OCCRA
Go to Post Just once I'd love to see a team come out to the field and say " Team xxxx rejects our reality and accepts yours!" - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Motors
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-01-2018, 12:12 PM
FRC #1706

therealsadboi is on a distinguished road
Swerve Drive Survey

https://goo.gl/forms/kCC4rf1mh5i7hdaF2

Hey everyone,
We're doing an engineering class project to redesign and produce a low-end swerve drive and a high-end swerve to sell online to FRC teams. If you could fill out this survey and help us gauge what people would like in a drive, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-01-2018, 12:35 PM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Minnetonka)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swerve Drive Survey

Filled it out, but you missed the opportunity to call it a "swervey"

“Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.”
2010-2011: FLL 11083, 13873 (Minnetonka Silver) - Programmer
2016-: FRC 3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) - Engineering Captain, Driver, Programming Lead
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka) - Founding Mentor
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-01-2018, 12:41 PM
FRC #2502 (Talon Robotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2012
Poorva.Halbe is an unknown quantity at this point

This is creative! any idea for a projected design timeline?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

These seem like very low prices for swerve modules, and as somebody who spends a lot of time on the swerve problem, I'm skeptical you can really make good modules for this much without sacrificing weight or reliability. I'd really want to see the design before making a definitive statement about whether or not I'd buy, but in general, I'd consider $400 for a fully functional module to be a good deal.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2018, 06:57 PM
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)

Rookie Year: 2014
wgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to behold

Pre-assembled is an interesting 'feature'. Most teams would (should) have the ability to assemble from a kit which would allow them to select which motor option they want, what gear ratio they want, etc. I expect that for the high end option at least, you would want to provide the flexibility and lower production costs of a kit.

A couple of other features that you may want to try to integrate into your design would be:

1) compatible with versa frame (i.e. the mounting bolt pattern matches the versaframe spacing). [both the low end and the high end design]

2) different wheel options. [primarily for the high end design]

3) low versus tall configurations. [primarily for the high end design]

4) drive motor encoders. [at least as an option]

I can't wait to see the design you guys come up with.

Last edited by wgorgen : 10-02-2018 at 08:06 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2018, 11:43 AM
Programming Mentor
FRC #0027 (RUSH)

Rookie Year: 2011
Clayton Yocom is a jewel in the roughClayton Yocom is a jewel in the roughClayton Yocom is a jewel in the roughClayton Yocom is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgorgen View Post
Pre-assembled is an interesting 'feature'. Most teams would (should) have the ability to assemble from a kit which would allow them to select which motor option they want, what gear ratio they want, etc. I expect that for the high end option at least, you would want to provide the flexibility and lower production costs of a kit.
It does mean you can have entire spare modules that would not count towards your withholding allowance though, correct?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2018, 12:48 PM
Electromechanicadchining Mentor
AKA: Craig Hickman
FRC #0114

Rookie Year: 2004
Mechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Yocom View Post
It does mean you can have entire spare modules that would not count towards your withholding allowance though, correct?
Correct, COTS components do not count towards withholding (for prior years' rules).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: