OCCRA
Go to Post Robotic Football now thats something I would build 6 weeks for. - Nikkocharger [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 03:47 PM
no team

Thrice is an unknown quantity at this point
What COTS parts would you like to see?

Now that the season has come to an end and we all have had some time to reflect on the season.

What are some COTS part that you wish that you could have had during the season?

What are some COTS Parts that you would like to see going forward?

Personal I would like to see a wider variety of hex broached gears in both 32 and 20 DP with a pocketed version to lose some weight on the robot. I would also like to see a disc brake that had a hex hub.

What are your thoughts?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 03:55 PM
AKA: Owen Dray
FRC #2067 (Apple Pi)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2016
OwenD will become famous soon enoughOwenD will become famous soon enough
Re: What COTS parts would you like to see?

I would love to see more options in the COTS swerve market. We used the 221 Systems Revolution module for many years, and they worked great for us but are no longer available.

Right now the only available COTS swerve is the swerve and steer which I have heard people have had issues with, and there is no partial solution like the rev module was.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 04:00 PM
AKA: Charlie Lockyer
FRC #4505 (McDonogh Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2017
C4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud of

30 tooth bevel gears, preferably hex.

The views I express in my posts almost never represent the views of my team.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 04:08 PM
AndyMark Mechanical Engineer
AKA: Nathan
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
NathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond repute

In case it wasn't obvious by now, we do keep a very close eye on these threads. Keep the good ideas coming!

[2016-20??]: Mentor: FRC Team 3940"CyberTooth"
[2013-2016]: Mentor: FRC Team 365 "MOE"
[2012-2013]: Mentor: FRC Team 3929 "Atomic Dragons"
[2011-2012]: Mentor: FRC Team 365 "MOE"
[2008-2011]: Student: FRC Team 365 "MOE"
[2007-2008]: Student: FTC Team 365 "MOE"
[2005-2007]: Student: FLL Team "The MOEstangs"
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 04:14 PM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanNFM View Post
In case it wasn't obvious by now, we do keep a very close eye on these threads. Keep the good ideas coming!
I just want to say that the 57 sport rocked my world. We used the 100:1 version for both joints of our arm and never once had an issue despite pretty severe service. Thanks AM and Banebots!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

Encoder stage option for the 57 sport. Don't think I'll ever go back to VPs for anything high reduction/low output speed again. I'd love to see an easy to mount output stage encoder solution like the VPs have. And please for the love of god do not put those tiny molex connectors on it.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 04:22 PM
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)

nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
I would also like to see a disc brake that had a hex hub.
This would be dead easy for a COTS supplier. A waterjetted adapter between the 44mm ISO disc brake bolt circle and the 1.875" AM/Vex bolt circle would be very cheap. You could probably even waterjet (or laser-cut, or machine) the whole rotor and resell knock-off mechanical calipers (although Avid BB5s are usually pretty easy to find).
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 04:27 PM
FRC #2910 (Jack in the Bot)

Rookie Year: 2009
PatrickW is a splendid one to beholdPatrickW is a splendid one to beholdPatrickW is a splendid one to beholdPatrickW is a splendid one to beholdPatrickW is a splendid one to beholdPatrickW is a splendid one to beholdPatrickW is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
I would love to see more options in the COTS swerve market. We used the 221 Systems Revolution module for many years, and they worked great for us but are no longer available.

Right now the only available COTS swerve is the swerve and steer which I have heard people have had issues with, and there is no partial solution like the rev module was.
I may or may not have something in the works
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 04:28 PM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Minnetonka)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenD View Post

WCP Swerve is rumored to be coming soon.

EDIT: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...1&postcount=17

My posts constitute my opinions, and mine alone, and are not representative of the views held by my team.
2010-2011: FLL 11083, 13873 (Minnetonka Silver) - Programmer
2016-: FRC 3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) - Engineering Captain, fmr. Programming Lead, 2017&2018 Dean's List Finalist
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka) - Founding Mentor

Last edited by pkrishna3082 : 05-01-2018 at 04:44 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 04:32 PM
Lizard King
AKA: "very active discussion within our community"
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrishna3082 View Post
WCP Swerve is rumored to be coming soon.
It's following the same development cycle as California districts.

I am not an engineer or educator by trade, but I love this sport. If you are interested in mentoring the best students in FIRST and willing to put up with me, please contact me via PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 04:41 PM
FRC #4918 (The Roboctopi)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2013
AustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to beholdAustinH is a splendid one to behold

In-line direct 1:1 encoder mounting options for 3/8 and 1/2 hex shaft.
4918: 2014 PNW Glacier Peak District Event Rookie Inspiration Award & Quarter-Finalists, 2014 PNW Mount Vernon District Event Highest Rookie Seed Award, Rookie All Star & Semi-Finalists, 2015 PNW West Valley District Event Engineering Excellence Award & Semi-Finalists, 2015 PNW Mount Vernon District Event Semi-Finalists, 2017 PNW Mount Vernon Innovation in Control Award, 2017 PNW Auburn District Event Winners with 2046 and 5947

Visit us on the web at www.team4918.org
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 04:50 PM
BCR Mentor Advisor
AKA: Ken S
FRC #0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
kaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant future

1) 2019 Deep Space COTS manipulator/shooter
2) 2019 Deep Space COTS robot
etc....

<ducks>

in all seriousness,

1) I think i would think more GT2/3 Pulleys and Belts would be great.

2) another item is to help teams use the SRX encoder would be a simple magnet mount that can screw into a thundehex shaft to help put the magnet in the right spot for teams that don't have a lathe
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 04:53 PM
AKA: Michael Horwath
FRC #5986 (Iron Fangs)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2013
Mykey is a splendid one to beholdMykey is a splendid one to beholdMykey is a splendid one to beholdMykey is a splendid one to beholdMykey is a splendid one to beholdMykey is a splendid one to behold

A bolt on chain/belt tensioner for common FRC belt (9mm, 15mm) and chain (#25, #35) sizes.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 05:02 PM
Never look back, no, never say die
AKA: Always attack with the warrior's cry...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

1) Dual RedLine input for 57 Sport. Bonus points for flip-motor mounting options and a spot for an SRX encoder.
2) The return of the 221 double 17-tooth #25 sprocket, in 1/2" hex.
3) If someone wants to replicate the VersaFrame gussets with #11 holes, I'm there.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

113 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 05:02 PM
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinH View Post
In-line direct 1:1 encoder mounting options for 3/8 and 1/2 hex shaft.
You rang? (OK, not 1:1, but we could probably do that next year if needed)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: