Go to Post FIRST is like pizza. You and I may like different toppings, but in the end it's still delicious pizza. - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2017, 10:16 AM
FRC #6493 (Red Steel)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2015
meurich10 is a name known to allmeurich10 is a name known to allmeurich10 is a name known to allmeurich10 is a name known to allmeurich10 is a name known to allmeurich10 is a name known to all
Batter Charger Question

I read many of the batter charger posts and I didn't see this question. Maybe someone knows. I was wondering if the standard KOP chargers are acceptable to use as a trickle charger?

It is the cheap FY1205000. I have two of them but I can't find any info on them. I would do this to keep the good chargers free during a competition and I'd just use these to keep the charge.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2017, 10:49 AM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Batter Charger Question

If you can't find something on the label or documentation that indicates that the charger switches to a "float" mode, best to assume it doesn't.

During the time span of a competition, the use of float charging is not terribly important; unless you have close to a dozen batteries, you will likely cycle each battery each day. Float chargers are essential for the off-season, particularly if you take any breaks of longer than a week or so (and most teams do). Apart from abuse or very frequent use, storing a battery in a discharged state is the easiest way to shorten battery life.

Harbor Freight has rather inexpensive float chargers ($9) if you have a tight budget.

Edit:

After skimming the manual, this definitely does not look like the right tool to maintain batteries in off season. Thanks for the heads up, Ether!

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 02-28-2017 at 11:23 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2017, 11:01 AM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meurich10 View Post
I was wondering if the standard KOP chargers are acceptable to use as a trickle charger?
Are you sure you meant trickle charger? Or were you actually interested in a float charger?

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2017, 02:26 PM
FRC #6493 (Red Steel)

meurich10 is a name known to allmeurich10 is a name known to allmeurich10 is a name known to allmeurich10 is a name known to allmeurich10 is a name known to allmeurich10 is a name known to all

Good question I thought about using them to keep batteries charged so that is a float charger. There is no documentation on the KOP chargers so I have no idea what they do (other than 5000 mA max).

Thanks!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2017, 02:30 PM
FRC #6493 (Red Steel)

I guess the question is can I use it to keep the batteries charged between competitions and possibly during? The risk of a cheap charger is that it doesn't go into float mode and damages the battery.

It seems like the can sense that the batter is charged. I guess I could try to monitor the current output and see if the go into some sort of low current output.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2017, 02:36 PM
Mostly Legal Volunteer
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2016
ctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud of

From a quick Google search of the model number, it appears that the power adapter is sold with various connectors for different applications. Judging by that, I wouldn't imagine that it float charges.

"You know, it's amazing how many things you can take apart with just one ordinary screwdriver!" - Calvin, from Calvin and Hobbes
"There's nothing a little duct tape and surgical tubing can't accomplish." - Sheldon J. Plankton
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2017, 10:41 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you want your charger to perform different functions. KOP chargers are fine to keep batteries charged during competition and they do "float charge". However, I do not recommend that robot batteries be left connected to chargers for long periods of un-supervised time. The self discharge specifications of these batteries is in years so leaving them for several months will not harm them. Just follow common practice, no temperature extremes, no wet environments and you should be fine.
www.wildstang.org
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2017, 09:23 AM
FRC #6493 (Red Steel)

I think I'm set. We measured the output voltage of the charger when the battery is fully charged (green light on charger) and it is within the float charging specs on the side of the battery. This should mean the charger won't damage batteries if they are left on too long. Which was really the question I should have asked.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2017, 10:48 AM
no team

Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meurich10 View Post
We measured the output voltage of the charger when the battery is fully charged (green light on charger)
How did you make this measurement? What make and model voltmeter did you use and on what setting? Did you measure with the charger connected, or not connected, to the battery?

I ask because these kind of measurements can be tricky/deceiving.

Quote:
and it is within the float charging specs on the side of the battery
What model battery? What exactly did the specs on the side of the battery say?

Quote:
This should mean the charger won't damage batteries if they are left on too long. Which was really the question I should have asked.
No necessarily. The best way to tell for sure is to leave the battery on the charger and monitor what the voltage does over a period of a week or so.

Last edited by Ether : 03-07-2017 at 10:51 AM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 11:45 AM
FRC #2609 (Beaver worX)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
KevinReid is a splendid one to beholdKevinReid is a splendid one to beholdKevinReid is a splendid one to beholdKevinReid is a splendid one to beholdKevinReid is a splendid one to beholdKevinReid is a splendid one to beholdKevinReid is a splendid one to behold

Reply to old post - sorry but I am trying to find a supplier for this charger that you have mentioned - FY1205000.

Does anyone have a US or Canadian supplier for the version that was in the rookie KoP last couple of years? (probably not with the Anderson connector)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 12:15 PM
Just Itinerant
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinReid View Post
Reply to old post - sorry but I am trying to find a supplier for this charger that you have mentioned - FY1205000.

Does anyone have a US or Canadian supplier for the version that was in the rookie KoP last couple of years? (probably not with the Anderson connector)
It's available on FIRST Choice for 20 credits-max 1 per team.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2018, 02:17 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Guys,
Robot batteries are in the same general chemistry type as automotive batteries. Any current you attempt to force into a fully charged battery is converted to heat. The smart chargers with "float" functions may switch into charge mode periodically and rest at other times. If there has been no discharge path, a battery sitting on the charger may have significant surface charge which is what you are reading with the battery charger connected and ibndicating fully charged.
www.wildstang.org
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2018, 03:06 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
Guys...
Hi Al. It's not clear whose post(s) you are responding to.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2018, 09:36 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

In general I was responding to measuring terminal voltage with the battery connected to the charger and only looking at voltage. If you do not monitor current at the same time, you may not be seeing "float" mode on the battery charger. You may only be reading the terminal voltage of the battery when the charger is sensing the battery voltage.
www.wildstang.org

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: