OCCRA
Go to Post Build season is the best time of the year. Better than Christmas because the presents are cooler, and better than new years cause you get to stay up later. - burkey_turkey [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 06:19 AM
my opinions are my own
AKA: Aaron F.
FRC #3863 (Pantherbotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2016
NerdRage will become famous soon enough
pic: Flat 4x 775pro Gearbox

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 06:32 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Flat 4x 775pro Gearbox

Why are you cantelievering the small cluster gears instead of putting the second bearing in the front plate and having the clusters shafts pass straight through the middle plate?

Also, how would the weight change if you pass the output shaft all the way through, pocketed the back plate so the bearing flange sits flush with the outside of the plate (to not interfere with the motors), then got rid of the middle plate? I feel like that would make it even lighter with minimal performance impact if it works geometrically.
2012-2016: Member FRC 423 Captian, Programmer (LabVIEW), Electrical, CAD, Manipulator, Chassis, Business, Outreach (everything)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 06:48 AM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
Why are you cantelievering the small cluster gears instead of putting the second bearing in the front plate and having the clusters shafts pass straight through the middle plate?

Also, how would the weight change if you pass the output shaft all the way through, pocketed the back plate so the bearing flange sits flush with the outside of the plate (to not interfere with the motors), then got rid of the middle plate? I feel like that would make it even lighter with minimal performance impact if it works geometrically.
Agreed on both - and if you ditched the middle plate and keyed/hexed the output shaft the whole length between the bearings, you could reverse the shaft to a flipped configuration with the same pieces.

The render doesn't show, so let me ask - did you cut some vents in the motor plate to vent the motors?

What's keeping the cluster and output shafts from sliding out?

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 12-06-2017 at 06:51 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 07:18 AM
\_(ツ)_/
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #3929 (Atomic Dragons); fmr. FRC #228 (GUS) & FRC #2791 (Shaker)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing the weird output and middle plate are a consequence of trying to keep all 4 775Pros in a horizonal line with each other, which also necessitates two cluster gears.

I don't think that tradeoff is worth it - you could get a bigger 32DP center gear to use all 4 motors around a single cluster gear, and then run the output shaft either forwards or backwards at your convenience, with just two plates.
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Regional Finalists (with 20, 3182), 2012 BAE Finalists (with 1519, 885)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 07:27 AM
That Guy
AKA: Phil
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
Cyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
On top of both of these things, is there any reason you didn't put all 4 motors on one driven pinion? There should be plenty of room to cluster the 775s in a square pattern to all drive one pinion on one side rather than one on each. This should save weight and space, but it would also not have a linear layout like you have, so if the thin/wide form factor is what you were going for then just ignore the question.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 07:35 AM
FRC #1640

Rookie Year: 2001
Gdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond repute

Encoder?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 08:55 AM
Robotics Engineer
AKA: FUN-FiM Region Recap Host
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)

Rookie Year: 2007
Nick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond reputeNick_Coussens has a reputation beyond repute

Running all 4 motors on one cluster gear will result in that cluster gear seeing more wear. This is something we noticed last year on 2451 with a 4x 775pro gearbox. With the correct material used for the cluster, it will be fine but splitting it to two cluster gears is not the worst idea, and to get the height profile the OP was looking for it makes perfect sense.

But I mean it doesn't matter because all 775pro DTs are crap and anyone who does one is/should feel bad.

FRC/VEX 2451: PWNAGE, Lead Strategy/Scouting Mentor (2013-2017)
FRC/VEX 2451: PWNAGE, Team President/Driver/Student (2009-2012)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Registered Muser
FRC #4462 (Full Metal Jackets)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2013
Cothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Aaron, this looks good.

I definitely agree with the comments about removing the middle plate. I think you could get rid of that without too much finagling. You could also probably make it a flipped motor gearbox, but I'm not sure it'd really benefit you. The speed is a little zippy for my tastes, but it's not a huge deal and speeds are game dependent anyway, so who knows. I do think you need to put a little more thought into how you'll mount this to the tube. I love using hex head bolts, but I doubt you'll want to cut clearance holes for them in your tube. Also, might wanna add in however you're venting the motors now to sort out any problems early.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 10:05 AM
Purdue University
AKA: Spencer Tickman
FRC #1747 (Harrison Boiler Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2009
tickspe15 has a brilliant futuretickspe15 has a brilliant futuretickspe15 has a brilliant futuretickspe15 has a brilliant futuretickspe15 has a brilliant futuretickspe15 has a brilliant futuretickspe15 has a brilliant futuretickspe15 has a brilliant futuretickspe15 has a brilliant futuretickspe15 has a brilliant futuretickspe15 has a brilliant future

How did you calculate the adjusted speed? I've assumed 70% voltage when calculating adjusted speeds for 775 gearboxes. 70% is a conservative limit based on testing by my teams and others.

TLDR; using the standard 81% efficiency number isn't very useful if you won't be running the motors at full power

Last edited by tickspe15 : 12-06-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Updated to fix error identified by Adam
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 10:19 AM
my opinions are my own
AKA: Aaron F.
FRC #3863 (Pantherbotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2016
NerdRage will become famous soon enough

Yeah, so in general I just wanted to make a flat 775pro gearbox that could serve as a drivetrain gearbox. With regards to the middle plate, when I look at it now I can see that it would be pretty easy to take it out. That's what you get for CADing at night I guess.

In any case, thanks for all the feedback! Some thing I just forgot to add, like the 775 vent holes, but I'll need to rethink some other things.
Ventura Regional - 2017
Orange County Regional - 2017

Will Compete in:
LA Regional - 2018
Ventura Regional - 2018
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Robotics Engineer
FRC #0319 (Big Bad Bob)

Rookie Year: 2004
Ty Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Coussens View Post
Running all 4 motors on one cluster gear will result in that cluster gear seeing more wear. This is something we noticed last year on 2451 with a 4x 775pro gearbox. With the correct material used for the cluster, it will be fine but splitting it to two cluster gears is not the worst idea, and to get the height profile the OP was looking for it makes perfect sense.
It's also worth noting that the 2451 cluster gear had a very small face width. The COTS 32DP gears available from WCP and AM have much wider teeth, reducing stress on each tooth.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickspe15 View Post
How did you calculate the adjusted speed? I've assumed 70% power when calculating adjusted speeds for 775 gearboxes. 70% is a conservative voltage limit based on testing by my teams and others.

TLDR; using the standard 81% efficiency number isn't very useful if you won't be running the motors at full power
70% power != 70% voltage.

70% voltage = 49% power.

70% power = 83.7% voltage.

Quote:
But I mean it doesn't matter because all 775pro DTs are crap and anyone who does one is/should feel bad.
Literally no one credible has made this point.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.
Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Last edited by AdamHeard : 12-06-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: