OCCRA
Go to Post Truly listening to the wealth of advice around you is so important. Don't work in a vacuum all season long. - OZ_341 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2017, 12:32 AM
AKA: Y@ (say it out loud)
FRC #4468 (LINKS)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2016
Enthurzan is an unknown quantity at this point
Dual Input Gearbox with Talon SRX Question

Hi, my team is building a flywheel that is run by a dual input VP gearbox with two 775s. We are using the VP integrated encoder, so we know we need to use at least one Talon SRX motor controller (for the data cable), but I was wondering, does the second motor in that system also need to use an SRX since it uses CAN vs PWM, or can I control one motor with an SRX via CAN and the other one with PWM with the regular SP?

Thanks,
W
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2017, 12:57 AM
AKA: Aaron J
FRC #3238 (Cyborg Ferrets)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2014
soundfx will become famous soon enough
Re: Dual Input Gearbox with Talon SRX Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthurzan View Post
Hi, my team is building a flywheel that is run by a dual input VP gearbox with two 775s. We are using the VP integrated encoder, so we know we need to use at least one Talon SRX motor controller (for the data cable), but I was wondering, does the second motor in that system also need to use an SRX since it uses CAN vs PWM, or can I control one motor with an SRX via CAN and the other one with PWM with the regular SP?

Thanks,
W
While this would probably be technically possible for basic voltage control, I think you'll be better off using Talon SRXs for both motors, especially for PID mode. The Talon SRX API and firmware has the ability to set a talon to follower mode and perfectly mirror the other motor, which makes it trivial to use two motors for one gearbox even with the built in PID mode. Otherwise, keeping the two motor controllers in sync would have to rely on software on the roboRio, which would remove the high refresh rate advantage of the onboard PID of the Talon SRX.

"I got 99 problems but 0.999 ain't 1."
~Orteil
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2017, 07:31 AM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dual Input Gearbox with Talon SRX Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundfx View Post
While this would probably be technically possible for basic voltage control, I think you'll be better off using Talon SRXs for both motors, especially for PID mode. The Talon SRX API and firmware has the ability to set a talon to follower mode and perfectly mirror the other motor, which makes it trivial to use two motors for one gearbox even with the built in PID mode. Otherwise, keeping the two motor controllers in sync would have to rely on software on the roboRio, which would remove the high refresh rate advantage of the onboard PID of the Talon SRX.
+1. That's what we did this year, and why.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: