Go to Post Not only would it be cool but the mental image of Dave's suffering when he writes a message in unintelligible characters makes me grin uncontrollably. - Andrew Schreiber [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2018, 06:50 PM
FRC #6072

ian_turner45 is an unknown quantity at this point
#25 vs #35 for 6 inch wheels

Hi all,

I would like to know your thoughts on using #25 chain vs #35 chain for 6 inch size wheels and if you've had any experiences breaking #25 chain using 6 inch wheels. I am not sure how to analyze this without making a chassis with each type of chain so I'm hoping someone will have some insight on this topic. Thanks!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2018, 06:56 PM
Sharpie Man
AKA: Nathan Shepherd
FRC #2079 (4H ALARM Robotics) & #246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
NShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond reputeNShep98 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: #25 vs #35 for 6 inch wheels

The sprocket has more to do with breaking chains than the wheel size. You generally don’t want large differences in sprocket sizes. 25 chain is easier to break, but if you’re careful and line them up properly, you shouldn’t experience a problem.

FLL:
2011, 2013

FRC:
2015 - 2017 : 2079 4H ALARM Robotics (student)
2018 - present : 2079 4H ALARM Robotics, 246 Overclocked (mentor)

Boston University Class of 2021
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2018, 06:59 PM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Type is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_turner45 View Post
Hi all,

I would like to know your thoughts on using #25 chain vs #35 chain for 6 inch size wheels and if you've had any experiences breaking #25 chain using 6 inch wheels. I am not sure how to analyze this without making a chassis with each type of chain so I'm hoping someone will have some insight on this topic. Thanks!
I have not used #25 chain before so I can't speak on that behalf but the reason my team uses #35 and don't really risk the #25 is due to the drivetrain being the most important part of your robot. No drivetrain, no scoring (minus a few teams from 2015 and 469 in 2010, but besides that) so even though it may add a pound, maybe 2 at very most, I believe it's worth it to have a rock solid drivetrain you don't need to worry about chain tension or chain breaking.

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2018, 08:19 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

If you use large sprockets #25 can work, but #35 with any sprocket is a lot safer.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2018, 08:31 PM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

We ran #25 in 2016 with 8 inch wheels, aiming for high torque low speed. Because we didn't have good spacing we threw some chains, but I don't recall breaking any. We ran 16 teeth on the gearbox and 32 on the wheels; larger would have been better.

Note that we used a Dark Soul chain tool (Vex now has a similar tool for chain) which does not require master links - I absolutely endorse using this type of tool to splice chain. Spliced chain is stronger, and does not have any parts that stick out and tend to catch things. Order a few spare pins for the chain tool, because we've had several shear, especially when used by those who haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2018, 08:37 PM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Minnetonka)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

Are 18t sprockets with #25 chain too small for 6inch wheels? We are direct driving the middle wheels and then connecting 18:18 to the front and back.
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka/Tater Bot Hot Dish) - Mentor
2017-: FIRST Volunteer - 2017 North Champs Student Ambassador
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2018, 09:28 PM
AKA: Joshua Bimson
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
jlbimson has much to be proud ofjlbimson has much to be proud ofjlbimson has much to be proud ofjlbimson has much to be proud ofjlbimson has much to be proud ofjlbimson has much to be proud ofjlbimson has much to be proud ofjlbimson has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrishna3082 View Post
Are 18t sprockets with #25 chain too small for 6inch wheels? We are direct driving the middle wheels and then connecting 18:18 to the front and back.
That setup works just fine. 1678 has used #25 chain with 18t sprockets with various different wheel sizes, without major issues. Just make sure you check the chain often. Use #25H chain if you can, as it is stronger. Also, Chain-Saver the drivetrain a couple times every competition.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2018, 11:10 PM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbimson View Post
Also, Chain-Saver the drivetrain a couple times every competition.
Wha'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2018, 11:11 PM
Don't lay blame. Fix probems.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

A decade of experience with 25 chain... and we'll not use 35 again. Once you know how to.engineer it you start worrying about weight, then you never look at 35 again unless you've got an application that must have the increase in strength.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2018, 11:16 PM
Let's just build a robot
AKA: Jon Kelley
FRC #5511 (Cortechs Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2014
jkelleyrtp has much to be proud ofjkelleyrtp has much to be proud ofjkelleyrtp has much to be proud ofjkelleyrtp has much to be proud ofjkelleyrtp has much to be proud ofjkelleyrtp has much to be proud ofjkelleyrtp has much to be proud ofjkelleyrtp has much to be proud ofjkelleyrtp has much to be proud ofjkelleyrtp has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Line View Post
A decade of experience with 25 chain... and we'll not use 35 again. Once you know how to.engineer it you start worrying about weight, then you never look at 35 again unless you've got an application that must have the increase in strength.
I love how in 971's recent video releases they said they're only doing #35 chain for now on. Thought it was funny...
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2018, 11:46 PM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #5803 (Apex Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelleyrtp View Post
I love how in 971's recent video releases they said they're only doing #35 chain for now on. Thought it was funny...
Worth pointing out 971's preference for #35 chain is due to the stiffness, not the strength. They use very advanced controls, and need the stiffness to be able to do what they want with the robot. For most teams, #35 chain is overkill in terms of strength and controlability, especially on drivetrains. In the same vein, 971 also make custom sized interference fit hex shafts to reduce slop in their mechanisms, and belts on the drivetain.

There are definitely places to use #35 chain on a robot, but using #35 all the time is just added weight and size for most teams.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 02:13 AM
AKA: hank
FRC #1610 (Blackwater Robotics ...ready for a water game since 1999)

Rookie Year: 2005
mrmummert is a splendid one to beholdmrmummert is a splendid one to beholdmrmummert is a splendid one to beholdmrmummert is a splendid one to beholdmrmummert is a splendid one to beholdmrmummert is a splendid one to beholdmrmummert is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to mrmummert

We used #25 chain in 2016 with 8" pnuematic wheels and 16 tooth sprockets. The reason we used such small sprockets was we did a West Coast drive with chain in tube. There was very little clearance but it worked. We had only one chain failure from a chain that kept catching a pop rivet (fasteners not recommended sticking inside the tube (versa chassis 1x2) We did two district and one district championship with this. We use the dark soul tool to make chains. This year we are using wider 1.5x2 tube. We have also used #25 chain for the lifts on our 2007 and 2011 robots.

If you have the weight and space use #35...but #25 works almost as well but use it carefully.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 03:54 AM
Mr. H
FRC #3880 (Tiki Techs)

Rookie Year: 2011
TikiTech is a splendid one to beholdTikiTech is a splendid one to beholdTikiTech is a splendid one to beholdTikiTech is a splendid one to beholdTikiTech is a splendid one to beholdTikiTech is a splendid one to behold

We have been using both #25 and #35 chain for many years.

When setup correctly and maintained they both work very well.

In a drive train we stick to #35 now.

We stopped using #25 in the drive train after 2014.. We were using 3CIM transmissions and the chain stretches easier and requires more diligence on the re-tensioning or replacing.

Many scooters and go carts run on #25 so they are easily up to the task.

The tire size really isn't as much of a concern in FRC as the amount of chain you have interfacing on the sprocket..
Keep it at half the sprocket and make sure you have a way to tension and check it before each match and it will work fine.
Just might need small adjustments and keep a few spare lengths (already cut) to swap if they get bad..

Good luck,

Aloha!
2017 Los Angeles Regional Team Spirit Award | Hawaii Regional Innovation in Control Award
2016 Hopper Division | Orlando Regional Engineering Inspiration Award | Hawaii Regional Chairman's Award & Finalist & Woodie Flowers Finalist
2015 Carson Division | Silicon Valley Regional Engineering Inspiration Award | HI Regional Regional Winners & Engineering Inspiration & Deans List
2014 Newton Division | Hawaii Regional Engineering Inspiration Award & Deans List Finalist
2013 Newton Division | Inland Empire Regional Regional Chairman's & Creativity Award | Los Angles Regional Engineering Inspiration | HI Regional
2012 Curie Division | Hawaii Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2011 Newton Division | Hawaii Regional Regional Winners & Industrial Design Award
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 08:41 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #3929 (Atomic Dragons); fmr. FRC #228 (GUS) & FRC #2791 (Shaker)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NShep98 View Post
You generally don’t want large differences in sprocket sizes.
Sorry, just wanted to correct this. Properly tensioned and with plenty of wrap on both sides (120 degrees minimum) there is absolutely nothing wrong with a large sprocket reduction, as long as the small sprocket isn't too small. This has been done by hundreds of teams over many years, and is generally the preferred way to power an arm for example.
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Regional Finalists (with 20, 3182), 2012 BAE Finalists (with 1519, 885)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
Wha'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/DuPont-Te...11-oz/16672659

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: