Go to Post During the year I can't wait for the game hint to be released, but then as soon as it is released and I read it for the first time my head starts to hurt and I regret reading it at all... - Jon Jack [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 04:32 PM
FRC #3323 (Potential Energy)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Connor289 is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake disk?

Much like last year we quickly realized that at the end of the match when the power shuts off any robot not locked into place will come tumbling back down. Last year we used a ratchet but this year is a little bit different since what ever we use to lift the robot will have to go in both directions "up and down". One thing we noticed on robots in previous years were small brake disk from bicycles. My question to you guys is how you would keep the disk brake closed even when the power turns off. Thanks in advance!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Electromechanicadchining Mentor
AKA: Craig Hickman
FRC #0114
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Mechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to behold
Re: Brake disk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor289 View Post
Much like last year we quickly realized that at the end of the match when the power shuts off any robot not locked into place will come tumbling back down. Last year we used a ratchet but this year is a little bit different since what ever we use to lift the robot will have to go in both directions "up and down". One thing we noticed on robots in previous years were small brake disk from bicycles. My question to you guys is how you would keep the disk brake closed even when the power turns off. Thanks in advance!
Pneumatic solenoids have an "off" position, so having the robot off default to a locked brake would yield the results you're looking for.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Pick and Place FTW
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
EricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
pneumatic cylinder.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Taking a few years (mostly) off
AKA: Josepher
no team (Formerly 1687, 5400)

Rookie Year: 2007
Joe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joe G.

If you power it with pneumatics, this is pretty simple. Double acting solenoids will always hold the last commanded position regardless of power. Single acting solenoids will return to a given position when power is removed.

2007-2010: Student, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2012-2014: Technical Mentor, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2015-2016: Lead Mentor, FRC 5400, Team WARP
2017: Technical Mentor, FRC 1100, The T-Hawks
2018: Other projects/maybe some mentor-for-hire work around NE

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 04:43 PM
Robot Mentor
FRC #2974 (WALT)

Rookie Year: 2009
FrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond repute

One way would be with an pneumatic cylinder that set the brake when the solenoid is de-energized. Disable De-energizes all solenoids.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 04:51 PM
AKA: Jacob C.
FRC #2883 (Fighting Rednecks Engineering & Design)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2014
Sir_Fenwick is a jewel in the roughSir_Fenwick is a jewel in the roughSir_Fenwick is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I would think that a single acting cylinder, tension with a spring. when the match starts, push air into the cylinder, pushing against the spring, and play the game. When the match ends, the air can vent, and the spring closes the cylinder, gripping the brake lever and braking. or you could just use the air cylinder and not vent, when the match ends, the air will not change, and the brake will be active. Hope that makes sense!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 04:59 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would challenge the assertion that it has to go both up and down. It is entirely possible (and I think many teams will do it) to have a system that only requires travel in one direction, making a ratchet perfectly valid.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 04:59 PM
AKA: Andrew Korts
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)

Kortsy is on a distinguished road

Springloaded Pneumatic Piston
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 05:04 PM
AKA: Zeb
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
Zeb340 is a splendid one to beholdZeb340 is a splendid one to beholdZeb340 is a splendid one to beholdZeb340 is a splendid one to beholdZeb340 is a splendid one to beholdZeb340 is a splendid one to beholdZeb340 is a splendid one to behold

We had a disk brake in one iteration of our 2015 robot, I believe it was controlled with a spring loaded pneumatic piston, the piston was spring loaded so that the disk brake was engaged without air. That did not make it to the final version. for rotational motion I personally prefer the beach bots (330) method of using a giant sprocket ratio and use a van door moter that has a worm gear and can't backdrive, but both options defiantly work.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2018, 05:09 PM
AKA: Matt Sowden
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)
Team Role: Human Player

msowd is an unknown quantity at this point

These all seem like great ideas but it is for a problem that doesn't have to exist unless you plan to go higher than 13-15 inches up. In Table 4-1 of the Match Play Section in the rules, the robots bumpers have to be above the 12 inch mark at T=0. This means, unlike 2017 and 2016, the robot is allowed to fall beneath the line after the end of the match. Now I understand the desire to not want to continuously drive the mechanism until the end of the match and have it fall however high your robot climbs (especially if it has other robots on it). Depending on the strategy, you may not have to have a design that locks it at all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: