Go to Post That's awesome. I sort of like the smaller venues. You get to know teams on a lot more personal level. - thisOrrthat [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming > Java
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 07:56 PM
FRC #6922

airbornehurdle is an unknown quantity at this point
How hard is it to program a swerve drive train in arcade drive?

Hello,

I'm from a rookie team (that is actually getting out of rookie status next season) and I'm the programmer lead for my team. My team was thinking of doing swerve drive train instead of slide drive train. As a newbie in Java, I was thinking that putting arcade drive on a swerve drive train must be hard. I was wondering for veteran programmers out there, how hard is it to do arcade drive for a swerve drive train?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 10:57 PM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is it to program a swerve drive train in arcade drive?

Arcade drive only gives you two degrees of input, whereas swerve (or even holonomic) gives you three degrees of freedom of overall robot motion. That is, you can translate in two directions, and rotate around a vertical axis. Doing two-axis arcade drive will leave one of these (or some composite degree of freedom) out of reach.

On the small-scale (about 1/3 FRC scale) swerve I played with a few years ago, I drove it with a three-axis joystick. Joystick position corresponded to translation, and twisting the joystick corresponded to rotation speed. Getting the swerve part right was MUCH harder than mapping the controls to the desired motion.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 11:19 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

I would take a long time learning how to properly create PID loops and tune them for a lot of different situations before attempting a swerve drive. Once you understand the concepts involved on an intrinsic level swerve becomes a lot easier.
Swerve isn't hard- if you know exactly what you're doing going in.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880)
2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 07:57 AM
#swerve
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
I would take a long time learning how to properly create PID loops and tune them for a lot of different situations before attempting a swerve drive. Once you understand the concepts involved on an intrinsic level swerve becomes a lot easier.
Swerve isn't hard- if you know exactly what you're doing going in.
And you don't flip the coordinate systems between your wheel modules and your gyro...

Really for me that was the hard part - keeping track of all the moving parts and their directions then keeping that in sync with the math.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 10:20 AM
AKA: Eli Barnett
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)

Rookie Year: 2008
Oblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
And you don't flip the coordinate systems between your wheel modules and your gyro...

Really for me that was the hard part - keeping track of all the moving parts and their directions then keeping that in sync with the math.
This becomes a lot easier if you structure your code in a reasonable way.

Member, FRC Team 449: 2007-2010
Drive Mechanics Lead, FRC Team 449: 2009-2010
Alumnus/Technical Mentor, FRC Team 449: 2010-Present
Lead Technical Mentor, FRC Team 4464: 2012-2015
Technical Mentor, FRC Team 5830: 2015-2016

FRC Drivetrain Characterization
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 10:24 AM
#swerve
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblarg View Post
This becomes a lot easier if you structure your code in a reasonable way.
It's also a lot easier if you have physical access to the robot and as such have an accurate mental model of the system (Which I didn't have). Hard to catch bugs with a test suite if your test suite is out of sync to the physical model.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Flywheel Police
AKA: Matthew Lythgoe
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2009
notmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
It's also a lot easier if you have physical access to the robot and as such have an accurate mental model of the system (Which I didn't have). Hard to catch bugs with a test suite if your test suite is out of sync to the physical model.
Why are you testing your robots in sinks? Don't you risk water damage?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: