pinning projects and documents. Over the summer, the FC student mentors have been developing a curriculum for the rookie teams, setting goals and benchmarks for things like drafting a mission statement, creating a brand, and planning for a sustainable future. In the pre-season and build season, the student mentors will be working with the rookie students to meet those goals and prepare for their inaugural season in FIRST robotics.

THE STUDENT MENTORS
The FullCircle student mentors are a team of students and recent alumni who are passionate about making a change in the lives of rookie teams. The student mentors are skilled in a wide range of fields and are excited to begin helping new teams! Check the “About Us” tab of the website to see the current list of FullCircle student mentors. There was an active choice within FullCircle to keep the mentorship to just students and recent alumni. This decision was made because we believe there can be a wholly different atmosphere in a completely student environment, and want rookie teams to have a chance to learn and connect with their peers. Keeping the mentorship to students and recent alumni also means that there will be a fresh breath into the program each year as student mentors step away and eager new students come to take their place. That’s not to say we don’t love our team mentors! A team’s mentors are an integral part to success, and we respect that. And of course, an FC student mentor’s first priority is to their team. FullCircle never wants to be in the position where teams feel like they are losing their students to other projects.

HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT FROM THE COMPASS ALLIANCE?
This is a question we get a lot! Believe it or not, FullCircle was dreamed up independently of The Compass Alliance’s FIRST Tag Teams program! Our first response is: is there harm in having more resources to help rookie teams to succeed? We certainly don’t think so! On top of creating another set of materials for rookie teams, FullCircle has an inherently different setup from The Compass Alliance when it comes to mentoring teams. With the creation of the FullCircle Discord, rookie teams will have access to the same diverse set of student mentors, ensuring that all their needs are met. They will also have a chance to make connections with and learn from other rookie teams on the server. With the development of the FullCircle curriculum, the centralized Discord server ensures that all rookie teams are maximizing their opportunities.

Now of course, FullCircle isn’t “done”. We have a whole host of new articles in the pipeline, and we’re always looking for ways to improve the website. Today just marks the day we get to make our hard work over the last 5 months public.

Without further adieu:
http://fullcirclefrc.org/
-Bryce Hanson
FullCircle Founder
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2018, 06:05 PM
AKA: Matt Esser
FRC #5740 (Trojanators)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2015
messer5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud of
Re: Introducing FullCircle

So glad this is finally out there and available for all rookie teams!

A good driver is always better than a good robot.

2015: Winner of the Rookie Inspiration Award
2016: Quarterfinalists at Greater Pittsburgh Regional and Buckeye Regional
2017: Dean's List Finalist
2018: Engineering Inspiration Award; Quarterfinalists at the Miami Valley and Greater Pittsburgh Regional
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2018, 07:02 PM
easily impressed by fancy acronyms
AKA: Christopher Tinker
FRC #7093 (Veritas Valiants)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2018
deslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud ofdeslusionary has much to be proud of

Is there any way to help contribute resources? I would be interested in fleshing out the programming section of the website. This is a great resource I hope many rookie teams will find!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2018, 12:10 AM
AKA: Thomas
FRC #4159 (Cardinalbotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
Chak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to see all these new resources appear in the last few years! Yet, deslusionary's comment got me thinking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslusionary View Post
...This is a great resource I hope many rookie teams will find!
(emphasis mine)

What is the barrier to helping rookie teams? Is it a lack of resources that better suits each individual team? If so, then having FullCircle and a novel approach would be awesome. On the other hand (and it seems more likely to me), perhaps the problem is connecting "offline" rookie teams to the help they need. I worry that FullCircle will end up only helping the kind of people who would've found CD or any of the other online FRC communities by themselves anyways. Does FullCircle have a fresh new approach to connecting with the "offline" teams that would otherwise not find the wider FRC community online?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2018, 12:40 AM
FRC #5740 (Trojanators)

messer5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chak View Post
It's great to see all these new resources appear in the last few years! Yet, deslusionary's comment got me thinking:

(emphasis mine)

What is the barrier to helping rookie teams? Is it a lack of resources that better suits each individual team? If so, then having FullCircle and a novel approach would be awesome. On the other hand (and it seems more likely to me), perhaps the problem is connecting "offline" rookie teams to the help they need. I worry that FullCircle will end up only helping the kind of people who would've found CD or any of the other online FRC communities by themselves anyways. Does FullCircle have a fresh new approach to connecting with the "offline" teams that would otherwise not find the wider FRC community online?
Yes!!

From personal experience, I had built my team in 2015 from the ground up with absolutely no assistance from any FIRST team, online FIRST resource, and very little mentor assistance. Full Circle would have REVOLUTIONIZED my team because we would have been able to gain knowledge about what FIRST really was in regard to mission, goals, and technical applications before our first regional. 5740 would likely not be here unless it was for the eventual discovery of FIRST’s online community almost a year and a half later.

We have waited to push Full Circle to all regional directors for the time being since the official 2019 registration period has not ended but from our “beta” testing in the Greater Pittsburgh region, we have immense support from our regional director who says they will be linking these resources to every registered rookie team.

To answer your question, we are specifically targeting rookie teams who have no idea what Chief is or what FRC Reddit or Dicsord is and introducing them to basic and necessary concepts of FRC and linking them to the resources that are used by successful teams worldwide.

I have yet to see anything that really supports rookies in such a way and I am very excited to be working with the full circle students and teams that have taken such a commitment to rookie success.

2018: Engineering Inspiration Award; Quarterfinalists at the Miami Valley and Greater Pittsburgh Regional
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2018, 07:55 AM
It's pronounced Basl with a soft s
AKA: @BaselThe2nd
FRC #3504 (Girls of Steel)

Rookie Year: 2009
Basel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by messer5740 View Post
To answer your question, we are specifically targeting rookie teams who have no idea what Chief is or what FRC Reddit or Dicsord is
How?
Team 3504 | 2018-Present | Grad Student
“Be excellent in everything you do and the results will just happen.”
-Paul Copioli
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2018, 08:16 AM
FRC #5740 (Trojanators)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel A View Post
How?
Specifically by pushing this out through regional directors and or senior mentors who have direct contact with teams which allows them the opportunity to explore the resources of Full Circle and other platforms that could have been previously unheard of by those teams/students/mentors.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Specifically by pushing this out through regional directors and or senior mentors who have direct contact with teams which allows them the opportunity to explore the resources of Full Circle and other platforms that could have been previously unheard of by those teams/students/mentors.
Is that enough? I have been on several post-rookie teams (2nd year) who still didn't know what they didn't know but thought they did. It's difficult to help those who dont want help.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2018, 10:25 AM
FRC #5740 (Trojanators)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso View Post
Is that enough? I have been on several post-rookie teams (2nd year) who still didn't know what they didn't know but thought they did. It's difficult to help those who dont want help.
Even if teams do not want help from the Full Circle team, they still will be able to utilize the created resources that can guide them through the technical and non-technical aspects of FIRST and expand their horizons to other FIRST resources.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2018, 10:38 AM
The Stupid District
AKA: Justin
FRC #5254 (HYPE)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2012
jtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Even if teams do not want help from the Full Circle team, they still will be able to utilize the created resources that can guide them through the technical and non-technical aspects of FIRST and expand their horizons to other FIRST resources.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink
It's not just a matter of whether or not the team wants help. It's also a matter of whether or not the RDs or FSMs will endorse an organization like Full Circle or The Compass Alliance.

Not every RD/FSM will.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2018, 10:47 AM
FRC #6814 (Ellipse)

BryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud ofBryceHanson has much to be proud of

To add on to what Matt has been saying, we are definitely aware and honing in on the point that some rookies (or even more veteran teams) don't try to branch out into the community. For me personally, talking with more experienced FIRSTers is what got me so involved and ultimately was a huge factor in why my team succeeded.

In addition to talking with Regional Directors and FIRST Senior Mentors, one of the things we plan to do is have our student mentors reach out at kickoff events and connect with teams by referencing the list of new rookie teams.

Another factor is, as much as we'd love to, we don't have the infrastructure to take on every single rookie team in a year with the student remote mentorship program. Chances are, we'll be starting with a relatively low volume of rookie teams this year compared to what we hope to find in future years.

The TL;DR is that we have identified that unconnected rookies are the prime audience for this program, and we want to loop them in by reaching out through personal connection, RDs, FSMs, and at kick-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslusionary View Post
Is there any way to help contribute resources? I would be interested in fleshing out the programming section of the website. This is a great resource I hope many rookie teams will find!
We will definitely be looking for more resources and would love to work with you and other community members to develop larger article libraries! We're currently just getting off the ground now, but stay tuned; there will be a CD post about getting more articles when it comes time for that
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso View Post
There's a bigger problem. The bottleneck that is FSMs, RDs, and District Coordinators. Teams are left without a direct link from HQ to these other new teams in the area.

This works out great for some teams and not so great for others. We're dependent on a handful of (overworked) people to do the right thing and put new teams in touch with more established teams. There is no direct line of communication.

I'll applaud any effort that exists or is created to try and solve the sustainability problems of FRC but the sustainability problem will only ever be solved from the top down, not the bottom up. Doesn't mean we all shouldn't try to do something because every effort lends a voice to the chorus of people who realize this is a core problem. Until HQ sees this as an issue though and decides to make some charts and graphs and put some thought behind how to address it (and do so publicly - instead of in closed door meetings) and where the issue is coming from, it won't be solved.

Anyone want to build a giant sculpture or 3d print a sizable symbolic statue with all the team numbers on it that have disappeared over the years and plant it in front of HQ? Might get some attention then.

But hey, what do I know?
Clarke's Laws
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2018, 10:51 AM
FRC #6814 (Ellipse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrv View Post
It's not just a matter of whether or not the team wants help. It's also a matter of whether or not the RDs or FSMs will endorse an organization like Full Circle or The Compass Alliance.

Not every RD/FSM will.
Then that's a place where we double down on team connections! the FullCircle student mentors are spread all across the US and into Canada, and we plan to utilize them to reach out to the pre-rookie teams getting started in their area.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Compare this section of the "Command Based Programming 101" article here: http://fullcirclefrc.org/technical with WPILib's own documentation https://wpilib.screenstepslive.com/s...ed-programming

Full Circle

WPILib

I can't help but notice the direct plagiarism without attribution.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post

I can't help but notice the direct plagiarism without attribution.
Full disclosure: I haven't looked into either document, just read your comment.

Plagiarism is generally bad, though in this case I would say its info which should be disseminated freely and without restriction.

However:

What's problematic for teams in my book is if screensteps changes the instructions, then FullCircle has to know to go update as well, otherwise they'll be giving conflicting & incorrect info.

Better to just link to the page and give info on "this is the useful part" than clone-and-own the info.

Last edited by gerthworm : 09-10-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: