OCCRA
Go to Post To quote Dylan, "When you aint got nothing, you got nothing to lose". - KenWittlief [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Should the Technician role exist in 2019 and beyond?
Yes 176 81.48%
No 40 18.52%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 12:59 AM
#JusticeForPinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Brian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond repute
Looking back on the Technician

FIRST tried something new this season with the Technician drive team role. A few questions for everyone:
  1. What was the role of the Technician on your team?
  2. How did you select your Technician?
  3. Should the Technician role be a thing in 2019 and beyond?
2016: Tech Valley SF (5236, 2791, 3624), Finger Lakes SF (5254, 2791, 2383), Battlecry Winner (195, 2791, 501), Robot Rumble Winner (2791, 195, 6463)

2012-2015, Student, FRC 1257 - Parallel Universe
2015: Mount Olive QF (1257, 1923, 1811) , North Brunswick Finalist (11, 193, 1257)
2014: Clifton Winner (1626, 869, 1257), MAR CMP QF (1257, 293, 303)
2012: Mount Olive QF (204, 303, 1257)

2017-present, SLFF - Questionable Decisionmakers
2018: Regular Season Finalist, Championship 3rd Place, Fantasy FIM Finalist
2017: Regular Season Winner, Championship Winner, Fantasy FIM Finalist, IRI Winner

Last edited by Brian Maher : 05-13-2018 at 01:49 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 01:10 AM
Mentor
FRC #4607 (C.I.S.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
Chief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking back on the Technician

1. We used the technician more as person that can handle the robot cart (or Mini-pit as we call it on 4607).

2. The person that we selected was our 5th Drive Team member - a person that filled in when one of our DT members could not be there for various reasons (see Prom at champs). We did not utilize the role effectively as it was an afterthought. Our plan for next year is that this person will be trained in on the areas of programming/troubleshooting/battery expert. The reason that I want this is to allow for a person to just gather information from the match and then be the primary communicator between the Drive Team and the Pit Team. This may mean it is our programming mentor or a very experienced programming student.

3. I am not sure how FIRST expands the role. It would be nice to have real time access to the FMS on the robot cart/Mini-pit - but I am not sure how that would be possible.

I'MN

"Innovation cannot happen in isolation"
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 01:19 AM
AKA: Bryan Rickards
no team (1592 Bionic Tigers / 2338 Gear it Forward)

Rookie Year: 2005
bigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to beholdbigbeezy is a splendid one to behold

Wasn’t a part of a team or drive team this year. But wish we had the technician role a long time ago. I really see zero down sides to it and only positives. Not that I would have changed any of my drive teams but knowing that there would be an additional knowledgeable student on the field would have made life a lot simpler. Plus if nothing else given a top ranking student the ability to be down at field level.
Winner - Colorado Regional 2008
Florida State University - BS Mechanical Engineering
Team 2338 Gear it Forward -- Mentor/Drive Coach 2013-2017
Winner - Wisconsin Regional 2013
Finalist - Midwest Regional 2014, 2015, 2016
Winner - Archimedes Sub-Division 2015
Chairman's Award - Midwest Regional 2015, 2016, 2017
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 01:41 AM
No longer old enough to volunteer
AKA: Jared Hasen-Klein
no team (Volunteer, 1836 Alum, and extreme instigator)

Rookie Year: 2009
jaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond repute

Overall, I like the role. The technician was beneficial in two ways:
  1. Our technician would probably have been Human Player if there was no technician role. Nothing against him, but there is nothing that actually qualifies him to be our human player - it just would have been to have a good troubleshooter on the field.
  2. We could allow more people to be on drive team this way. Since this was one of the easier years (at least physically) for the HPs, we could have a new student that wants to see if Drive Team is for them try it out.

―――
TEAM 1836: THE MILKENKNIGHTS (Class of 2018)
FB // Twitter // Insta // Snap // GitHub // TBA // Web

FREE ROBOTICS RESOURCES Click here
Admin of: FIRST ROBOTICS NETWORK ON FACEBOOK Click here//How to: FIRST DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION Click here
―――
"I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary." -Billy Joel
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 07:09 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Our technician was also our put lead. By being close to the action and involved with the drive team discussions as soon as the match ended, she was better able to create a plan to address issues with the robot. Minutes can count, and having the ability to text those needed in the pit even before the robot is taken off the field helps!
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 07:30 AM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

1. Pretty light this year, as our drivers were also the programmers. Other years, we nerfed the second driver position to fill this, or could have used a big person to help with robot placement/removal.
  2. I wasn't part of this decision, other than to suggest that we skip having one at all.
  3. Yes. One improvement would be to clarify the location where the technicians are during the match. This year, our technician would have been an on-field scouts if we had known the layout early in the season. I understand that in some places, the technicians sat with the judges, and in others, they could not see the field as well as from the stands.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 08:44 AM
Roboter
AKA: Mark Lavrentyev
FRC #4557 (FullMetal Falcons)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2015
Hitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond repute

We used the technician as a programmer to watch for what happened (particularly in auto) so as to know what went wrong and what we need to fix right after the match.

In that sense, I really liked the technician role, and hope it comes back next year. I do want to see standardized seating for technicians at all events, though, so teams know what to expect (and I hope they put this seating on the ends of the judges' seats).

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 10:18 AM
FRC #2502

Whatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond repute

We rotated between two technicians. One was a pit crew member who could troubleshoot electrical issues. The other was our draft person.

From a draft standpoint it really helped having the person that was going to go down spend time on the field yet still have the freedom to spend time in the stands with the scout team.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 10:25 AM
AKA: Alan
FRC #0830 (The RatPack)

Rookie Year: 1188
alst is a jewel in the roughalst is a jewel in the roughalst is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Hedgehog View Post
3. I am not sure how FIRST expands the role. It would be nice to have real time access to the FMS on the robot cart/Mini-pit - but I am not sure how that would be possible.
This is pretty vague - what exactly do you want access to? Field logs are about the only useful thing I can think of, and DS logs tend to be more detailed.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 02:37 PM
FRC #0340
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2014
rpappa is a jewel in the roughrpappa is a jewel in the roughrpappa is a jewel in the rough

Ideally, drive team (behind the glass) is not your main technical students. Ideally, you have a well-versed technical student out on the field. The technician bridges this gap perfectly. For our team, it was a critical person to have on the field, running pre-match checks (don't think we ever went out with a broken robot) or in the worst cases fixing urgent issues. It was critical for reducing the responsibilities of drive team in a good way.

I think the technician role is 100% necessary the "no dead robots on the field" future we all want: simultaneously raising the competitiveness of FRC as a whole by allowing as much technical and non-technical talent to be on the field as possible.

My pathing white paper
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 02:43 PM
WRFA HAZMAT-A LG AWR-160
AKA: Tyler
FRC #5243 (Aegis Robotics)
Team Role: Tactician

rtschroder is on a distinguished road

Seconding the general consensus, it's great to have a dedicated crew member to specifically focus on the robot operational status. I would like to see a designated area with a better field view, I would often be stuck off to the side with the cart, which made watching auto et al sometimes difficult based on the field setup.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 03:02 PM
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Kortsy is on a distinguished road

Our technician was the head programmer on our team. So as you can imagine most of his roles revolved around the drive station and autonomous period. Every match our driver and co-driver would bring the robot onto the field, our coach would align the robot, our human-player would put the cart off to the side, and our technician would set the driver station up and make sure everything was set correctly for autonomous. I think that technician should absolutely be brought back in 2019 and beyond because it allows for one more specially trained student to be on the field in the rare instance that something were to go wrong or if something needed to be dealt with.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 03:20 PM
FTAA, Webmaster, and such
AKA: Fletcher
FRC #0100 (WildHats)

FletcherS7 will become famous soon enough

I said this in the other Technician thread.

To give an FTAA's point of view. The Technician is extremely helpful to us when the position is filled by a student who is knowledgeable about the robot and the Driver Station. This is part of the reason the role was created, to assist in connecting the robot to the field.

I really hope FIRST continues to have the Technician role.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 06:15 PM
FRC #5407 (Wolf Pack Robotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2015
5407Jaiden is an unknown quantity at this point

Our technician was a first-year member of our team that was really good with his hands. Also, because we are a small team everyone on the drive team (minus myself), was capable of fixing the robot in almost any situation.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2018, 06:51 PM
ytho

I was the technician this year for our team (5190). I was one of the programmers on the team and I constantly monitored the auto during the matches. This allowed me to look at outtake speeds to make sure cubes didn't bounce, see how the robot followed paths on the carpet so I could make minor adjustments, etc. to ensure maximum efficiency. I also helped with lining up the robot (I helped make the paths, so I knew exactly where to line up the robot).

One thing I would like changed is where the technicians stand. At some of our events, technicians stood behind two rows of teams who were in queue. This made it hard to observe auto and other things that went wrong. For next year, I would suggest a better area for technicians to stand and observe robots.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: