OCCRA
Go to Post A lot of people forget this when posting, but your posts here on ChiefDelphi will more or less be here forever. Do you really want that post you just be made to be on the Internet forever?... Post wisely... - artdutra04 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-06-2017, 12:11 PM
AKA: Ryan Blue
FRC #1018 (Pike RoboDevils)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
firecrafty will become famous soon enoughfirecrafty will become famous soon enough
[FRC Blog] The Backfire Effect

Posted on the FRC Blog, 10/6/2017: https://www.firstinspires.org/roboti...ackfire-effect
Quote:
The Backfire Effect
Written by Frank Merrick

I learned something interesting this week.

Wikipedia has an entry on ‘common misconceptions’ which I found interesting. Before I provide the link, I should give you a warning that one of the misconceptions, out of the many listed, is about the etymology of commonly heard, but vulgar, word. If you think seeing this word will bother you, please don’t click. If you are OK with seeing this word, here’s the link.

I had some of these misconceptions.* I think my reaction on learning corrective information on these topics would be typical of most other people; “Oh, interesting.” I’m happy to have learned something that corrected misinformation I had in my head. But these particular facts are not a big part of my worldview. My identity does not hinge on the shelf life of Twinkies.

If on the other hand, someone was to present me with information that contradicted a belief I held that was a core element of my worldview, that was fundamental to how I saw myself and to the lens through which I viewed the world, I’d have a different reaction. I’d likely argue against or dismiss those facts in an effort to stay psychologically whole.

Not only would I argue against the new information but there is strong evidence I, and just about everyone else in the same situation, would double down on the original beliefs. Presented with contradictory information, beliefs often strengthen. This is called the “Backfire Effect.” It’s real, and it has significant implications in our increasingly contentious world. We have difficult decisions to make, as individual nations and as a whole, with long-term consequences, and need to develop consensus around ‘true facts’ if we want to have a hope of moving forward. The Backfire Effect shows us that simply lobbing more facts at someone with a different position on a key topic is not only often a waste of time and energy, but can also actually be counter-productive.

I learned about the Backfire Effect on the You Are Not So Smart podcast. It was a three-parter, episodes 93, 94, and 95. If you are interested in this topic at all, I strongly recommend them. Not only do they go into detail about the Backfire Effect, but they also suggest ways you can avoid it when making an effort to change opinions. Fair warning; each episode is about one hour long. If you are not sure you want to make that kind of commitment, I get it. You can always just listen to the first 15 minutes of the first episode, and if you don’t think the rest will be worth your time, stop listening. You have the power!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Frank

*I recognize that Wikipedia entries are not always accurate. My working assumption, in this case, is that most, but maybe not all, of these misconceptions truly are misconceptions.

"Programming is a science. Writing beautiful code is an art."
Any views I express are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my team.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [FRC Blog] The Backfire Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecrafty View Post
Posted on the FRC Blog, 10/6/2017: https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/frc/blog/the-backfire-effect

I learned about the Backfire Effect on the
You Are Not So Smart podcast. It was a three-parter, episodes 93, 94, and 95. If you are interested in this topic at all, I strongly recommend them. Not only do they go into detail about the Backfire Effect, but they also suggest ways you can avoid it when making an effort to change opinions. Fair warning; each episode is about one hour long. If you are not sure you want to make that kind of commitment, I get it. You can always just listen to the first 15 minutes of the first episode, and if you donít think the rest will be worth your time, stop listening. You have the power!
If you prefer articles over podcasts here's one from The New Yorker where I initially learned about the Backfire Effect. Interesting stuff.

https://www.newyorker.com/science/ma...nt-to-be-right

And if you don't like podcasts or reading, here's a comic about the Backfire Effect.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-06-2017, 12:51 PM
Discerning and exacting individual
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

But muh robots Frank! I didn't come here for a psychology lesson! I came to build robots for less than $4000 in six weeks!
Clarke's Laws
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-06-2017, 01:29 PM
FIRST is inherently political
AKA: Wil "just give me crabcake" Payne
FRC #0422 (The Tex-Mex Drajones)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

I find the director's use of the blog platform for something like this to be nothing short of fascinating and endearing.

With Gracious Professionalism, fierce competition and mutual gain are not separate notions. Gracious professionals learn and compete like crazy, but treat one another with respect and kindness in the process. They avoid treating anyone like losers. No chest thumping tough talk, but no sticky-sweet platitudes either. Knowledge, competition, and empathy are comfortably blended.

In the long run, Gracious Professionalism is part of pursuing a meaningful life. One can add to society and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing one has acted with integrity and sensitivity.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-06-2017, 01:33 PM
That Guy
AKA: Phil
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
Cyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
If you prefer articles over podcasts here's one from The New Yorker where I initially learned about the Backfire Effect. Interesting stuff.

https://www.newyorker.com/science/ma...nt-to-be-right

And if you don't like podcasts or reading, here's a comic about the Backfire Effect.

Thanks for the further readings Karthik, great follow ups to the podcast.

For those who don't know about this podcast, it is really insightful. A typical episode introduces some topic, usually in psychology, and then delves further into it (then he eats a cookie). Lots of really mind opening and sometimes very esoteric discussions, but interesting nonetheless.

I am curious about why this was posted to the blog though. Was it directed at anything in particular, or was it just to think about how polarizing some discussions become. Interesting post for sure.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-06-2017, 02:05 PM
GA w/ a voice made for silent films
AKA: Entitled volunteer - do not hire
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics) #299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberphil View Post
I am curious about why this was posted to the blog though. Was it directed at anything in particular, or was it just to think about how polarizing some discussions become. Interesting post for sure.
I believe it is useful information that most anyone can benefit from. I like these non-robot-related blog posts - I hope Frank does more of them. He's sharing a bit of his personal life with the community, and I appreciate the openness of it. These kinds of blogs read more like a friend sharing something interesting they found than a director conveying information. I find it rather enjoyable.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-06-2017, 04:08 PM
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberphil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merrick
We have difficult decisions to make, as individual nations and as a whole, with long-term consequences, and need to develop consensus around ‘true facts’ if we want to have a hope of moving forward."
It is with regard to society, not some specific matter. In the quote above, it seems to relay the importance of fact-based discussions, without regards to any particular groups or political persuasions.

Woodie talked at Rocket City about straying from facts in public discourse and how he views STEM education as important to keeping us grounded in reality. Which is how the sentiments and lesson in the blog fit into FIRST. His talk was, as always, interesting -- I linked the video starting after he put his papers down: https://youtu.be/yHqrCyakj0M?t=3m2s
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-06-2017, 04:49 PM
Software + Drive Coach
AKA: Sam Maier
FRC #4917 (Sir Lancerbot)

Rookie Year: 2014
microbuns is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it bad that the first time I read this blog I was looking for 2018 game hints?
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Will join FRC team for food.
AKA: Warren Bartlett
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
TheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbuns View Post
Is it bad that the first time I read this blog I was looking for 2018 game hints?
How do you know there aren't any in this post?

My opinions and statements I make are my own and are not reflective of what any of my former teams believe or think.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-07-2017, 09:18 AM
FRC #3244 (Granite City Gearheads)

cpapplefamily is a jewel in the roughcpapplefamily is a jewel in the roughcpapplefamily is a jewel in the rough

You may believe each round your winning but the points will flip when a team Powers Up and your winning strategy will Back fire.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-07-2017, 10:26 AM
FRC #0011 (MORT - Team 11)

Rookie Year: 1997
techhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond repute

I could see a game designed like this.

Where balance of the game mechanics is more important than being the best at specific elements.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-07-2017, 01:43 PM
AKA: Alex Tannahill
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
ATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting topic. I am unsure why we are being told of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post

That comic was a lot of reading for an option offered for those not into reading.

- Arizona North
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-07-2017, 02:11 PM
FIRST is inherently political
AKA: Wil "just give me crabcake" Payne
FRC #0422 (The Tex-Mex Drajones)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATannahill View Post
This is an interesting topic. I am unsure why we are being told of it.
That comic was a lot of reading for an option offered for those not into reading.
There are a lot of good reasons. It's an important life lesson/reality and also one that has tangential relevance to some of the discussions we've had on the boards recently. I don't know if it has any sort of direct relevance on the upcoming challenge for 2018, but that doesn't really matter here.

With Gracious Professionalism, fierce competition and mutual gain are not separate notions. Gracious professionals learn and compete like crazy, but treat one another with respect and kindness in the process. They avoid treating anyone like losers. No chest thumping tough talk, but no sticky-sweet platitudes either. Knowledge, competition, and empathy are comfortably blended.

In the long run, Gracious Professionalism is part of pursuing a meaningful life. One can add to society and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing one has acted with integrity and sensitivity.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-07-2017, 08:08 PM
FRC #1817 (Llano Estacado RoboRaiders)

Brian Michell is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbuns View Post
It's Frank telling us that there will not be a water game this year. Why do you do this to us, Frank?

*Any views I express are my own and do not reflect those of any organization I am currently or formerly associated with unless stated.
2015-Programming, Drive Coach (Worlds)
2016-Programming, Drive Coach
2017-Programming, Drive Mentor
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2017, 04:53 AM
Engineering Program Management
VRC #8081 (STEMRobotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Foster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATannahill View Post
It was, but the hardest part about reading something is getting started. The article is blocks of text, a non starter for lots of people. But the comic starts off with pictures and few words, then once you are hooked, uses more words.

If your audience is visual, the comic works, it gets them engaged at the start. If your audience is engaged they will put up with some extra work, no engagement, no work.

First thing about Presentation Club is we don't talk about Presenting. We talk about the bait. The second rule of Presentation Club is we never talk about the hook that's buried in the bait. Hey Foster, read this boring block of text vs Hey Foster, read this pretty fun comic. If you get past the first few panels, you are hooked, and we can move you up along the stream and get you into the net.

Ever wondered why YouTube videos are so popular for science stuff? Hey Foster, need you to read 100 pages on gears. Hey Foster, need you to watch an hour of TV. Reading is boring, TV isn't reading so it's fun.

One of my kids was a terrible book reader. But they tore through comics like paper came from trees. So you use comics.

Today's pro tip is Present Info to people the way they want to see it. May be text in an email, may be text in IM, may be comics, videos, or even hand puppets.

Back to the topic, not sure why Frank posted this. I'm going to guess that this year's game has some video game crossover connection. And the thing that frosts my flakes is I'm building robots in the real world, why do I want to mess around with video games. So I'm thinking he's planting the seed about Backfire to get some of us to not just spin and go "stupid video game".

But in any case, I'm nibbling at the bait, wondering if there is a hook....
Downingtown Area Robotics Web site and VEXMen Team Site come see what we can do for you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: