OCCRA
Go to Post "FIRST is like a pizza, we all think different toppings should be on it" - Andrew Schreiber [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 07:15 PM
FRC #6897 (Astraea Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
risho900 will become famous soon enough
Miter Blade for Aluminum

So my team recently purchased a miter saw and we are looking to cut aluminum with it. I found the blade below from home depot. Not sure if it is the correct one and do any of you know any other options? Thanks!

Blade: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-1...296L/203162568

Miter Saw: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...-206726927-_-N
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 08:23 PM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miter Blade for Aluminum

We've tried that Diablo blade, but we far prefer Tenryu Alumi-Cut blades (example) in our 12" Dewalt saw.

I don't see the need for the sliding feature... it provides another axis where rigidity is lost in the machine.

Edited to add: We go through 1-2 blades per season, and the failure mode is always a carbide busting off because the workpiece moved and snagged the blade during the cut, or after the cut but before the blade came to a complete stop.

Last edited by Nate Laverdure : 09-13-2018 at 08:33 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Laverdure View Post
We've tried that Diablo blade, but we far prefer Tenryu Alumi-Cut blades (example) in our 12" Dewalt saw.

I don't see the need for the sliding feature... it provides another axis where rigidity is lost in the machine.
We already bought the saw. Slide is good for speed cutting wood!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Laverdure View Post

If you don't mind, why those blades over Diablo?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by risho900 View Post
If you don't mind, why those blades over Diablo?
Despite the lesser tooth count, we consistently produce much cleaner, flatter, squarer cuts with these Tenryu blades than with the Diablo.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 09:29 PM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

We've used the comparable 7" diablo blades the past three years. Each blade lasts us about a year, same issue as Nate - losing the carbide tip off a tooth when it snags. We have a separate saw for wood, because we usually have the field element builders and the chassis builders working at the same time. Make sure to use the vise built into your saw, and perhaps a vise-grip clamp on the other side! Aluminum loves to jump; don't let it. You can damage not only the piece, but your saw and your watch and your buddies and your self.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 09:42 PM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

I use the Freud Diablo 80 tooth on a non-sliding Dewalt saw, and it works very well. The key is to not cut small things, and keep the feed slow and steady, and do not lift back up with the blade spinning. We don't really do any solid bar stock on it, but plenty of box tube. And after about a year of proper use, it still looks and feels new. Carbide is as sharp as day one. But if someone crashes it or flings a part, you will lose teeth and the blade will be trash.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Engineering Mentor FRC2992/FTC10337
FRC #2992 (SS Prometheus)

Rookie Year: 2013
msonnier is an unknown quantity at this point

We have had good luck with this 10" blade from Amazon: http://a.co/d/4Zxg7mh . It is quite a bit cheaper than the Diablo and others mentioned here. The same blade is available in 12" size as well.

We replace it 1 to 2 times per year, which is easy to do given its low price. Get clean cuts out of it consistently. Like everyone else says, use your vise/clamps on the work piece for safety!

We have just acquired a horizontal band saw, so I expect we will be mostly retiring this tool from common use, but have been very happy with these blades.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2018, 10:20 PM
Mostly Legal Volunteer
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2016
ctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
The key is to not cut small things, and keep the feed slow and steady, and do not lift back up with the blade spinning.
Definitely this. Once you complete the cut, release the trigger and hold the saw down until the blade stops completely, then lift it back up. This should be listed in the manual for the saw. Clamp your workpiece tightly on both sides.

"You know, it's amazing how many things you can take apart with just one ordinary screwdriver!" - Calvin, from Calvin and Hobbes
"There's nothing a little duct tape and surgical tubing can't accomplish." - Sheldon J. Plankton
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by risho900 View Post
So my team recently purchased a miter saw and we are looking to cut aluminum with it. I found the blade below from home depot. Not sure if it is the correct one and do any of you know any other options? Thanks!

Blade: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-1...296L/203162568

Miter Saw: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...-206726927-_-N

I know people cut metal with these all the time, but it makes me real nervous for one specific reason: the fence and blade are setup so that the blade will exert an upward force on the work piece, especially if the slide function is used. This force is not great for making clean cuts because it tends to lift the part off of the deck, and it is not great for safety because it tends to launch things if something goes wrong (thus the recommendation to clamp both sides of one's work piece).

A saw specifically designed to cut metals will locate the fence and work piece to always be exerting cutting forces into the deck or fence of the saw. I have said it before, and I'll say it again, the DeWalt DW872 is my all-time favorite metal-cutting saw and I would strongly recommend it to any FRC team. I have no issue with cutting thin material: I have cut 0.028in walled titanium tubing and 0.080in aluminum sheet metal; nor do I have issues with cutting large blocks: I have cut 4in aluminum bar and 3/8x6in steel plate.

I urge you to reconsider your saw purchase!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2018, 07:43 AM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctt956 View Post
Clamp your workpiece tightly on both sides.
I actually prefer to keep the right side free. I find it lessens the chance of putting the blade into a bind and catching the part.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2018, 08:37 AM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post
A saw specifically designed to cut metals will locate the fence and work piece to always be exerting cutting forces into the deck or fence of the saw. I have said it before, and I'll say it again, the DeWalt DW872 is my all-time favorite metal-cutting saw and I would strongly recommend it to any FRC team. I have no issue with cutting thin material: I have cut 0.028in walled titanium tubing and 0.080in aluminum sheet metal; nor do I have issues with cutting large blocks: I have cut 4in aluminum bar and 3/8x6in steel plate.

I urge you to reconsider your saw purchase!
We own one of these as well, what blade do you use with yours? I think mine just needs a replacement but I haven't looked into what works best with it yet.

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2018, 08:55 AM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
We own one of these as well, what blade do you use with yours? I think mine just needs a replacement but I haven't looked into what works best with it yet.
For FRC/Aluminum I have this blade.

For all the Ti/Steel/misc aluminum and plastic cutting I am still using the 70t general purpose DeWalt blade that came with the saw.

Edit: we've only ever bought the one extra aluminum blade, I have not tried other blades to see if one is better or worse.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.

Last edited by JamesCH95 : 09-14-2018 at 08:58 AM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2018, 09:16 AM
Software/Mechanical Mentor
FRC #3310 (Black Hawk Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2012
Brian Selle has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Selle has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Selle has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Selle has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Selle has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Selle has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Selle has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Selle has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Selle has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Selle has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Selle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post

I have said it before, and I'll say it again, the DeWalt DW872 is my all-time favorite metal-cutting saw and I would strongly recommend it to any FRC team.
We have this saw and it is certainly a major upgrade from a typical miter saw but have still had a few incidents of snagged parts that come flying out of the clamp. I recently purchased this saw for myself and I like the work holding system much better for just a few more $.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2018, 09:20 AM
AKA: Ricky Marcus
FRC #1745 (The P-51 Mustangs)

Rookie Year: 2006
RickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud of

What do people think of a benchtop horizontal band saw for this application? I'm looking at getting something like this https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...0083_200660083

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: