OCCRA
Go to Post It's rather simple: you start with a block of solid and remove material until you just have the robot left. Kind of like making a sandcastle. Only harder. - petek [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Pneumatics
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2018, 06:26 AM
FRC #6897 (Astraea Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
risho900 has a spectacular aura aboutrisho900 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Pneumatic System Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrishna3082 View Post
Try restarting the FRC Driver Station program, this happens to us after we wake up the laptop from sleep and this fixes it.
Makes sense, I think I accidentally put the laptop to sleep.
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McLeod View Post
Indeterminate.
The robot should not Disable with the wires removed from the PCM.
The PCM test needs the robot to remain Enabled after the pressure switch wires are disconnected.

There is something else going on that's causing the auto Disable.
Alright so I tested it with no pressure switch wires in and it failed to turn off the compressor. I assume this means the PCM is broken?
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2018, 07:42 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by risho900 View Post
Alright so I tested it with no pressure switch wires in and it failed to turn off the compressor. I assume this means the PCM is broken?
With the pressure switch not connected, the compressor should never start. Most likely it means that there is a short in your PCM across the two pressure switch inputs. I would open the case and see if there are bits of swarf (metal shavings) or stray wire strands in place; removing them may solve the problem.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-23-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
With the pressure switch not connected, the compressor should never start. Most likely it means that there is a short in your PCM across the two pressure switch inputs. I would open the case and see if there are bits of swarf (metal shavings) or stray wire strands in place; removing them may solve the problem.
Opened it, saw no issue. Everything looked fine.
  #65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-23-2018, 03:53 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by risho900 View Post
Opened it, saw no issue. Everything looked fine.
In that case, I recommend a replacement PCM. The pressure switch is normally closed - this is the meaning of the B in the part number according to the data sheet. If the pressure switch ports are empty, the compressor is properly wired through the PCM, and the compressor comes on, the PCM is malfunctioning.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-23-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
In that case, I recommend a replacement PCM. The pressure switch is normally closed - this is the meaning of the B in the part number according to the data sheet. If the pressure switch ports are empty, the compressor is properly wired through the PCM, and the compressor comes on, the PCM is malfunctioning.
Yeah I talked to CTR. Sending it in for repairs/replacement. Thanks for the help all!
  #67   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2018, 11:08 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Risho,
Another possibility if you haven't sent the PCM back, the push terminals sometimes end up with a single strand of wire that falls between the two contacts. Take a bright light or flashlight and look down into the terminals for the pressure switch on the PCM module. If you see wire, you know where the problem is, but it is still going to be a challenge to get it out. Tweezers with fine points will be able to grab the wire strand.
Whnever you suspect a pressure switch is bad when the compressor will not turn on, simply short across the switch. A short across the switch will run the compressor as long as the robot is enabled.
www.wildstang.org
  #68   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
Risho,
Another possibility if you haven't sent the PCM back, the push terminals sometimes end up with a single strand of wire that falls between the two contacts. Take a bright light or flashlight and look down into the terminals for the pressure switch on the PCM module. If you see wire, you know where the problem is, but it is still going to be a challenge to get it out. Tweezers with fine points will be able to grab the wire strand.
Whnever you suspect a pressure switch is bad when the compressor will not turn on, simply short across the switch. A short across the switch will run the compressor as long as the robot is enabled.
I checked the connectors, didn't see any strands. And also, I think you misunderstood the issue as the problem was that the compressor would always be running regardless of pressure or even if the pressure switch was connected.
  #69   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2018, 02:19 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Risho,
If you have a short across the switch input on the PCM, that will be sensed as the pressure has not reached 120 PSI and the compressor will run continuously. A single strand of wire in the pressure switch input to the PCM will make the compressor run continuously whenever the robot is enabled. If the robot is disabled but the compressor still runs, then the PCM or the way the compressor is wired is at fault.
www.wildstang.org
  #70   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Risho,
If you have a short across the switch input on the PCM, that will be sensed as the pressure has not reached 120 PSI and the compressor will run continuously. A single strand of wire in the pressure switch input to the PCM will make the compressor run continuously whenever the robot is enabled. If the robot is disabled but the compressor still runs, then the PCM or the way the compressor is wired is at fault.
Oh my b, I think I misunderstood how the pressure switch works. Thanks a lot.
  #71   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 02:45 PM

Ok so I got a new PCM. It worked fine for a few days but then the same problem came up. Could it be I'm doing something wrong with the wiring?
  #72   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2018, 11:17 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

If it worked fine for a few days, then the PCM was good when you received it. Your wiring also was correct or you would have had similar problems. I now suspect a shorted compressor. It may mean you have killed another PCM? How old is your compressor? Please include a picture of the PCM as wired on your robot and a picture of the compressor.
www.wildstang.org
  #73   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
If it worked fine for a few days, then the PCM was good when you received it. Your wiring also was correct or you would have had similar problems. I now suspect a shorted compressor. It may mean you have killed another PCM? How old is your compressor? Please include a picture of the PCM as wired on your robot and a picture of the compressor.
I'll send it sometime next week when I have access to the robot. The compressor is the one that came in KOP this year but we only started using it over summer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: