OCCRA
Go to Post I had a life before FIRST - I just can't remember what it was. - Tom Ore [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2018, 09:10 PM
FRC #5509 (Like a boss.)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2017
CorbinFRC5509 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb RoboRio for LED Matrix

I was talking with my coach about LED signs and he said he wanted to make a sort of hype robot. He said wants lights on the sides that are screens that will react to sound and Fire Up or something like that. The part I don't know is if hooking the LED matrix panels from Adafruit to the RoboRio is possible and whether it will work. Here is a link to the specific type of LED matrix: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1484 .

All the example I have found online for these boards are with arduinos or raspberry pis but since we'll be using a RoboRio anyways it'd be awesome if we could figure out how to do this.

Here is the wiring information for the board also: https://learn.adafruit.com/32x16-32x...rix/new-wiring
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2018, 11:15 PM
FRC #5518 (Techno Wolves)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
DubstepLion1 is a glorious beacon of lightDubstepLion1 is a glorious beacon of lightDubstepLion1 is a glorious beacon of lightDubstepLion1 is a glorious beacon of lightDubstepLion1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: RoboRio for LED Matrix

It looks like it might work with the DIO pins. The data logic level input says 5v so I think it's compatible. I don't know if you would need a resistor, but I would power it directly from the VRM instead of the rio.

As for code, you would probably have to write a wrapper on the DigitalOutput class if you are using Java. The LEDs aren't controlled by PWM signal and instead seem to rely on on/off switching.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2018, 08:42 AM
FRC #5607

CEF has a reputation beyond reputeCEF has a reputation beyond reputeCEF has a reputation beyond reputeCEF has a reputation beyond reputeCEF has a reputation beyond reputeCEF has a reputation beyond reputeCEF has a reputation beyond reputeCEF has a reputation beyond reputeCEF has a reputation beyond reputeCEF has a reputation beyond reputeCEF has a reputation beyond repute

There's a great library out there usng those boards for the beaglebone black. One caution: depending on your video, they can draw a fair bit of current.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 08:51 AM
3574 - The King's of Bling
AKA: Jim
FRC #3574 (High Tekerz)

Rookie Year: 2012
InFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond repute

We have had some seriously over the top bling LEDs on our completion robots.

Hollywood robot- Yes that's 15 pounds of LEDs and drivers
https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...highlight=3574

Jupiter - Our round reader board
http://hackcasual.io/blingboard/

Last edited by InFlight : 04-30-2018 at 08:57 AM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 03:24 PM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

Rookie Year: 2015
gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote from the adafruit link:

Quote:
Keep in mind that these displays are designed to be driven by FPGAs or other high speed processors: they do not have built in PWM control of any kind. Instead, you're supposed to redraw the screen over and over to 'manually' PWM the whole thing.
TL;DR - probably possible, but definitely not recommended. Save your RIO processing power for running your actual robot. Set up an Arduino, Beaglebone, or other processor to drive the images you want. Then, use something (I2C/SPI/Serial/CAN/etc.) to send commands from the RIO to the other processor to control the image to taste.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2018, 06:19 PM
FRC #5509 (Like a boss.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerthworm View Post
Quote from the adafruit link:

TL;DR - probably possible, but definitely not recommended. Save your RIO processing power for running your actual robot. Set up an Arduino, Beaglebone, or other processor to drive the images you want. Then, use something (I2C/SPI/Serial/CAN/etc.) to send commands from the RIO to the other processor to control the image to taste.
This won't be a competition robot it will essentially be a plybot with leds to make a display for football game cheers etc.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2018, 06:23 PM
FRC #5509 (Like a boss.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlight View Post
We have had some seriously over the top bling LEDs on our completion robots.

Hollywood robot- Yes that's 15 pounds of LEDs and drivers
https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...highlight=3574

Jupiter - Our round reader board
http://hackcasual.io/blingboard/
Those are pretty insane I'll show those to my mentor the nest chance I get.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2018, 06:26 PM
FRC #5509 (Like a boss.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubstepLion1 View Post
It looks like it might work with the DIO pins. The data logic level input says 5v so I think it's compatible. I don't know if you would need a resistor, but I would power it directly from the VRM instead of the rio.

As for code, you would probably have to write a wrapper on the DigitalOutput class if you are using Java. The LEDs aren't controlled by PWM signal and instead seem to rely on on/off switching.
If I used the DIO pins on the roboRio would I need to use the jumper wire method in order to put the wires in the correct place on the DIO or should the ribbon cable from the matrix board just line up correctly with the DIO?
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2018, 06:25 PM
AKA: Michael Bilinsky
FRC #0296 (The Northern Knights)

Rookie Year: 2010
NetPlanet is an unknown quantity at this point

The main roadblock with hooking up an Adafruit LED matrix to a roboRIO would be on the programming side. I'm not aware of any libraries for Adafruit's matrices for roboRio's. I'm sure it would be quite the learning experience to implement one yourself! I can definitely vouch for Adafruit's excellent Arduino libraries. We've been having fun toting around an Adafruit 1484 matrix on some of our robots for the past few years and relied on an Adruino to draw images off an SD card.

This year's bot: https://imgur.com/rjU9icu

A write up of our LED Matrix setup (with custom PCB!):
http://www.netopyaplanet.com/article.php?id=12
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Herder of programmers
AKA: Doug Wegscheid
FRC #3620 (The Average Joes)

Rookie Year: 2011
fovea1959 will become famous soon enough

We've experience with this. Definitely do with a coprocessor. You can talk to the coprocessor from the Rio over ethernet. You can run Falcon Player on a BeagleBone, and make http requests to the BB to change what's happening. It's hacky, but works. It's also easy to get the initial setup on the panels working; then all the pain is between the Rio and the BB....

There is a team we were pitted next to in 2016(?) at World's that had a coprocessor on the bot, and had written a PyGame driver for the panels, which made them *very* accessible to new programmers. I don't have contact information for them anymore (probably), but other people have had the idea: go googling for some libraries. If you go down to this level, you can do about anything, interface-wise.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2018, 10:12 AM
I Make Things Go Woosh
AKA: Zach Brown
FRC #6502 (DARC SIDE)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2018
21brownz is a glorious beacon of light21brownz is a glorious beacon of light21brownz is a glorious beacon of light21brownz is a glorious beacon of light21brownz is a glorious beacon of light

We used ws2812b panels and used a Teensy Micro to drive them. It stored animations as "cues" and the roborio communicated to change the cues with i2c. I liked the design because it freed up processing time on the rio and ws2812b s are all over ebay and amazon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: