OCCRA
Go to Post the usual Canadian thing - Karthik [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 05:42 PM
FRC #7126

Byron McKinley is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Can We Reuse the Drivetrain?

I think the answer to this question is "no," but I just want to make sure.

Can my team reuse the drivetrain we got from our Rookie kit last year on this year's robot, or do we have to build or buy a new one? If we have to buy a new one, where from?

Thank you.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 05:45 PM
AKA: Clint Brawley
FRC #0364 (Fusion)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
Fusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond reputeFusion_Clint has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can We Reuse the Drivetrain?

You will get another one in the Kit of Parts at your kick off event.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 05:47 PM
Taking a few years (mostly) off
AKA: Josepher
no team (Formerly 1687, 5400)

Rookie Year: 2007
Joe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joe G.

You cannot reuse the fully assembled drivetrain as-is legally. However, tearing it down and reusing individual components of it which have not been modified from their off the shelf form, such as wheels and motors, is legal. Parts which have been modified, such as cut frame rails, cannot be reused directly.

You will receive a new kit chassis on kickoff this year unless you opted for the Andymark Voucher instead, which could be used to purchase drivetrain components if you wish. If you don't know what this is, you'll be getting a new kit chassis on kickoff.

You will not be receiving a new RoboRio and certain other core control system components on kickoff, and will need to remove them from last year's robot or buy a new one.

A new kit chassis can be purchased from here. You can also use alternative options, or try to design and build one yourself.

2007-2010: Student, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2012-2014: Technical Mentor, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2015-2016: Lead Mentor, FRC 5400, Team WARP
2017: Technical Mentor, FRC 1100, The T-Hawks
2018-2019: Other projects/finally finishing school/maybe some mentor-for-hire work around NE

Last edited by Joe G. : 12-05-2018 at 05:54 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Engineering Mentor
AKA: Patrick Woolfenden
FRC #2910 (Jack in the Bot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2009
PatrickW has a reputation beyond reputePatrickW has a reputation beyond reputePatrickW has a reputation beyond reputePatrickW has a reputation beyond reputePatrickW has a reputation beyond reputePatrickW has a reputation beyond reputePatrickW has a reputation beyond reputePatrickW has a reputation beyond reputePatrickW has a reputation beyond reputePatrickW has a reputation beyond reputePatrickW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron McKinley View Post
I think the answer to this question is "no," but I just want to make sure.

Can my team reuse the drivetrain we got from our Rookie kit last year on this year's robot, or do we have to build or buy a new one? If we have to buy a new one, where from?

Thank you.
If the rules are the same as the past years you can reuse it if you haven't modified it and you reassembly it after kickoff. You are probably getting a new kit bot drive base in your kit of parts this year unless your team opted out of it. If you need to buy another one they can be purchased from AndyMark.

COTS Swerve Modules: SwerveDriveSpecialties.com
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 05:51 PM
FRC #5375

Dcai169 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah no. Rule R14 in the Power Up manual forbids this.
Quote:
Physical ROBOT elements created before Kickoff are not permitted.
There are some exceptions, such as you can make your operator console, bumpers, batteries, and some fabricated items. The fabricated items exception is so you can crimp connectors onto your motors and motor controllers.
I don't remember these rules changing very much between seasons.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 06:16 PM
∑V=0
AKA: Zach Brown
FRC #6502 (DARC SIDE)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2018
21brownz is a name known to all21brownz is a name known to all21brownz is a name known to all21brownz is a name known to all21brownz is a name known to all21brownz is a name known to all

I didn't know you could make bumpers before the season, that's good to know. Also, responding to OP, if you were really insistent, you could technically disassemble it all the way and reassemble it, but that's probably pointless as you are getting a new one in the KOP. I would also recommend if you are reusing certain parts, I would stay away from reusing bearings and possibly motors, depending on the purpose of the motor and your budget.

Also, I would highly recommend the Vex Versachassis system. Especially as a first non-KOP chassis, they are great. They require no real precision and you could probably put one together with a hole-saw and some careful hack-sawing. Honestly, don't make the same mistake we did and try to custom-machine a chassis as a second-year team. I'd also like to point out that there is NOTHING wrong with the KOP drivetrain. It's a very good chassis and no team should feel bad using it.

Diehard Onshape user

Last edited by 21brownz : 12-05-2018 at 06:21 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 06:48 PM
Robot Mentor
AKA: The Bearded ONe
FRC #2974 (WALT)

Rookie Year: 2009
FrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=21brownz;1812521]I didn't know you could make bumpers before the season, that's good to know. Also, responding to OP, if you were really insistent, you could technically disassemble it all the way and reassemble it, but that's probably pointless as you are getting a new one in the KOP. I/QUOTE]

Not much point in making bumpers until you know the frame perimeter. You can't reuse cut pieces of chassis.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 10:05 PM
Another day, gotta give 'em hell
AKA: It's burning straight through the dark...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickW View Post
If the rules are the same as the past years (snip)
Saying it again for the people in the back. We don't know the 2019 rules at this time. It would be wise to read them when they are released.

Now, FIRST has gone on record that teams are intended to reuse or source extra of control system parts (officially, the roboRIO and CTRE parts but historically we haven't gotten enough motor controllers in the kit to power a drivetrain either). Personally, I wouldn't go robbing any parts off an old robot until it's necessary. You never know if you'll need to use something old to prototype.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

117 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 05:23 AM
OCCRA GDC Member
AKA: FUN - Michigan Region Recap Host
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)

Rookie Year: 2007
Nick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond repute

I wish it was legal to reuse components from previous years. Allowing teams to reuse the same drive-train multiple years would make a big improvement to most teams overall experience over the course of a season.

I know people will say that future kids would lose out on learning about what goes into designing/building that drive train, but for the teams that have the resources to take the time to do a new one every year, you could continue to. This rule change would massively help teams with not a lot of time, mentor support, money, etc. to get from kickoff to a functioning robot that much quicker and better.

I'd also be in favor of FIRST standardizing the field floor to just always being flat carpet, as this would allow those teams to work on their drive train before kickoff, giving them more time to work on the more complicated aspects of the robot during build/competition season. Again, I know people will say that this would take away the design challenges that unique obstacles/floor gives, but lets be real all these have historically done is make your average match worse to watch due to the floor of robot competence being lower with the added floor complexity. I'm pretty confident that FIRST can have games with hard enough challenges outside of requiring a unique floor/obstacle to keep all levels of teams busy.

FRC/VEX 33: Killer Bees, Design/Strategy Mentor (2018-Present)

FRC/VEX 2451: PWNAGE, Design/Strategy/Scouting Mentor (2013-2017)
FRC/VEX 2451: PWNAGE, Team President/Driver/Student (2009-2012)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 06:38 AM
FRC #7126

Byron McKinley is an unknown quantity at this point

Does that include another chassis?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 06:43 AM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Coussens View Post
...I'm pretty confident that FIRST can have games with hard enough challenges outside of requiring a unique floor/obstacle to keep all levels of teams busy.
Its seems that Nick has been well and truly aFiMalated. He is advocating for the OCCRAfication of FRC.

Not a bad strategy, if the goal is a sustainable robotics program at every HS that is big enough to field a football team. I think that should be the goal.

Reasonable people can disagree. I like the Michigan model.

---

Back on topic: I would support a rules change (if anyone asked my opinion) to allow re-using KoP drivetrains even if the sheet metal parts have been slightly modified; e.g., by cutting to size or drilling a few holes.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 07:14 AM
Another day, gotta give 'em hell
AKA: It's burning straight through the dark...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Coussens View Post
I wish it was legal to reuse components from previous years. Allowing teams to reuse the same drive-train multiple years would make a big improvement to most teams overall experience over the course of a season.

I know people will say that future kids would lose out on learning about what goes into designing/building that drive train, but for the teams that have the resources to take the time to do a new one every year, you could continue to. This rule change would massively help teams with not a lot of time, mentor support, money, etc. to get from kickoff to a functioning robot that much quicker and better.

I'd also be in favor of FIRST standardizing the field floor to just always being flat carpet, as this would allow those teams to work on their drive train before kickoff, giving them more time to work on the more complicated aspects of the robot during build/competition season. Again, I know people will say that this would take away the design challenges that unique obstacles/floor gives, but lets be real all these have historically done is make your average match worse to watch due to the floor of robot competence being lower with the added floor complexity. I'm pretty confident that FIRST can have games with hard enough challenges outside of requiring a unique floor/obstacle to keep all levels of teams busy.
Under 2018 rules (which are not necessarily 2019 rules), you can strip everything down and use, at worst, everything but the sheetmetal in a future robot and then just snag the AM14U3 Frame Only.

Even if you ignore the game design aspect of "hey, let's use the same drivetrain over and over", I think there's a valid concern for new drivetrains helping to create a great team experience: maintenance. Most FRC robots go through neglect at best and hell at worst in the off-season, so dropping a whole new top part of the robot on top means you're almost certainly sending some thrashed drivetrains (thrashed CIMs especially) into first events. And that's if a team built their AM14U3 to the instructions; I've seen some Crimes Against AM14U3s™️ at events in my travels. Having a team start over on the drivetrain does ensure teams had to at least take it apart and inspect. While that takes time, I think it's time well-spent.

(Also, I support Richard's stance about small holes. Although I doubt anyone is policing it that tightly at events.)

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

117 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.

Last edited by Billfred : 12-06-2018 at 07:17 AM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 07:18 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wallace View Post
Back on topic: I would support a rules change (if anyone asked my opinion) to allow re-using KoP drivetrains even if the sheet metal parts have been slightly modified; e.g., by cutting to size or drilling a few holes.
Honestly, I don't know if I agree. With the bag going away in 2020, that should make the build season at least 7-8 weeks for all teams. All teams get a full KoP chassis set in the kit with instructions for assembly. For most teams, this takes at most a day or two. For low-resource teams without proper mentorship/training, I could possibly see this taking up to a week. That still leaves 6-7 weeks to build the rest of the robot.

If not having to rebuild the kit chassis is really making that big of a difference in your season, maybe FRC isn't the right program for you. Switching to FTC shouldn't be seen as a downgrade for teams that consistently don't have the resources to be competitive in FRC.
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 08:11 AM
ME who pretends to code
AKA: Tim W
FRC #0343 (Metal in Motion)

Rookie Year: 2010
fargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud offargus111111111 has much to be proud of

In your competition robot, without significant effort and creativity no, but you know what it is really good for?

TESTING!!!!!

Even if you do not build a fully functional practice bot, just having a rectangle with wheels that you can stick stuff on and push around to try out things like intakes and the like can be super helpful. (you can also use it to play a little defense during practice, or at least park it in the way)

play is the highest form of research-Einstein
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 09:08 AM
FRC #4242

apm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Physical ROBOT elements created before Kickoff are not permitted.
Any opinions on where the line is with this sort of thing? For example, if we take a piece of aluminum square tube off last year's robot and cut it in half during the build season, can we use it on this year's robot? I would think yes. What if we cut it down by 1/8"? Drilled a hole? Filed an edge?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: