OCCRA
Go to Post Call it confidence, call it ego, call it what you want, but the fact of the matter is you need to be humble or someone will humble you. - Dan Richardson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Motors
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 05:45 PM
Mentor - Team 4926
AKA: Sam Geckler
FRC #4926 (GalacTech)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
sgeckler is a name known to allsgeckler is a name known to allsgeckler is a name known to allsgeckler is a name known to allsgeckler is a name known to allsgeckler is a name known to all
775 threw-up a brush

So how do I put this back inside?

https://drive.google.com/a/team4926....ew?usp=sharing

I think we all know these have been pretty reliable motors. In fact, I don't think we've failed any at Team 4926. But this one spit out a brush last night! I found it 10 ft away. I assume the fan blades threw it, although I wasn't there to see it.

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 06:16 PM
AKA: Matt Esser
FRC #5740 (Trojanators)

Rookie Year: 2015
messer5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud ofmesser5740 has much to be proud of
Re: 775 threw-up a brush

One of my favorite memories this year was when our electronics team was freaking out about a brush getting broken and completely sucked into the motor when we were testing it- dont worry about it honestly it should still work. I wouldnt expect an easy way to reattach it since basically you break it after opening it.

EDIT: okay I though that was a fan piece or brush casing... my bad!

A good driver is always better than a good robot.

2015: Winner of the Rookie Inspiration Award
2016: Quarterfinalists at Greater Pittsburgh Regional and Buckeye Regional
2017: Dean's List Finalist
2018: Engineering Inspiration Award; Quarterfinalists at the Miami Valley and Greater Pittsburgh Regional

Last edited by messer5740 : 08-01-2018 at 10:45 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 07:06 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

This kills the motor.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 07:20 PM
Professional Something
AKA: Chun-che
FRC #4388 (Ridgebotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Attention will become famous soon enough

There's no coming back from that. It's probably dead already if that fell out. My team burned like 2 775 when that happened so yeah...\_(ツ)_/
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 07:57 PM
AKA: Clayton
FRC #0100 (The WildHats)
Team Role: CAD

ClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud of

A question: is this motor still legal to use per R34? Additionally, if you somehow fixed it and got the brush back in, would it be legal then?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 08:21 PM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)

bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayTownR View Post
A question: is this motor still legal to use per R34? Additionally, if you somehow fixed it and got the brush back in, would it be legal then?
I don't think there's anything in the rules about components modifying themselves...
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2018, 09:31 PM
Mentor
no team

philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysq View Post
I don't think there's anything in the rules about components modifying themselves...
Even if it is deemed to be legal,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
This kills the motor.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2018, 06:14 AM
I represent my views, not my team's
AKA: Tanner Duncan
FRC #5460 (Strike Zone)

tanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nicetanman172000 is just really nice

At our off season event, ROBO-CON, one of our eleavator motors sollowed a zip tie. I wrap itself so tightly in the motor that there is no hope of getting it out. RIP 775 #6
2016: Lead Mechanical, Operator, District Finalist (FIM-Kettering #1), Industrial Design Award (FIM-Kettering #1), District Finalist (FIM-Lansing), Creativity Award (FIM-Lansing), District Championship Finalist (MSC)
2017: Team Captain, Driver, Excellence in Engineering Award (FIM Kettering #1), District Winner (FIM-Troy), Judges' Award (FIM-Troy)
2018: Team Captain, Driver, District Finalist (FIM-Troy), Quality Award (FIM-Troy), Innovation in Control Award (MSC)

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2018, 08:41 AM
three on the scale
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Even if the motor still spins after the brush flies out, it will run at a fraction of the performance it once had (and eventually fail). Discard the motor so you don't accidentally put it on a future robot, and change it out for a new one.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2018, 08:56 AM
Facing build season withdrawal
FRC #5727 (REaCH Omegabytes)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Tomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud of

I would assume that if you put the same brush back in (if the motor isn't already killed and the brush is in good shape) that R34 would not be violated since the motor was not changed in any way. If a completely new brush is used, I would expect that to be in violation of the rule.

That being said, if you get it fixed (big if), I wouldn't use it on a competition bot because the motor has to be at least partially killed if it ran any after losing the brush.

Edit: +1 to the post above, label this motor for no competition use.

Am I the only one who read the title and thought of someone in a 775pro costume getting sick and vomiting?

Last edited by Tomithy : 08-02-2018 at 08:59 AM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2018, 09:25 AM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
Even if the motor still spins after the brush flies out, it will run at a fraction of the performance it once had (and eventually fail). Discard the motor so you don't accidentally put it on a future robot, and change it out for a new one.
This is why I generally have a strict "No used motors on the competition bot" policy, you just never know what kind of shape they're in.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Chicago Transplant
AKA: Devin Keeney
FRC #1982 (Cougar Robotics)

Bkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant future

We had a similar failure on our two motors running our elevator... twice. While our brushes didn't forcibly eject themselves, you could view inside the motor and see that they were clearly not attached anymore. We opened one of them (with a dremel because it was late Friday afternoon at Heartland and we were curious) and the brush didn't just come out, the metal that was acting as the spring for the brush had snapped. What's funny, is it happened the same side to two motors running two sides of our elevator. Same failure happened at a demo event a few weeks after worlds.

Join the FRC Discord!

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2018, 12:29 PM
Robot Mentor
FRC #2974 (WALT)

FrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond repute

775 pros are a bit fragile. If you run them at full voltage and under about %50 free speed for any significant length of time, they will over heat. Brushes coming loose is a symptom of that. Which means you want to stay to the right of peak power on the power/RPM curve.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2018, 02:03 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

While it is possible to repair this motor, the fact that the brush fell out is proof that the motor has been damaged. I pulled one apart a few years back and found that the actual failure occurred in the brush holder. It cracked and released the brush. I could have used parts from a different motor if that one had failed due to an armature short but the motor is not a huge an expense. Repair is one of those diminishing return kind of operations. Your time costs more that the motor is worth repairing.
www.wildstang.org
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2018, 05:53 PM
AKA: Nick
FRC #0323 (Lights Out)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2013
N1ck is a jewel in the roughN1ck is a jewel in the roughN1ck is a jewel in the rough

Spitting out brushes was always the failure mode on 1 motor swerve modules. especially on the practice bot that got ran hard in a 90 degree room. you can take 2 motors that have done this and fix 1 but they will fail again so don't use them in competition. you take the broken brush holder out and replace it with one that didn't break from a different motor making 1 usable motor out of 2 junk ones. we had to do this in 2016 due to 775 being sold out everywhere.

Nick

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: