OCCRA
Go to Post I think being successful in FIRST is creating an environment where people can grow, learn, change, and recreate... It's about making an environment where kids feel they can be successful... in whatever discipline they choose. - ColleenShaver [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 04:45 PM
FRC #4918 (The Roboctopi)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2013
AustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to behold
pic: Inverted 2-CIM Ball Shifter - 1st Attempt

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 04:48 PM
\_(ツ)_/
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #3929 (Atomic Dragons); fmr. FRC #228 (GUS) & FRC #2791 (Shaker)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Inverted 2-CIM Ball Shifter - 1st Attempt

It's tough to get the ball shifter shaft to work in this application. I've tried to package something similar to this (using the shifter shaft "backwards" and with the shifting gears as the pinions for the next reduction), and I'm never fully satisfied with the end ratios and the size of the whole thing. Could you potentially reduce size by shrinking the second reduction gear and adding idlers to keep the CIMs spaced out?

Otherwise it seems like a solid concept.
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Regional Finalists (with 20, 3182), 2012 BAE Finalists (with 1519, 885)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 04:50 PM

AustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to behold

Rear view of the assembly: https://imgur.com/a/vTmCw

Has anyone used the WCP pocketed gears for a full season? Looks like I could easily shave half a pound or more with those.
4918: 2014 PNW Glacier Peak District Event Rookie Inspiration Award & Quarter-Finalists, 2014 PNW Mount Vernon District Event Highest Rookie Seed Award, Rookie All Star & Semi-Finalists, 2015 PNW West Valley District Event Engineering Excellence Award & Semi-Finalists, 2015 PNW Mount Vernon District Event Semi-Finalists, 2017 PNW Mount Vernon Innovation in Control Award, 2017 PNW Auburn District Event Winners with 2046 and 5947

Visit us on the web at www.team4918.org
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 04:52 PM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

Is that...4 parallel plates?

Without looking too close on mobile, it looks pretty good. How much does that thing weigh though? It looks pretty beefy.
2012-2016: Member FRC 423 Captian, Programmer (LabVIEW), Electrical, CAD, Manipulator, Chassis, Business, Outreach (everything)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 04:58 PM

9.7 lbs with motors and hardware, assuming I remembered to apply correct material properties to everything.

We used the 2-CIM flipped DS gearbox from WCP this year. It had 4 parallel plates as well and we never experienced any binding or misalignment issues.

I am slightly concerned about overconstraining the main drive shaft, but that's only passing through three Thunderhex bearings which I heard were more forgiving than hex bearings.
4918: 2014 PNW Glacier Peak District Event Rookie Inspiration Award & Quarter-Finalists, 2014 PNW Mount Vernon District Event Highest Rookie Seed Award, Rookie All Star & Semi-Finalists, 2015 PNW West Valley District Event Engineering Excellence Award & Semi-Finalists, 2015 PNW Mount Vernon District Event Semi-Finalists, 2017 PNW Mount Vernon Innovation in Control Award, 2017 PNW Auburn District Event Winners with 2046 and 5947

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 05:00 PM
anonymous internet person
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute

It sure would be nice if you could get rid of those idler gears and that extra plate! This adapter from Vexpro might help, it will let you put slightly larger gears on the motor shafts without having to machine your own pinion gears. You would probably have to adjust the gears used on the output (wheel) shaft to get the speeds you want using this approach, but it saves having to make several parts.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 05:10 PM

Heh, I actually have some of those adapters squirreled away for that very reason. Alas, the issue with the flipped COTS ball shifter setup is that I couldn't get enough 2nd stage reduction before the driven gears got uncomfortably close to the carpet on 4" colsons.

Quick thought - how risky would it be to cantilever the idler gears if I was able to find a way to fit a retaining ring on the inside of the 3rd rail? That would entirely eliminate the need for the final plate.

Last edited by AustinH : 11-07-2017 at 05:52 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 06:09 PM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #5803 (Apex Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinH View Post
Has anyone used the WCP pocketed gears for a full season? Looks like I could easily shave half a pound or more with those.
Yes, we ran the pocketed 60T and 64T gears this season. They were fantastic, and are still running great after 105 matches and several more hours of driver practice and demos.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 06:16 PM

Fantastic. Switching the 84t alone saves a third of a pound per side.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 07:35 PM
FRC #0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
bcampbell will become famous soon enoughbcampbell will become famous soon enough

We ran a 3-cim inverted dog shifting gearbox. We used the 8mm to 1/2 hex adapter to get the spacing on the first stage that allowed us to fit the dog gears in between the cims. All of the cim shafts and the first reduction were cantilevered off of the first plate and retained with shaft collars or retaining clips. We were able to make the entire gearbox with only two plates reducing complexity and weight. This made for a very compact design. We didn't have any gearbox issues the entire season.

This thread doesn't allow you to do attachments so I uploaded a pic of the gearbox to the gallery, it should show up soon

Here is a link to the gearbox

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/45527?

Last edited by bcampbell : 11-08-2017 at 12:21 AM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 08:10 PM

Added pocketed gears, reduced the rear plate thickness to 1/8", standardized to 10-32 screws. Brought the weight down to 8.9 lbs. I really want to find a way to double up on one of the middle plates but I also really want to avoid running chain-in-tube. The pneumatic cylinder might also hit the 4" wheel.

CAD for the curious: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cf...29jZkBNXoqc_jj

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2017, 12:47 AM
FRC #0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
bcampbell will become famous soon enoughbcampbell will become famous soon enough

I posted a couple more pictures of how we were able to reduce the number of plates needed to 2 which will help with alignment issues. Also it reduces CNC machining time as well as helps with packaging the gearboxes into the chassis

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...hreadid=160021
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2017, 12:46 PM
Nuts N' Bolts
AKA: Skye Leake
FRC #0876 (Thunder Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Skyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant future

Holy snack cakes Batman, that's a lot of custom plates. How may shafts are constrained over 3 points? I see the output, is that it? (shiftier shaft doesn't really count)

2011 Lake Superior Regional Champs (Thanks 2512 & 3747)
2015 Central Illinois Regional Engineering Inspiration Award Recipients
2016 Central Illinois Regional Champs (Thanks 2481 & 2220)
2017 Northern Lights Regional Chairmans Award Recipients
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2017, 02:34 PM
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2012
JackFisher has much to be proud ofJackFisher has much to be proud ofJackFisher has much to be proud ofJackFisher has much to be proud ofJackFisher has much to be proud ofJackFisher has much to be proud ofJackFisher has much to be proud ofJackFisher has much to be proud ofJackFisher has much to be proud ofJackFisher has much to be proud of

Go look at 1477's 2013 robot if you can find pictures. Repackaging a ball-shifter shouldn't use more than 3 plates, the trick is to recreate vexpro's ball-shifter gearbox layout as in 2 84t spacings but reorient the shifter shaft in order to flip the cims outward. That way you can also use the vexpro published speed- ratio tables and be able to easily change your high and low speeds throughout season.

In terms of custom parts in the gearbox, you should be at 3 plates, however many standoffs you like, and 2 shafts.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2017, 01:23 PM

Speaking of space reduction, is it insane to want to use a CIM adapter and a 3:1 Versaplanetary stage? Can those be used in drivetrain applications if it's well within the load rating guide? That buys me a significant first stage reduction, a 1/2 hex shaft, and a diameter reduction for cleaner packaging near the ball shifting cluster.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: