OCCRA
Go to Post "You don't have to prototype everything, just the things you want to work." - Chris is me [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 01:01 PM
FRC #5256 (The Atomics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2014
Brian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond repute
paper: Roboting: A Guide for Total Noobs

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

Roboting: A Guide for Total Noobs by Brian Gray
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 01:03 PM
that girl from Georgia
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2012
kristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: paper: Roboting: A Guide for Total Noobs

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing it!

Check out the FRC Survival Guide
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 01:14 PM
FRC #5256 (The Atomics)

Brian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Gray has a reputation beyond repute

I've been debating whether to upload this or not, but here goes:

This guide was originally intended for novices joining our team and was written over a 2-month period, following the epic spanking that was our 2018 FRC season. It's a work in progress and is somewhat disjointed in places.

If you are like me and have students who repeatedly propose using "a thing...that goes into a thing...and sort of...does stuff" during brainstorming and prototyping stages, then this might be for you. It's more to acquaint students with the different "things" in FRC and give brief descriptions of the "stuff" they can do.

It is purposely designed for those with short attention spans and features a lot of pictures and brief snippets of text.

It is, however, totally not finished, hence the rather abrupt ending.

Please let me know what you think and any changes you suggest.

Also, I did a lot of hasty Google image searches, so apologies to anyone who sees their photos or graphics used without permission.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Learn to crawl before you ball
AKA: Yo! Champ in the making!
FRC #0299 (Valkyrie Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

This is amazing, I love it. Thank you so much for sharing!

If you ever make any revisions, I'd suggest adding flex wheels to the wheel section! They've got tons of options in durometers and sizes, and are fantastic for intakes and other roller subsystems. I doubt I'll design a robot without them ever again.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 01:47 PM
FRC #5256 (The Atomics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
This is amazing, I love it. Thank you so much for sharing!

If you ever make any revisions, I'd suggest adding flex wheels to the wheel section! They've got tons of options in durometers and sizes, and are fantastic for intakes and other roller subsystems. I doubt I'll design a robot without them ever again.
I believe they are referred to as compliant wheels in the wheel subsection titled "other wheels"...or something like that.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 01:48 PM
Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

That's very comprehensive! Thanks for all your hard work.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Learn to crawl before you ball
AKA: Yo! Champ in the making!
FRC #0299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gray View Post
I believe they are referred to as compliant wheels in the wheel subsection titled "other wheels"...or something like that.
Gotcha - the section only mentions AndyMark Compliant Wheels, which are a specific type of wheel only available through AndyMark. Since other sections mentioned multiple variations and suppliers for different robot parts, it seemed like Flex Wheels were being left out. There's definitely similarities between the two, but they're different in terms of use cases and available mounting styles. I figured I'd bring it up since more options for teams is never a bad thing.

That aside, this guide is going to be mandatory reading for my team. The thoroughness makes it an invaluable training resource that I can't wait for my students to use!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 02:08 PM
FRC #5256 (The Atomics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
Gotcha - the section only mentions AndyMark Compliant Wheels, which are a specific type of wheel only available through AndyMark. Since other sections mentioned multiple variations and suppliers for different robot parts, it seemed like Flex Wheels were being left out. There's definitely similarities between the two, but they're different in terms of use cases and available mounting styles. I figured I'd bring it up since more options for teams is never a bad thing.

Completely understand. I tried to go with the generic/proper term for each component, but a few placeholders got left along the way. In this particular case I found a vendor who makes urethane wheels and rollers that they referred to as compliant, so I took that as corroboration. This was a tricky one.

Quote:
That aside, this guide is going to be mandatory reading for my team. The thoroughness makes it an invaluable training resource that I can't wait for my students to use!
Wow. I'm humbled. Thanks.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 02:16 PM
FRC #5858

Rookie Year: 2015
trycatch is a name known to alltrycatch is a name known to alltrycatch is a name known to alltrycatch is a name known to alltrycatch is a name known to alltrycatch is a name known to all

I haven't finished looking through this, but this legit looks incredible. I wish I'd had this when we started years ago. I've already sent this to a rookie team in our area.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 03:25 PM
The Nature Bot - WOOOO!
FRC #1720 (PhyXTGears)

Rookie Year: 2001
Ryan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Dognaux

This is seriously fantastic. Nice work and thanks for sharing it.
Team 4329 Mentor: 2013 - 2017 :: Team 1720 Mentor: Current
STL Off-Season Event: www.gatewayroboticschallenge.com
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 03:25 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Brian Gray, you are my hero. This is fantastic!

Many, many people will be using this great resource during this year and years to come.

Sincerely,
Andy B.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 05:17 PM
AKA: Tim Flynn
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe), #1228 (RoboTribe)

Rookie Year: 2016
tjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond repute

Brian,

What a fantastic collection of resources you've put together! That being said, I've noticed some of my own photos and resources thrown into it (Specifically the latch section and those immediately before and after, as indicated by choice in photos.), as well as that of others that I've used in sources I suspect you used.

You openly admit that it's incomplete; In a more complete version, do you intend to link / reference the year & team of the robot you're exhibiting a feature of? I specifically did that myself in my own resources, as I knew that some people wanted to do additional research on their own, and a team number and season is a good starting point.

Thanks for putting together a cohesive collection of resources, I'm sure this will be used for many years to come!

1257 (2016) - Student
1257 (2017-Present) - Overactive Alumnus | 1228 (2017-Present) - I do stuff
KD2KRT
Papers: Encyclopedia Robotica v2 | An FRC Anthology

Last edited by tjf : 11-08-2018 at 05:50 PM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 07:13 PM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

This is amazing. Perhaps the best I've ever seen. I can't begin to imagine the time this must have taken to put together. You have done an incredible service for the FIRST Robotics community with this one. The students you work with are so fortunate to be guided by someone with your drive and passion for it. Thank you for sharing!
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 07:16 PM
Made in Wisconsin
AKA: Katie Widen
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2008
Katie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond repute

There is so much information that I could populate a preseason from this single resource! This is fantastic!

Just as a suggestion that will help teams make weight - not all gears need to be steel. My team has found that most gears are fine as 7075 aluminum (a la VEXPro) and typically we only need steel gears for very high loads (ie catapult crank, pinions).

Also, I highly recommend the pixy (https://pixycam.com/pixy-cmucam5/) as another camera option - its cheap and easy and makes vision tracking very accessible.

1675->3928->1296->??
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2018, 07:28 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

So I like a lot of this presentation but I noticed some of the information is misleading or just incorrect in places. I'd be worried about just giving this to new students.

The slide on live vs dead axles is particularly troubling. The descriptions of using omni wheels in tank drives seems inconsistent as well with some of your example photos. You also mention a limit of only 4 air tanks on a robot that hasn't been in the rule book for over a decade. A lot of FTC specific items get used in example photos that don't really make sense, like tilerunner.

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: