Originally Posted by granjef3
Iím afraid its quite simple. Every method more complex then a simple 80% max output cutoff has not been successful for us!
We use the talonSRX output limit function, which limits max voltage to 80% of robot voltage. Nothing else used, no motor speed adjustments or current limiting. Our gearboxes are geared for 17fps free speed, so with this limit it ends up being around 14fps. Motors end a match warm to touch.
Iíve considered setting up the limit to raise after some time spent accelerating, but with our current gear ratio you donít get much more usable top speed on an FRC field.
Weíve tried the current limiting feature as well, but as each side operates independently you get fun behavior if one side limits before the other (violent sudden turns)
We've used a speed-based limiting technique on CIM motors in 2016 & 2018 with great success at pushing them hard without brownout. There are some caveots we found this year, which will hopefully be better defined by an offseason project...