Go to Post They're so cute I could just pinch their little CIM motors!:D :p - Akash Rastogi [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Career
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2018, 08:50 AM
Classic
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
Fields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to behold
To the PEs out there

To anyone with a PE license out there. Have you applied your hours from FRC to the PDH requirements before?

This is my first year having to renew my license (in MN) and it looks like I can apply 10 hrs. I almost have all I need so this would put me over the top.

I know every state is different and a lot of states won't say explicitly what does/doesn't count. It does seem that FRC meets the requirements in some states though.

I think it would be helpful to others (and me) if people can say what state they submitted to and how many credits.

♪ 99 little bugs in the code
99 little bugs ♫
Take one down, patch it around
108 little bugs in the code ♫ ♪ ♫
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2018, 09:35 AM
Mentor
FRC #5938 (Razor Steel Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2016
Greg Hainsworth is on a distinguished road
Re: To the PEs out there

DE license. DAPE gives credit for speaking and presenting at conferences. I do so many other activities through work that I've never needed to find hours to meet DAPE requirements but it would be interesting to see what they say.

Also following this to see what other states say.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2018, 12:13 PM
Robot Mentor
FRC #2974 (WALT)

Rookie Year: 2009
FrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond repute

It is really up to your state board as to what they accept. Personally I don't see mentoring hours as counting to what is really continuing education. This is really a question for your state board and not random internet responses. Granted the internet responses will be more interesting.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2018, 12:21 PM
3574 - The King's of Bling
AKA: Jim
FRC #3574 (High Tekerz)

Rookie Year: 2012
InFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond repute

Washington State doesn't require any continuing education for P.E.s. I just received my two year renewal earlier this month.

I came across this website that lists the requirements by state.

Last edited by InFlight : 03-29-2018 at 12:26 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2018, 01:22 PM
Classic
no team

Rookie Year: 2015
Fields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ View Post
It is really up to your state board as to what they accept. Personally I don't see mentoring hours as counting to what is really continuing education. This is really a question for your state board and not random internet responses. Granted the internet responses will be more interesting.
In MN it's not continuing education. It's professional development hours. Education does count towards it, but so does engineering experience outside of work such as volunteer project that utilizes engineering or teaching.

♪ 99 little bugs in the code
99 little bugs ♫
Take one down, patch it around
108 little bugs in the code ♫ ♪ ♫
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-30-2018, 11:59 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at Medrobotics
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #0088 (TJ2)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the official answer but I would think that some FIRST Mentoring activities would be fine and others... ...maybe not in the spirit of the rule.

So for example.
  • A judge at a FIRST event?
  • Putting on a seminar at a kickoff event?
  • A demo of the Da Vinci robot at your local hospital?

I'd put them all in the first group.

On the other hand:
  • A 12 hour bus ride with a few dozen teens to Detroit Half Worlds?
  • Tracking down signed permission slips for same trip?

You are a saint and perhaps get tons of karma for it but I am not so sure that is what the PE board had in mind.

Just my 2 cents.

Dr. Joe J.
Team #88, TJ2

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: