OCCRA
Go to Post Technology is everywhere, yet the human factor is what makes an event special. - synth3tk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2018, 07:11 PM
catkin_maker (wiki.ros.org)
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2013
Adithya Balaji has a reputation beyond reputeAdithya Balaji has a reputation beyond reputeAdithya Balaji has a reputation beyond reputeAdithya Balaji has a reputation beyond reputeAdithya Balaji has a reputation beyond reputeAdithya Balaji has a reputation beyond reputeAdithya Balaji has a reputation beyond reputeAdithya Balaji has a reputation beyond reputeAdithya Balaji has a reputation beyond reputeAdithya Balaji has a reputation beyond reputeAdithya Balaji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: paper: ZebROS 1.0: ROS for FRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Speak of the devil - your name is in the paper. Along with some others...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJaget View Post
Legacy and/or blame. It is a fine line.
I appreciate the shout out. And hey now, I didn't recommend switching everything to ROS in a year haha. Though, now that you have done it, next year should be really interesting!

2018 - FIRST NC Volunteer
2017 - 900 - Newton Quarterfinalist, District Championship Winner, Excellence in Engineering (NC District Championship)
2016 - 900 - Excellence in Engineering (NC District Championship)
2015 - 4828 - Spirit Award (NC Regional)
2014 - 4828 - 8th Alliance Captain (NC Regional)
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2018, 07:26 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adithya Balaji View Post
I appreciate the shout out. And hey now, I didn't recommend switching everything to ROS in a year haha. Though, now that you have done it, next year should be really interesting!
I like that the paper has about 150 downloads at this point and I can only surmise that almost all of them are from former Zebracorns based on the comments so far.
Clarke's Laws
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2018, 10:34 PM
Mentor
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I like that the paper has about 150 downloads at this point and I can only surmise that almost all of them are from former Zebracorns based on the comments so far.
I downloaded it. Read about 20 pages, at which point I was treading water not swimming. I appreciate the bleeding edge work, but I just didn't see the payoff for FRC, at least right now. Maybe once the path is more sufficiently forged. My comment would just be that in a year or two, if things progress that way, that something akin to a getting started document, rather than a more documented paper, would be more inviting to step into ROS. Which I think they'd be people interested in introducing it to their students, even if they may not be using all the things that increase its worth (co-processors, certain sensors, etc). The last two years during outreach events I've had a robot hobbyist approach me and talk, and he asks me why we don't program with ROS. I am glad to at least tell him that some teams do and then I try to convince him to come to our meetings (his kid is in 3rd grade, so maybe in a few years).
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2018, 11:43 PM
FRC #6886 (Synthesizers)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2015
BCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud of

Our team has been looking forward to the release of your white paper since it we first heard about it. The students had decided they wanted to combine the lidar, jetson, and ROS for an off-season project. We really had no idea where to start, or any experience with this these systems. Since your team was able to make these things work together, our students are even more motivated to work on this project.

I foresee many long nights and long weekends between now and January.
2018 Highest Rookie Seed -- Heartland
2018 Highest Rookie Seed -- Greater Kansas City
2018 Highest Rookie Seed -- Galileo Division
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-29-2018, 07:15 PM
AKA: Olivia
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2017
o.fugi has much to be proud ofo.fugi has much to be proud ofo.fugi has much to be proud ofo.fugi has much to be proud ofo.fugi has much to be proud ofo.fugi has much to be proud ofo.fugi has much to be proud ofo.fugi has much to be proud ofo.fugi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad House View Post
Regarding the starting scripts, was the robotCommand script just not running? I'd be interested in helping to figure that issue out, as it might help make the WPILib startup simpler as well.
The robotCommand script is only set up when you deploy code through Eclipse, which we didn't use at all this season. And since we had nodes running on both the roboRIO and the Jetson, it was better to just use the network capabilities we had with ROS to launch all of those nodes from one central location -- that is, the Jetson, which was easier to work with than the RIO anyway.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-30-2018, 12:25 AM
Mentor - 1334/1374
FRC #1334 (OT Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2009
JamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond reputeJamieSinn has a reputation beyond repute

Year after year, 900 astounds me with the abilities of FIRST students and robots in FRC.

Congratulations, and I can't wait to try out some ROS in the offseason!

1334/1374 Control Systems Mentor
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-14-2018, 06:43 PM
FRC #0088

agamemnon is a glorious beacon of lightagamemnon is a glorious beacon of lightagamemnon is a glorious beacon of lightagamemnon is a glorious beacon of lightagamemnon is a glorious beacon of light

That was a really interesting read, very impressive work. I'm probably going to try this out myself. I've thought about using ROS on an FRC robot but never got around to trying.

However, the way I was thinking about it was running the roscore and most nodes offboard the RoboRIO and just using a ROS java library or roscpp on the RIO itself to do hardware/field interfacing (controlling talons, interacting with DS and FMS, etc). Is that an approach you considered? I'm curious to hear from people that have spent a lot more time thinking about this than me..
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-14-2018, 08:17 PM

marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: paper: ZebROS 1.0: ROS for FRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by agamemnon View Post
That was a really interesting read, very impressive work. I'm probably going to try this out myself. I've thought about using ROS on an FRC robot but never got around to trying.

However, the way I was thinking about it was running the roscore and most nodes offboard the RoboRIO and just using a ROS java library or roscpp on the RIO itself to do hardware/field interfacing (controlling talons, interacting with DS and FMS, etc). Is that an approach you considered? I'm curious to hear from people that have spent a lot more time thinking about this than me..
Effectively thatís what weíve done at this point. The hardware interface has to go through the rRIO. If you want to take advantage of ROS then itís ideal to do a bit more than just send basic control though. You want to utilize the ROS node framework and do things in a more ROS oriented way. Itís what necessitated the full rewrite that we did and why, amazing as it may be, the work that Tufts has done to integrate LabVIEW with ROS just isnít enough for us.
Clarke's Laws
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-16-2018, 03:33 PM
FRC #0088

agamemnon is a glorious beacon of lightagamemnon is a glorious beacon of lightagamemnon is a glorious beacon of lightagamemnon is a glorious beacon of lightagamemnon is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Effectively thatís what weíve done at this point. The hardware interface has to go through the rRIO. If you want to take advantage of ROS then itís ideal to do a bit more than just send basic control though. You want to utilize the ROS node framework and do things in a more ROS oriented way. Itís what necessitated the full rewrite that we did and why, amazing as it may be, the work that Tufts has done to integrate LabVIEW with ROS just isnít enough for us.
Fair enough, I was just trying to think of how you could run ROS without having to cross-compile an entire ROS install for the RIO. But then again, maybe I'm underestimating how many dependencies you'd have to cross compile to get roscpp working anyway, and I've never used ros_control so it wouldn't have occurred to me to want that on the RIO as well.

Great work again, can't wait to try it out.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-16-2018, 07:04 PM
Zebravision Labs
AKA: Kevin
FRC #0900

Rookie Year: 2015
KJaget has a reputation beyond reputeKJaget has a reputation beyond reputeKJaget has a reputation beyond reputeKJaget has a reputation beyond reputeKJaget has a reputation beyond reputeKJaget has a reputation beyond reputeKJaget has a reputation beyond reputeKJaget has a reputation beyond reputeKJaget has a reputation beyond reputeKJaget has a reputation beyond reputeKJaget has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by agamemnon View Post
Fair enough, I was just trying to think of how you could run ROS without having to cross-compile an entire ROS install for the RIO. But then again, maybe I'm underestimating how many dependencies you'd have to cross compile to get roscpp working anyway, and I've never used ros_control so it wouldn't have occurred to me to want that on the RIO as well.

Great work again, can't wait to try it out.
Not trying to drive any particular approach, but the pain in a ROS for RIO cross compile is mainly in getting the first few packages going. Adding more after that is mostly painless - a few packages act up but the majority just work once you have things set up correctly to get any built.

And ros_control is a bit of a mind-bender until you try it, and then it makes a lot of sense. Most RIO-based HW interfaces map pretty cleanly. The talons are an exception, but that mostly depends on how many of the features you expose to users.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2018, 07:25 PM

https://roscon.ros.org/2018/#day-2-september-30th

Congratulations Anja, Olivia, Niall, and Ryan. You crazy international robot rock stars!
Clarke's Laws
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Engineering Program Management
VRC #8081 (STEMRobotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Foster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond repute

For Wednesday night and Thursday day this site has a free ROS book. https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning/
Delmarva Robotics and VEXMen Team Site come see what we can do for you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: