OCCRA
Go to Post "I would love to change the world but no one will give me the source code" - programmr [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute
paper: The Design Simple Guide to JeVois for FRC

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

The Design Simple Guide to JeVois for FRC by asid61
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 12:15 PM
FRC #2582 (PantherBots)

Rookie Year: 2010
chadr03 is a splendid one to beholdchadr03 is a splendid one to beholdchadr03 is a splendid one to beholdchadr03 is a splendid one to beholdchadr03 is a splendid one to beholdchadr03 is a splendid one to beholdchadr03 is a splendid one to behold
Re: paper: The Design Simple Guide to JeVois for FRC

Was Part 2 of this guide ever released? I could use some guidance on how to use the serial output and read it on the Rio.

If so please point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the work you have done so far.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Design Simple

asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadr03 View Post
Was Part 2 of this guide ever released? I could use some guidance on how to use the serial output and read it on the Rio.

If so please point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the work you have done so far.
Sorry, I never had a chance to try it with a RoboRIO. However, it should be pretty simple in theory to get it working with a RoboRIO USB port.
WPIlib provides libraries or sending serial data over the USB port, in the same manner something like an Arduino would interact with it. You can implement the same thing on the Jevois. I had trouble finding documentation on USB communications with the Jevois, so you might need to email the Jevois team and ask them how to get it talking to a computer/RoboRIO.
And easy way to test that it's working would be to plug it into your computer and use the Arduino 1.6 COM Port monitor to read/write data (the same way I do it in the paper). That way, you can edit the JeVois program to send over the data you need and test it with your computer before plugging it into a robot and testing with WPIlib's USB communication.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 08:57 PM
Mentor
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
Sorry, I never had a chance to try it with a RoboRIO. However, it should be pretty simple in theory to get it working with a RoboRIO USB port.
WPIlib provides libraries or sending serial data over the USB port, in the same manner something like an Arduino would interact with it. You can implement the same thing on the Jevois. I had trouble finding documentation on USB communications with the Jevois, so you might need to email the Jevois team and ask them how to get it talking to a computer/RoboRIO.
And easy way to test that it's working would be to plug it into your computer and use the Arduino 1.6 COM Port monitor to read/write data (the same way I do it in the paper). That way, you can edit the JeVois program to send over the data you need and test it with your computer before plugging it into a robot and testing with WPIlib's USB communication.
I'd be nice to wrap up some Jevois documentation for the RIO before season. Also, my impression is that the software from Jevois (Inventor 0.3.0) makes it simpler to program the device, so it is something to maybe add if updating documentation.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 09:28 AM
FRC #3647

tekunalogy is an unknown quantity at this point
I am currently extensively working with jevois to do vision with roborio. I have gotten a stream of data coming from the jevois connected to the roborio to my computer. I have also worked with team 2073 and they were super nice to help me. Once I am done I will be posting about my process.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Design Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreen View Post
I'd be nice to wrap up some Jevois documentation for the RIO before season. Also, my impression is that the software from Jevois (Inventor 0.3.0) makes it simpler to program the device, so it is something to maybe add if updating documentation.
Dang, I didn't see that! Unfortunately I tried booting up my Jevois yesterday and it got broken in transportation or something, so no Jevois for a while I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekunalogy View Post
I am currently extensively working with jevois to do vision with roborio. I have gotten a stream of data coming from the jevois connected to the roborio to my computer. I have also worked with team 2073 and they were super nice to help me. Once I am done I will be posting about my process.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I'll be interested in seeing how you do it!

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2018, 10:38 PM
I prefer you give a perfect effort.
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreen View Post
I have worked with JeVois Inventor since beta 0.1.0 was released.
Yes, it will make coding JeVois much easier and faster!

I haven't posted about it yet because I feel it has just enough quarks about it that I just couldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't already familiar with JeVois and its idiosyncrasies. For example, you currently can't stream mjpg with it. Sure, the workaround is simply to develop using YUYV and just remember to change the videomapping.cfg to cause your code to stream in mjpg when finished. It's just awkward to remember to swap it back and forth.

There are other minor issues I am waiting to see be ironed out before I write up another Whitepaper. Specifically, I would LOVE to see one of the tabs allow the development of a costume tuning application. Either that, or allow you to drop in your own script. Maybe something like a Tkinter script!

I truly believe JeVois Inventor will be a fantastic tool once it's features are ironed out.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC).
Curie Division Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up. Madtown Throwdown: Runner up.
2015 Innovation in Control Award, Sacramento.
2016 Chezy Champs Finalist, 2016 MTTD Finalist
2017 Utah Regional Winner!, Sacramento Finalist
Innovation in Control Newton/Carver Divisions , Newton #5 Captain
2018 WFFA Sacramento, Creativity Award Galileo-Robling Divisions

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: