OCCRA
Go to Post Any adult can open a door. Some can give direction. A few can give leadership. These are the true mentors. This is where true success comes from. - sanddrag [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 12:35 PM
FRC #3620 (The Average Joes)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2017
HoracioJoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't get AMT absolute encoders to work

So we're doing swerve for our first time this year, and we bought a couple of AMT 112S encoders to measure the wheels' azimuth.

To test the encoder we 3D printed a gear with a long shaft which rotates on a bearing attached to the case. It can be seen here:

We used the cable seen on the picture, and based on the datasheet we marked down which wires are what and taped the ones we didn't need. We plugged in the wires to an Interface Board on top of a Talon SRX we have hooked up to a test board.

We use LED's on the board to see if we are getting encoder readings, but when we tried spinning the gear, the A and B LED's on the board didn't blink. We double checked several times that the wires matched the pins on the datasheet to make sure the wiring was done correctly. We swapped out encoders to see if it was the encoder that was faulty but we still didn't get any signal.

To test the individual pins (A and B) we made a small circuit with resistors, a power source and an oscilloscope that plugged into the encoder. We still wouldn't get any voltage oscillations for either pin when we spun the gear.

Does anyone have any experience with these encoders or has had a similar issue? Is there any obvious step that we missed? We are stuck at the moment and don't know what to do.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 12:39 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
Marcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can't get AMT absolute encoders to work

What did you set the PPR to?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 12:40 PM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoracioJoe View Post
So we're doing swerve for our first time this year, and we bought a couple of AMT 112S encoders to measure the wheels' azimuth.

To test the encoder we 3D printed a gear with a long shaft which rotates on a bearing attached to the case. It can be seen here:

We used the cable seen on the picture, and based on the datasheet we marked down which wires are what and taped the ones we didn't need. We plugged in the wires to an Interface Board on top of a Talon SRX we have hooked up to a test board.

We use LED's on the board to see if we are getting encoder readings, but when we tried spinning the gear, the A and B LED's on the board didn't blink. We double checked several times that the wires matched the pins on the datasheet to make sure the wiring was done correctly. We swapped out encoders to see if it was the encoder that was faulty but we still didn't get any signal.

To test the individual pins (A and B) we made a small circuit with resistors, a power source and an oscilloscope that plugged into the encoder. We still wouldn't get any voltage oscillations for either pin when we spun the gear.

Does anyone have any experience with these encoders or has had a similar issue? Is there any obvious step that we missed? We are stuck at the moment and don't know what to do.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
I suspect it's this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datasheet
The AMT11 series encoder is designed to operate with a serial UART interface. This interface allows the encoder to be configured and programmed by the AMT ViewpointTM application. Along with programming, the AMT ViewpointTM application uses the serial interface for diagnostics and index alignment. Below are instructions on how to use the serial interface for position zeroing.
You'll likely need to configure it over serial before you can use it. I could be wrong because I haven't worked with these but this seems highly probable.
Clarke's Laws
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
I suspect it's this:

You'll likely need to configure it over serial before you can use it. I could be wrong because I haven't worked with these but this seems highly probable.
Sorry, I forgot to mention we did configure it over serial before we used it, we made sure it had the latest firmware and configured it.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Q View Post
What did you set the PPR to?
We set it to 4096 CPR, so I think that would be 1024 PPR
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 12:52 PM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoracioJoe View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention we did configure it over serial before we used it, we made sure it had the latest firmware and configured it.
Cool. Have you tried putting in an email or call to CUI and see if they can help with diagnosing the problem?
Clarke's Laws
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Cool. Have you tried putting in an email or call to CUI and see if they can help with diagnosing the problem?
Yea, I sent them an email the other day and I am still waiting for a response. I might give them a call when I get the chance.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 01:12 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
Marcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a reason your using the AMT11 over the simpler AMT10's? I've used those successfully in the past. I'd assume you want the configurable index for your azimuth?

If your getting absolutely nothing on the oscilloscope I'd lean towards some sort of configuration issue.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 02:09 PM

Yes, we went for it because we we want to use the index pulse.

I'll go over the configuration again to make sure its properly set up, thanks!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2018, 12:49 AM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

The AMT102/3 have index pulses, FWIW. I've used AMT103s several times without issue. Going forward, I would recommend them for simplicity's sake.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: