OCCRA
Go to Post I think sportsmanship is only one facet of the gp diamond. - Redhead Jokes [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 05:17 AM
Project Manager, Mentor
FRC #1391

Rookie Year: 2001
Steve Compton is a splendid one to beholdSteve Compton is a splendid one to beholdSteve Compton is a splendid one to beholdSteve Compton is a splendid one to beholdSteve Compton is a splendid one to beholdSteve Compton is a splendid one to behold
Extension lift mechanics

As realtives newcomers to the world of robot building, we need some advice about extnesion lift cabling. We are interested in a continuous-cabling extension lift, but are having difficulty getting our heads around the details of the cabling - attachment points and all that. WE have a Power point from JVN that helps, but nothing that gives us the ability to sort it out in hardware and strict mechanical terms. Any help out there with pictures or documents that are explicit?

Thanks!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 06:08 AM
Tie Wrap-Not Cable Tie or Zip tie
AKA: Stephen Denman
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Denman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Denman Send a message via AIM to Denman Send a message via MSN to Denman Send a message via Yahoo to Denman
Re: Extension lift mechanics

when you say extension arm, do you mean sevral arms which slide up each other to get to the top, like our robot last year( but didn't actually make it due to weight limits )

FIRSTWiki.org - Contribute, learn, inspire.

"Teach the way of the GP and the way of the GP shall teach you" - Me
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 08:00 AM
lurker
#0448 (Crandroids)

Josh Siegel will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Josh Siegel Send a message via MSN to Josh Siegel

From what I understand, you have:

Continuous design-
Pro: Moves evenly but slowly, as more cable must be moved in order to fully extend. Has been recommended over cascading by two engineers. Identical speed up and down, so one drum (of a larger diameter) may be used.
Con: More cable must be moved in the same amount of time, requiring a faster motor to keep the extension speed the same.

Cascade design
Pro: Moves evenly, less likely to jam, less cable needs to be moved in order to fully extend.
Con: Lots of tension in the cable, extension and retraction cables both have different speeds requiring two different drums of differing diameters. Require lots of crimps that can potentially go wrong.

The black dots are where the cable is fixed, and the green circles are pulleys. The large green circle is a drum powered by the motor(s).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ArmFixationPoints.jpg
Views:	6498
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	2834  

Last edited by Josh Siegel : 01-24-2005 at 08:05 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Programmer and Mentor
AKA: Mike Aalderink
FRC #3458 (Code Blue)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 1999
Mike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Mike AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Siegel
From what I understand, you have:

Continuous design-
Pro: Moves evenly but slowly, as more cable must be moved in order to fully extend. Has been recommended over cascading by two engineers. Identical speed up and down, so one drum (of a larger diameter) may be used.
Con: More cable must be moved in the same amount of time, requiring a faster motor to keep the extension speed the same.

Cascade design
Pro: Moves evenly, less likely to jam, less cable needs to be moved in order to fully extend.
Con: Lots of tension in the cable, extension and retraction cables both have different speeds requiring two different drums of differing diameters. Require lots of crimps that can potentially go wrong.

The black dots are where the cable is fixed, and the green circles are pulleys. The large green circle is a drum powered by the motor(s).

That is a good example and probably the least complex, I would just more suggest not using a cable in the location of your yellow cable as gravity would pull it back down.

-Mike
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Tie Wrap-Not Cable Tie or Zip tie
AKA: Stephen Denman
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)
Team Role: Mentor

Denman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Denman Send a message via AIM to Denman Send a message via MSN to Denman Send a message via Yahoo to Denman

the continuos one is what we used last year (well, after the compo... weight limit etc)... You want to be careful. You want to make sure the wire is strong and preferably plastic or something. We used a metal wire thing and its really not nice at all. It curls back up and is really unpleasent to try and fix, even with gloves etc.
You dont need a yellow cable at all. the continous system will pull the top bit with the lifter to the top as it is. We used some extrusion (iirc thats what its called) with plastic runners, runs fine except the pullies are a bit cheap and nasty sometimes.

FIRSTWiki.org - Contribute, learn, inspire.

"Teach the way of the GP and the way of the GP shall teach you" - Me
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 11:51 PM
The Humanoid Typhoon
#1318 (Issaquah Robotics Socitey)

Rookie Year: 2004
Vash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike AA
That is a good example and probably the least complex, I would just more suggest not using a cable in the location of your yellow cable as gravity would pull it back down.

-Mike
I would not be inclined to trust gravity becuase dirt will build up in you mecanism as it is used and all of the sudden it might just cease to work.

http://www.issaquahrobotics.org
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Programmer and Mentor
AKA: Mike Aalderink
FRC #3458 (Code Blue)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 1999
Mike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Mike AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
I would not be inclined to trust gravity becuase dirt will build up in you mecanism as it is used and all of the sudden it might just cease to work.
DIRT??!!?? Ok, true, that could happen but I have personally not needed to worry about it in the last 3 versions of this lift I've made.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2005, 12:30 PM
The Humanoid Typhoon
#1318 (Issaquah Robotics Socitey)

Rookie Year: 2004
Vash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike AA
DIRT??!!?? Ok, true, that could happen but I have personally not needed to worry about it in the last 3 versions of this lift I've made.
Okay I guess I overdid it. From past experience members of our team insist on never trusting gravity.

http://www.issaquahrobotics.org
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2005, 02:47 PM
ChrisH's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generally Useless
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
ChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
Okay I guess I overdid it. From past experience members of our team insist on never trusting gravity.
Gravity is generally pretty reliable, but in this application you need to ensure that it is able to do it's thing. The key thing is to make sure that the sliding sections cannot tilt sideways enough to lock up. Gravity can only pull so hard, if it takes too much force to clear the jam then you will be stuck in the up position. If you want the belt and suspenders approach then you ensure that you pull down as well.

Our lifts have always been powered both ways. Keeping the lift from jamming up was one reason. But another is that gravity is not always pointing the same direction relative to the robot.

If, for example, your robot should fall over sidways with its lift extended then gravity is now pulling 90 degrees from the direction you originally intended. Your robot is now blocking a large part of the field, a situation which may not be desireable. If you power the lift down, then you can probably retract it and clear the field. It would also be easier for another robot to help you back up on your wheels. But if you are relying on gravity to lower the lift, then it is already as low as it will go.

"Who is John Galt?"
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: