Go to Post To me, my mentors are the Father figures. They guide me through each and everything (even if its not robot related), and try to make it as fun as possible. - RoboMadi [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: What do you think of the role of defense in this years game?
I thought this game played out awesome. No major complaints! 82 65.08%
I thought things were good, but there were instances of aggresive play I wish the refs had called more. 40 31.75%
I want the role of defense to be greatly diminished in the future. This is FIRST, not battlebots. 3 2.38%
I don't freakin' care. 1 0.79%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 12:16 PM
BSEE, MSEE, JD
AKA: employed
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Stephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stephen Kowski
Re: Was play this year too aggresive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag
I didn't see a poll option for "not quite enough aggressiveness"
LOL i love it....

I like how aggressive and defensive get lumped together....just because you are aggressive doesn't mean you are defensive...and vice versa.
I can sit in your way and be defensive without hitting you...was wildstang from 2003 aggressive? I don't think so...but they were a very defensive minded robot.

what 716 (i think that is the #) did to beatty in archimedes was extremely aggressive, but they lacked the power to be effective enough....

I guess my whole point is....in this poll it kind lumps the two ideas together, but I disagree with that strongly....there is a difference between aggressive and defensive behavior....
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Year 19 with the NAC in FRC!
FRC #0093 (NEW Apple Corps)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2000
Sean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond repute

Think back to the year of Co-Opertition in 2001. Four teams all working together. Great in concept but not the most exciting thing to watch. I'd rather watch graciously aggresive interaction among robots than a purely offensive team of four robots.

I thought the interaction was vigorous and justifiable. I'm sure there were acts of agression that were unwarranted and went unpunished but that's just the nature of the beast. Pit four robots in head-to-head competition and you're going to have some serious hits.

I thought this year's game was one of the best I've seen since joining our team 5 years ago. I agree that Zone Zeal was also very exciting but didn't have the multitude of variables that FIRST Frenzy did.

Just my 2 deflated cents.

Sean

Thanks Plexus Corp. for the 21-year partnership and counting...your company gets it!!

www.nacteam93.com | Tesla Engineering Charter School
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 01:20 PM
AKA: Eric Bredehoeft
FRC #1018 (Robodevils)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
ebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud ofebmonon36 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to ebmonon36

I don't think this year's game was too aggresive. I think it was a nice balance of offence and defence especially in the finals of the competitions. The matches had a lot of offence for the first 3/4ths of the match and then when teams were going to hang and cap, thats when the defence kicked in and the team with the lesser advantage would do whatever they could to try and pull it off. I didn't see too many times when I felt the refs did a bad job of calling calls. There was one call in a blue moon that I wished they would have said something, but that happens in all sports and we just move on. There isn't a whole lot that can be done about a bad call. Comparing this game with last years game, last year's game definatly lacked as far as offence goes. It was 90% defense. The good mix of offense and defense is what made this game what it is.
Eric

Last edited by ebmonon36 : 04-21-2004 at 02:38 PM.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

What I rememeber mostly form this year's competition was this:

That being said, that was part of the competition and our troubles were due to a flaw in our design therefore we had no one to be upset with but ourselves. If you don't like physical play build a stronger robot.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 04:05 PM
yupp...
AKA: Grizz, Twinkletoes, PitBull1126
no team
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Alex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond repute

tell me what you think about this match.... after the match the driver of the team had came to us about the match and asked if he could help or his team could do anything.

http://www.soap.circuitrunners.com/2.../new_sf1m1.wmv

i had no problem after the match but during the match i had a problem... it's all ok to me now and all but i just want to no others opinions...
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 04:05 PM
How you doin'?!
AKA: Dave Kingsley
FRC #0088 (TJ˛)

Rookie Year: 2001
Pin Man has a spectacular aura aboutPin Man has a spectacular aura aboutPin Man has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pin Man

Koko Ed, I remember those matches... It must have been tough watching you guys tip... I believe we even tipped you once... I don't like seeing bots tip but thats just how it goes... :/

Attending Bridgewater State College

Shirt collection- 25, 47, 69, 140, 173, 191, 213, 303, 365, 461, 836, (2)862, 885, 888, 1027, (2)1073, 1156.
Shirts in the works-
Shirt Wish List- 45, 48, 61, 67, 84, 86, 95, 103, 111, 126, 175, 190, 233, 236, 716, 870, 871, 1114, and any other team basically

Last edited by Pin Man : 04-21-2004 at 04:11 PM.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 04:10 PM
AKA: Rob
FRC #0131 (CHAOS)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1996
Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rob

I am not sure how we can easily define "Too agressive", there have been quite a few threads about that following nationals, and none of them seem to have a clear answer. I will say this...FIRST is getting more and more agressive. Teams are learning that stout machines with powerful drivetrains have the ability to nullify elegant machines with complex devices and appendages. Is this a bad thing...maybe. We can learn to deal with it though.

Look at how the went. In the Archimeded elims, there were 2 clearcut favorites. These two alliances consisted of Stellar and intricate offensive machines (71 and 45) paired with fast a bruising defensive machines (494 and 716). The strategy employed by both alliances was to use the bruising partner to keep the scoring machine free from defense, allowing them to win the match on their own. This strategy allowed both alliances to make it to the division finals. I knew that whoever won that round would go on to win that championship because the strategy worked so well.

The point I am trying to make is that you need to consider a good mix of agression and scoring ability to make a winning alliance. The defensive teams in these alliances were not only able to punish their opponents, but they were also able to keep other defenders off of their scoring partners backs. So the key is to be good enough at what you do that you can work in a partnership like these.

Maybe there should be some changes or clarifications to the rules system. Maybe we should hand out more penalties or try to limit the amount of defense that can e played. I personally think that teams now have more to think about when conceptualizing and designing machines. The only way to stay competitive in real life is to adapt to adverse situatiuons, and the same holds true here.

Rob
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 04:12 PM
How you doin'?!
FRC #0088 (TJ˛)

Pin Man has a spectacular aura aboutPin Man has a spectacular aura aboutPin Man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull 1126
tell me what you think about this match.... after the match the driver of the team had came to us about the match and asked if he could help or his team could do anything.

http://www.soap.circuitrunners.com/2.../new_sf1m1.wmv

i had no problem after the match but during the match i had a problem... it's all ok to me now and all but i just want to no others opinions...
hmmm... I think I'd be more upset if I was team Kaptin Kruch 79... You prevented them from hanging... But on the other hand... How much damage did they cause???

Shirt collection- 25, 47, 69, 140, 173, 191, 213, 303, 365, 461, 836, (2)862, 885, 888, 1027, (2)1073, 1156.
Shirts in the works-
Shirt Wish List- 45, 48, 61, 67, 84, 86, 95, 103, 111, 126, 175, 190, 233, 236, 716, 870, 871, 1114, and any other team basically
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 04:16 PM
yupp...
AKA: Grizz, Twinkletoes, PitBull1126
no team
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Alex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Man
hmmm... I think I'd be more upset if I was team Kaptin Kruch 79... You prevented them from hanging... But on the other hand... How much damage did they cause???
bent a few things, sent us to the pits a few times... it was good that they took a timeout tho...

i was really looking for the real sm matches but cant find em b/c thats where i got angry agasint the other teams...
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Man
Koko Ed, I remember those matches... It must have been tough watching you guys tip... I believe we even tipped you once... I don't like seeing bots tip but thats just how it goes... :/
Yeah. It was tough but even our operators joked about it a bit afterwards.
What the heck was that funky spinning around the pole defense your robot was doing?
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 04:58 PM
How you doin'?!
FRC #0088 (TJ˛)

hahaha I didn't see any pole defense there... hahaha hmmm

Shirts in the works-
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:04 PM
Morpheus
#0011 (M.O.R.T.)
Team Role: Mentor

S.Nickens is a name known to allS.Nickens is a name known to allS.Nickens is a name known to allS.Nickens is a name known to allS.Nickens is a name known to allS.Nickens is a name known to all

I felt the aggression level in this years game was fairly low. Aggression implies intent to
hurt or intimidate. To eliminate any type of aggression you would have to put only one robot
on the playing field. I don't think you could generate the kind of excitement that FIRST
competition does by doing away with the possiblilty of a few people taking things a little
too far. The competitions that I witnessed showed that the majority of teams and thier drivers
understood the idea of GP.

2005 Palmetto AutoDesk Award
2005 Palmetto Judges Award
2005 Palmetto Semi-Finalists
2005 NJ Regional Chairmans Award
2005 NJ Regional Finalists
2004 Curie Div. 5th Seed
2004 Palmetto Regional Winners
2004 Palmetto DC Team Spirit Award
2004 Chesapeke Semi-Finalists
2004 Trenton Semi-Finalists
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:09 PM
How you doin'?!
FRC #0088 (TJ˛)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Nickens
I felt the aggression level in this years game was fairly low. Aggression implies intent to
hurt or intimidate. To eliminate any type of aggression you would have to put only one robot
on the playing field. I don't think you could generate the kind of excitement that FIRST
competition does by doing away with the possiblilty of a few people taking things a little
too far. The competitions that I witnessed showed that the majority of teams and thier drivers
understood the idea of GP.
I fully agree... You mentioned though about people taking little things too far... Well that was one of my problems with last years competition... Too many robots flipped because of the ramp and everyone would say that they did it on purpose... I don't know if anyone can make sense of this... Its hard to explain but thats just my 2 cents... Actually only worth 1 cent...

Shirts in the works-
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2004, 10:03 PM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

One thing is I don't know why everyone always puts down fast powerful drivetrains. They can be the most brilliant feature of a robot. Sure, they don't flip out to twice the size and articulate all over the place but they do make the machine get somewhere. Would it be as much fun to watch if the competition was a bunch of sitting boxes?
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2004, 12:31 PM
AKA: Aaron Bradshaw
#0900 (Team Infinity)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
aaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to aaronbr28040

This year it looked a whole lot more physical than it actually was. Our team flipped a good many robots, but most of those that we flipped were ones that had large unprotected tires that ran right up our box. We even flipped a few in autonomous mode at Palmetto when we were completly stopped. I think that the physical aspect of it makes it better for those watching from the stands. Although this is my first (and last year as a student, i will be a mentor next year) I have seen matches from last year, our transmissions, plus the battle scars on last year's bot. In my opinion FIRST tryied to calm the game down a little this year and they did an awesome job. They kept it aggressive enough that it is interesting to those in the arena, but calm enough that you didnt have to build everything with armor plating.
-Aaron
AIM:aaronbr28040

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: