OCCRA
Go to Post The mission of FIRST is not just to promote science and technology, but to help every student involved to reach their full potential and achieve their dreams - [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 12:41 AM
AKA: Lucas Pickett
FRC #2410 (Metal Mustangs)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
lapickett has a spectacular aura aboutlapickett has a spectacular aura about
Fog Machine (shower thought)

If Dean doesn't put a fog machine on the field to simulate a rocket launch I'll be sad.

But in all seriousness, what would be the viability of this happening at an FRC competition? Would it affect robotic components? I feel like it would be pretty hype.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 12:47 AM
Waiting for my Tableau Sponsorship
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fog Machine (shower thought)

Seems pretty tame compared to the stunts pulled at PNW DCMP the last couple years.

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 12:49 AM
Jack of all trades, Master of none
AKA: Brian Wagg
FRC #3739 (Oakbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
cad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud of

I spent the last month and half or so working for a company that specializes in fog machines. One of the biggest concerns I would have is if there was a leak/spill of the fog fluid on or near any electrical components (they do not mix well at all). However, once the fluid is vaporized into the fog or haze (haze would probably be better for visibility) I don't know how it would interact with the electronics on board the robots or field. My first instincts would be there would be no harm to the robots. But what the more long term affects on the field equipment are, I do not know.

That would being said, if this were to happen, it would be freakin awesome!

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 10:39 AM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

It turns out that a fog machine can set off an optical smoke detector like the beam-breaking kind that are used to span wide, high-ceilinged rooms like gyms. This issue arose when setting up for the first Chezy Champs.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Jack of all trades, Master of none
AKA: Brian Wagg
FRC #3739 (Oakbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
cad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Lall View Post
It turns out that a fog machine can set off an optical smoke detector like the beam-breaking kind that are used to span wide, high-ceilinged rooms like gyms. This issue arose when setting up for the first Chezy Champs.
Funny you mention that. My appartment building was evacuated due to the fire alarms going off the night before Halloween this year. Turns out the people running the haunted house pumped to much for into the place and it triggered the alarm. Thank goodness it wasn't raining (that time)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: