OCCRA
Go to Post Lunacy was "space-themed" to about the same extent that Froot Loops are "fruit-themed." - Oblarg [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 07:04 AM
FRC #3244 (Granite City Gearheads)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
cpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to behold
1/2" hex through shaft encoders

The thread Encoders got me thinking. We are currently building our first WCD type chassis with shifting gear boxes. There seems to be some discussion on the negative to putting the encoders on one of the intermediate stages of the gearbox with the mounting locations supplied. Has anyone considered mounting an encoder similar to a CIMcoder or AMT103-V kits on the axle? It would be a nightmare to work on but if your not using the inside of the tube for chain there is a <1" of unused shaft there to use a hollow shaft encoder. Or build it right into this thing.

Even Beyond WCD Chassis there would be uses to encode mid shaft vs all ways finding ways to mound at the end.

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 07:45 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1/2" hex through shaft encoders

This is the closest thing I've seen, thanks to team 5406. AFAIK there is no COTS encoder with a hex bore.
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 08:12 AM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

There's not really any appreciable advantage to putting the encoder on the output of the gearbox vs mounting it on one of the other wheel shafts, as many teams do. It's a lot easier to do (can just drill a .25" hole) and to maintain / access.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

We did our first WCD chassis last year, and ended up mounting some Grayhill encoders on one of the non-gearbox shafts. It was pretty straight forward to build a mount to hold the encoder approx in line with the shaft, and connect it to the shaft with some surgical tubing (accounts for any misalignment). We are always looking for better ways, though!
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 09:30 AM

cpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
This is the closest thing I've seen, thanks to team 5406. AFAIK there is no COTS encoder with a hex bore.
I really like this solution.

Its true there are solutions to put the encoder on one of the other driven axles with current hardware.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 09:45 AM
FRC #3512 (Spartatroniks)

Rookie Year: 2011
Nick.kremer is a jewel in the roughNick.kremer is a jewel in the roughNick.kremer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpapplefamily View Post
I really like this solution.

Its true there are solutions to put the encoder on one of the other driven axles with current hardware.
Vex makes the VersaPlanetary Universal Female Output Shaft Kit, which makes integrating a VP Encoder into a drive train that much easier, no custom hex adapter required!

Now, the only thing you need to make custom is a bracket to hold the VP encoder onto the end of the shaft.

Edit: I'm wrong and didn't read the thread title, please ignore me.

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by Nick.kremer : 09-13-2018 at 10:34 AM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.kremer View Post
Vex makes the VersaPlanetary Universal Female Output Shaft Kit, which makes integrating a VP Encoder into a drive train that much easier, no custom hex adapter required!

Now, the only thing you need to make custom is a bracket to hold the VP encoder onto the end of the shaft.
I'm looking for through shaft encoders. These adapters look like it would only get you end of shaft coupling. Still a interesting way to use products you may already have for a use not originally intended.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

I've fantasized about a through shaft hex bore encoder for a long time. We'd use the heck out of it.

Modifying the versaplanet is too expensive and heavy for my liking.

I'd also like it fully supported on its own small bearings so that it can be placed floating on a shaft, and literally tapes,glued or zip tied to something rigid.

Would be game changing for a lot of teams.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 10:33 AM

Nick.kremer is a jewel in the roughNick.kremer is a jewel in the roughNick.kremer is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: 1/2" hex through shaft encoders

Huh, I guess it would help to actually read the thread title. Whoops.

Like us on Facebook!

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 11:01 AM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
I've fantasized about a through shaft hex bore encoder for a long time. We'd use the heck out of it.

I'd also like it fully supported on its own small bearings so that it can be placed floating on a shaft, and literally tapes,glued or zip tied to something rigid.

Paging CTRE, Vex, and AM (or others). We'd probably jump in line for this too provided it is more closely related to the CTRE Mag encoder than to to the CIMCoder.
Clarke's Laws
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:

I can definitely see the appeal of a product like this. Something that's basically plug and play, no ulta precise positioning required would be a huge benefit. Heck, you could even match drill the mounting holes in place with a hand drill if you felt zip ties or tape wasn't robust enough.

There's definitely been a lot of progress on the front of making encoders more accessible what with gearboxes coming standard with encoder mounting options, and of course the VP encoder, but neither of those is appropriate for all applications in FRC.

Like us on Facebook!

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 11:44 AM
FRC #0997 (Spartans)

Rookie Year: 2010
feverittm has a spectacular aura aboutfeverittm has a spectacular aura aboutfeverittm has a spectacular aura about

With regard to the OP's original question about encoders on a WCD chassis, I would have to agree with previous comments that it is far easier to mount the encoder on the other wheel shafts. We have done this for the past few years and it works well. We mount a CTRE Mag encoder on a 3D printed mount that spaces the encoder properly and machine our wheel shafts to accept the magnet for the encoder (similar to how it is shown in the user guide).

Personally I have always felt that every robot needs a minimum of wheel encoders and a gyro to enable basic autonomous. While there are other ways to measure distance, encoders are simple and relatively cheap.
Corvallis High School, Corvallis Oregon
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Paging CTRE, Vex, and AM (or others). We'd probably jump in line for this too provided it is more closely related to the CTRE Mag encoder than to to the CIMCoder.
I just finished probing the web for multi poll ring magnets to maybe try and create a solution. I found Phoenix American Magnetic Encoder solutions. Turns out they make the CIMCoder already.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 01:23 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpapplefamily View Post
I just finished probing the web for multi poll ring magnets to maybe try and create a solution. I found Phoenix American Magnetic Encoder solutions. Turns out they make the CIMCoder already.
Bogen encoder has a few options that are very workable, but would require some redesign and custom integration for the magnet.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 01:50 PM
AKA: Owen Dray
FRC #2067 (Apple Pi)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2016
OwenD will become famous soon enoughOwenD will become famous soon enough

Quote:

+1 to this. We used the modification to the VP encoder that 5406 made which worked pretty well for us, but an actual product would be a godsend.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: