OCCRA
Go to Post Must...squish....bugs... :p - nighterfighter [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Awards > Chairman's Award
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 01:41 PM
AKA: Sierra
FRC #2767 (Stryke Force)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2010
Janeurary is an unknown quantity at this point
Executive Summaries Question

It's my first year helping to write the Chairman's essays for my team and we have decided to go with a different formatting on the executive summaries than in the past. The last couple of years we have just written a short paragraph and were done, but this year we have bullet points and sub-bullet points since it was suggested to do so. This is where my question comes in though, are there bullet points in the submission software or do we need to put in little dashes and, if there is bullet points in the software, do they count towards the character count? Thank you!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 01:46 PM
I really don't hate Polar Bears.
AKA: Smiti Shah
FRC #2869 (Regal Eagles)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
smitikshah has a reputation beyond reputesmitikshah has a reputation beyond reputesmitikshah has a reputation beyond reputesmitikshah has a reputation beyond reputesmitikshah has a reputation beyond reputesmitikshah has a reputation beyond reputesmitikshah has a reputation beyond reputesmitikshah has a reputation beyond reputesmitikshah has a reputation beyond reputesmitikshah has a reputation beyond reputesmitikshah has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Executive Summaries Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeurary View Post
It's my first year helping to write the Chairman's essays for my team and we have decided to go with a different formatting on the executive summaries than in the past. The last couple of years we have just written a short paragraph and were done, but this year we have bullet points and sub-bullet points since it was suggested to do so. This is where my question comes in though, are there bullet points in the submission software or do we need to put in little dashes and, if there is bullet points in the software, do they count towards the character count? Thank you!
Bullet points don't get translated into software when you submit, you need to put in little dashes. Those do get counted towards character count. To reduce count with line breaks we formated one of the questions like this:

https://imgur.com/ua2Y3tL
Chairman's Lead 2016-2018

Motivated by fear of mediocrity.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Everyone. Everywhere.
AKA: Sarah
FRC #3132 (Thunder Down Under)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Phoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned above, the software does not include bullet point capabilities. It is a very basic text editor, and you have to be very careful as some characters get turned to "?". Make sure you reread everything before you hit "submit" to ensure all "?"s are removed. This seems to have gotten better in recent years, but we were always very worried about the stray "?".

Having read a number of submissions, I think formatting is key. You want to make sure it is easy for the judges to read. Especially at the Regional/District level, the judges are usually busy professionals who are asked to read the essays/questions before the event begins. That's a huge ask, so be sure to make their job as easy as possible!

Also, just a head's up, the online submission's character count is different to Google's. We always did our submissions on Google Drive, so I don't know if it differs to Microsoft Word, but either way be prepared to take out another 1-5% of characters.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:47 PM
AKA: Sierra
FRC #2767 (Stryke Force)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2010
Janeurary is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much to both of you! I really appreciate the help. I was worried that when I went to submit everything would be over the character limits because of formatting. A big thank you again and hope you have a great kickoff tomorrow!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: