Go to Post I for one think this kind of robot "love" is absolutely inappropriate for children and both teams should have been condemned for such graphic displays. - Chris is me [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 10:26 PM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sad Day for Seniors

I too have ended my three years of driving. My last match was a horrible one in the quarterfinals in which we lost, we were supposed to play the next one too but our "partners" wouldn't let us. They flipped, and our alliance lost. Not exactly how I wanted to end it. At least I was able to do some kick@$$ driving that made us finalists in Phoenix. I just wished LA could have ended just as well. Today I picked up and skimmed through an RC car magazine, something I haven't done for years. I guess I'll just have to get back into that, or something. Reading this thread made me even more sad. I don't really know what to do. I can accept the fact (although it's hard) that I can never drive anymore but I can't accept the fact that I'll be watching from the stands instead of from behind the glass. Our field coach is graduating too and going far away so maybe I can take his place.

Anyway, I've gone to designing a transmission for next year so at least some of me will be with the robot. If I can spend enough time, I'll build it. If not, I'll give the kids a full set of plans. The good part about this is that I can make some parts of the design go into "uncharted waters" so a lot of drive testing will be needed by the designer before anyone else can drive.

Anyway, I'm really bummed so is anyone up for building something even better to drive? My summer looks free.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 10:33 PM
AKA: Adam
#0086 (Team Resistance)
Team Role: Programmer

Cheese Head is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cheese Head

I feels weird after getting back home, that this will be me last year officially with team 86. Luckily I'll make sure to join team 401 at Virginia Tech, and I'll always be ready to help out my old team.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
My Other Car is a 500 HP Turbine
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1942
Chris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

Sad day for Seniors - but the great part is that there is someone waiting in the wings to fill the void you are creating when you leave.

Many of you have made awesome contributions to your teams (Jason, Adrienne and Collin, to name the three from Cyber Blue), but now it is time to make room for the others to take the leadership roles.

Good luck to all graduating Seniors - you are undoubtedly better people from your participation in FIRST.
2018 IndyRAGE Planning Committee
2010 - Woodie Flowers Award - Championship
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Reslife/FIRST/Disneyland Junkie
None #1212 (The Holy Hamsters)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
jpsaul7usa is just really nicejpsaul7usa is just really nicejpsaul7usa is just really nicejpsaul7usa is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to jpsaul7usa
Thumbs up Re: Sad Day for Seniors

To all you FIRST seniors who are graduating:

Welcome to your freshman year of Mentorship!

My senior year of HS was my team's first year, and I didn't even realize at the end of our regional that I was no longer a team member. Being a mentor hasn't changed my role much in the team. I haven't been around much because I go to school 150 miles away from my team but when I come down I help out in whatever way I can, and cheering/doing recon for the team at events is just as fun as driving to me and a whole lot less stressful than pitwork. Being a mentor is a lot of fun. Enjoy!
2004 AZ Regional Leadership in Control Award, AZ Regional Champion (Woohoo! Thanks 330 and 585!!!), Newton 23rd Seed
2005 AZ Regional Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award, AZ Regional Finalist (Thanks 991 and 987!!!)

The Holy Hamster Motto: It's only temporary... unless it works.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 12:28 AM
thinks Allison Babcock & 1747 ROCK!
AKA: goosefrom71
FRC #1747 (Harrison Boiler Robotics/ Team Hammond)

Rookie Year: 2002
Elyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Elyse Holguin

I've had to decline my Drexel/FIRST scholarship due to financial reasons, but in doing so, I've committed myself to Purdue University, where I will mentor 461 for as long as they want me to. My team still has IRI as long as we go, which we should, and after that I suppose I take the leap into 71 alumni-dom after an awesome 3 active years on the team (didn't know when to sign up in 9th grade).

FIRST has helped me grow in so many ways, and has to have been the best activity I could have gotten into during my high school years. The impression FIRST has made on me is so strong, I'm going to need a 12-step program eventually.
Rookie All-Star- Boilermaker- 2006
Technokats' Spirit of Indiana Award- IRI- 2006
Congrats to Allison Babcock- WFA St. Louis Regional!!

Former Member of Team Hammond 71: 2002-2004 +2001 CDI
Former Mentor for Team 1747: 2006
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 12:36 AM
D.J. Fluck

It is a tough day for seniors, I know how it feels and I tell you that it sucks. FIRST was the best part of High School, but im liking the whole transition from student to mentor. Its a new challenge...more responsibility, more leadership, and higher expectations. Now that HS is over, your FIRST career is just getting started (as some have said)

So im going to leave you with a rough quote (that im guessing how this went, but you should get the point of this) on starting a new team (if this applies to you) from my friend, Amanda Morrison (amanda dont butcher me for getting this wrong).

"Starting a new team is a huge responsibility and it takes a lot of time, even though Dean wants you to do it, don't sacrifice your education to start a team if you aren't up to it."

...or something close to that....but you get the point

I tell you that college is a busy place...I wish all graduating seniors best of luck in the future and I hope to see all of you participating in FIRST for years to come.

D.J.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 12:37 AM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer & Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
FRC #3314 (Mechanical Mustangs)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future

I share my feelings with all of you. It is very hard to go from FIRST status student to FIRST status Mentor. Your so used to driving or shooting pt. balls and now you become the one to teach the driving and shooting pt. balls / bins for that matter. ---- I should know i'm still going through it all. and i've not been on a team since 2002. and been an alumni since then.

I was only apart of a FIRST team for about a year in a half and I played many roles for that team ( Captain, Back-Up Arm Pilot, Sponsorship Leader, Assistant Spokesperson, Assistant Mechanic and possibly one or two more roles ).

I realized I was going to be graduating when the coaches reminded me in may 2002 at PARC that I would have to select a new captain to take on my responsiblities. And theirs nothing harder then to select a successor to fill in and improve what you have done.

The good side to all of this is you can still be a Mentor of that team, you can Mentor other teams and spread what you have learned sorta like " Passing the camcorder around so that the next Chairmans Award Winner is selected ", your team will always welcome your presence anywhere they may be, they consider you the school and team alumni (which is automatically) and you could be considered their best MVP Player.

*starts rant here :\ )
Thats why it so imperitive that kids join during their freshman year that way they can have a full 4yrs of FIRST and not be barred by classroom achievements (e.g. must sustain a 75% grade average to remain on the team). Some schools choose to make this a curiculum others choose it to be an after school activity. This is a Organization that the only requirement needed to be met should be the talent that you contain and can share with fellow members and not have to worry about a grade average. Having a grade average can either strive students to work harder or scare them away knowing they can't sustain it.
*end rant here :\ )

For the FIRST Graduating class of 2004 - Congradulations in not only making your team the best to participate on, but by also proving to your teachers that though you may not do your HW in class you still manage to make time to do Deans HW. :-) (This may not make sense but oh well )

Who knows - maybe all of the alumnis and their corresponding schools will adopt a rookie and at least complete Deans easier assignment hehe!
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'15 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'15 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'15
2015 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2015 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg. & Championships
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.

Last edited by mtaman02 : 04-19-2004 at 12:43 AM.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2004, 12:49 AM
The Owen Day of Seattle
AKA: Jim Wright
FRC #4542 (Titanium Talons)

JimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to behold

I understand all of you being sad. You feel team pride and pride in your fellow students. Some of you have mentored Lego League Teams and know what it's like to feel pride in what the people your mentoring create. I've not yet mentored a Lego team, however being a mentor of team 949 for the last two years, has been some of my proudest time I've spent.

I've been on quite a few teams in my profesional life and I'm very proud at some of the things those team have accomplished. However there is something I can't quite put my finger on in being a FIRST mentor.

The teams your about to be a part of, both professionaly as well as a college student, will do amazing things that help people. At least that is the hope of me for my students and the hope of your Mentors for your. This is why we Mentor.

It is my hope that all of you learn this as well.

-Jim Wright
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 06:54 PM
"Rican"
#0384 (Tucker Tigers!)
Team Role: Student

RLopez is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RLopez Send a message via Yahoo to RLopez

I know how all of you guys feel, i am not a Senior.. but this was my second year on the team and i learned so much from the Seniors this year bc i spent to years with them on the team.. our team was holding a little meeting in the hallway about the seniors and saying that this was their last competition/etc and the Pit Chief (who is a senior this year) had to give his job down and give it to another person for the team next year.. it was really sad for me because since i spent two years with them, i kind of grew very attached to them and i looked up to all of the guys like big brothers to me..luckily i think all of the seniors this year are considering mentoring next year so i can see them during another season and hang out with them next season..
Regional Alliance Winners with 388 and 395
Cheaspeake Regional:
Regional Alliance Winners with 306 and 134
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Wake Up Get Up Get Out There
no team

Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

NOOOOO FIRST! YOU CAN'T TAKE ME AWAY!!! *CRIES* NOOOOOOO!!!!

Well, now I'm really sad. Watching Woody, Shalen, and everyone leave our team has been hard to the nth degree. I'm dreading the day next year when I have to leave. I can't leave. Aw man, I think I'm going to go and cry latter tonight.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:15 PM
not on CD enough...
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
OneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of light

I'm rather curious as to where all of the seniors will be going/what they will be doing after high school- did anyone start a thread about this yet?

yes, i am admittedly too lazy to do a search. (senioritis.)
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:39 PM
is getting lost in her new home
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta), #1504 (alum), #67 (alum)

Beth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my gosh, I was just thinking the same thing! But I'm already hard at work getting things together to start up a team at Michigan State University. I've sent out my email to the Eng Dean and will hopefully soon be recieving one back ::fingers crossed:: FIRST is like Starbucks coffee, it's addicting and you just can't seem to get away from it...
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 08:20 PM
#OMGSuffShakedown Scorekeeper
FRC #2062 (CORE Robotics)

Steve Horn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAngryDaisy
I'm rather curious as to where all of the seniors will be going/what they will be doing after high school- did anyone start a thread about this yet?
yes, i am admittedly too lazy to do a search. (senioritis.)
Yes there is a thread about this in the chit-chat forum which would answer your question.

But getting back to what this thread is about...
Saturday of nationals was a sad day for me. I realized when my team got knocked out of the quarterfinals, that my senior year of FIRST and my driving carrear were both over. I will be going to WPI next year, however, so I will be able to work with a team for another four years.

#29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 08:20 PM
AKA: Aaron Bradshaw
#0900 (Team Infinity)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
aaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to aaronbr28040

Even though it was my first year this year I put as much time as anyone into the robot. Its not going to be as bad for me as for some since I am just moving 30 minutes away to attend NC State. I've already warned them that they would have to put up with me. Its hard to grasp the thought of being a mentor. I know that I looked up to our mentors and I dont feel that I could ever reach the greatness that I viewed them with. There will be one other team member headed over to NC State with me next year as well plus we already have one mentor there so it wont be that bad. I'm still spending a lot of time in the lab even though season is over.........what else am I going to do with my time?
I never imagined that anything could transform my life in the way FIRST has. The experience is something that is priceless, and you only get to live it as a student for at most two years here at our school (2 year statewide residential magnet school for Juniors and Seniors). Being my last season it makes me want to push harder and harder to get others to join and live the experience.
ok i've rambled enough...........
-Aaron
AIM:aaronbr28040

#30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Mmmm Hot Sauce
#0134 (Team Discovery)
Team Role: Operator

JakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant futureJakeGallagher has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to JakeGallagher Send a message via AIM to JakeGallagher Send a message via MSN to JakeGallagher Send a message via Yahoo to JakeGallagher

I'm not a senior, but I'm close. I think it hit me while I was on a pizza run one day, I just said to myself: Wow. I have like a year til I'm out of school, and maybe even FIRST too.
It's really big, going from 12 years of structured schooling to college, the service, or a full time job...I don't know how I'm gonna manage >.<

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: