Go to Post Sometimes when complaining poverty, we don't recognize the riches we have. - GaryVoshol [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Robotics Education and Curriculum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2016, 01:04 PM
FRC #2485 (W.A.R. Lords)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
Liam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Training Plan

One way that we've found successful is having our student leaders teach small courses on their areas of expertise. It lets them pass on what they're passionate about and lets the rookies get to know the upperclassmen.

#17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2016, 08:34 AM
AKA: Allison Kneisler
FRC #3538 (Avondale RoboJackets)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Allison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond repute

I've attached an updated version of the outline I posted last spring, and a shared folder with a few different file formats is accessible here. Not sure it's worthy of its own thread, so I'm reviving this one for context.

Most of the changes are minor. The review of academic concepts got moved into the first unit, a section on engineering fundamentals was added to the start of the engineering unit, and a few lessons were slightly shuffled or renamed.

53 days of training left in preseason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RJ3538 Outline Snapshot 16-11-14 (vertical).png
Views:	105
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	21263  
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2016, 09:10 AM
FRC #2781 (RoboPride)

Rookie Year: 2013
mastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to behold

Allison, is this a class given in school or after school? How often do you meet? I love how extensive this is. My team has a hard time covering even a tenth of this material.

Thanks so much for the resources!
2016: IotaBot - MWR/16th place/QF, R2OC/7th Alliance Captain/QF, Boiler Bot Battle/6th place/Finalist
2017: KappaBot - MWR/23rd place/no PO, CMPMO/Curie/48th place/no PO

#19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2016, 09:56 AM

Allison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastachyra View Post
Allison, is this a class given in school or after school? How often do you meet? I love how extensive this is. My team has a hard time covering even a tenth of this material.

Thanks so much for the resources!
It's not a class at the moment, but that's a work in progress. The building admins, district admins, and board of education are helping us navigate the financial, legal, and administrative aspects, and in the meantime the important part (student learning) is still happening. I see some of kids during the day as they are allowed to be in the shop during their study hour, but it's informal.

Team meetings are twice weekly for four hours each night for preseason. At the moment schedule is a little erratic as we have full team on Wednesday, 10th-12th graders only on Friday, and the 9th graders split between Monday and Tuesday for their second day each week. We started the preseason by having the students work in three groups of five to prepare a robot for the Bot Bash offseason, so we didn't start doing lesson work until mid-October. At the moment Monday and Tuesday (9th grade nights) are pretty heavy on lessons, Wednesday is about 25% lessons/75% projects, and Friday is 100% projects. I'm currently torn between keeping the 9th graders split through December so that they and the vets can each get more individual attention, or merging the entire group into the same two days to refine team cohesion. That decision is what will affect how much lesson progress we make before build season. At the very least I'm hoping to get everybody to the level of conscious incompetence, where they know what they don't know, know their limits, and know when and how to ask for guidance in season.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2016, 10:29 AM
Uber Alien
AKA: Mike 1
FRC #4004 (M.A.R.S. Rovers)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2009
pribusin has a spectacular aura aboutpribusin has a spectacular aura aboutpribusin has a spectacular aura about

following
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2016, 11:44 AM
FRC #2781 (RoboPride)

Rookie Year: 2013
mastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to behold

How do you manage mentor planning and attendance? Are you in charge of everything? It seems like a TON of time. Are you a teacher?

The way you described it, you are there after school almost everyday.
2016: IotaBot - MWR/16th place/QF, R2OC/7th Alliance Captain/QF, Boiler Bot Battle/6th place/Finalist
2017: KappaBot - MWR/23rd place/no PO, CMPMO/Curie/48th place/no PO

#22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
How do you manage mentor planning and attendance?
With agility For preseason I've been managing lessons/training and half of one project, and the other coaches and veteran kids have been managing all the other projects. The rookies are usually with with me doing training on Mon/Tues, and then split into groups with other coaches and veteran students for appropriation into projects and team culture on Wednesday. That leaves all the coaches and veteran kids free to focus on just one project on Wed/Fri. If anybody (kids or coaches) can't be there on any given day we adjust. Student attendance expectations are that every team member attends 80% of scheduled hours (works out to ~6.5 hours per week preseason) so they manage their own schedules within that guideline and post ahead of time when they know they have a conflict so that task plans can be adjusted accordingly.

Quote:
Are you in charge of everything? It seems like a TON of time.
More or less, but I have really great support from the other coaches and veteran kids. We think of leadership as being both a task burden (things have to get done), and separately an emotional burden of sorts (the weight of expectations). The task burden shifts around a bit based on what the critical path is at any given time, but the emotional burden is pretty well distributed (which really frees up a lot of time and mental bandwidth for tasks). For preseason training I put in my time willingly, but am confident that I don't have to. If I was getting burned out either somebody else (another coach or older kid) would pick up the slack for a few nights per week or we'd condense the Mon/Tues training meetings into Friday. The individual attention from small group nights is great but me being burnt out wouldn't be good for us at all.

Quote:
Are you a teacher?
Nope, but I might get certified so I can teach the curriculum as a class. That's one of the many financial/administrative/organizational matters that needs to be worked out prior to implementation as a class.

Quote:
The way you described it, you are there after school almost everyday.
Pretty much, the key is that I don't have to be though, so it's not so bad. Preventing burn out is important. Also, while I am almost always in the shop during the day (if I'm not here students can't be here), I'm not obligated to be anywhere in particular, which helps the situation.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2016, 10:20 PM

Per requests, here is a single page printable version of the top level outline.

Last edited by Allison K : 11-16-2016 at 10:22 PM.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2018, 10:00 PM
AKA: Sebastien Cournoyer
FRC #5860 (Full Metal Muskrats)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2015
Coach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of light

I like this training plan and will most likely use it as a starting point for us to build our structure....

How do yo manage the training material? is it self driven or instructor led?

Some of the material available online?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: