Go to Post Those kids are different! They seem more mature, respectful, and intelligent than most adults. They can actually think instead of just spitting out facts. They are obviously getting a real education. - Amber H. [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 10:55 AM
FRC #1334

streamlined is an unknown quantity at this point
1/4" Frame Perimeter Protrusion Rule

Per R01:

Quote:
The ROBOT (excluding BUMPERS) must have a FRAME PERIMETER, contained within the BUMPER ZONE, that is comprised of fixed, non-articulated structural elements of the ROBOT. Minor protrusions no greater than ľ in. (~6.3 mm) such as bolt heads, fastener ends, weld beads, and rivets are not considered part of the FRAME PERIMETER.
Is it reasonable to assume that the phrasing 'such as bolt heads, fastener ends, weld beads, and rivets' would also include gusset plates, so long as they were at or under 1/4" protrusion from perimeter? I would like to be comfortable with an answer before we weld these gussets to our frame... kind of hard to undo.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 10:58 AM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Minnetonka)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1/4" Frame Perimeter Protrusion Rule

Please note that any answers to this question are unofficial, and the final decision is up to the robot inspector. I would encourage you to ask at the official FRC Q+A to get a response that will hold more substance should an inspector think that your robot is illegal.

"The official answer to Q+A question ### was ..." holds a lot more weight than "Some guy on Chief Delphi said ..."

That being said I would ask you to consider the fact that gusset plates tend to have larger surface areas than bolt heads or weld beads. I am not sure if that will have any effect on the rule. Either way I would recommend building a bit smaller than the maximum size (0.5-1" less in each dimension) so that you don't get tripped up by stuff like this.

My posts constitute my opinions, and mine alone, and are not representative of the views held by my team.
2010-2011: FLL 11083, 13873 (Minnetonka Silver) - Programmer
2016-: FRC 3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) - Engineering Captain, fmr. Programming Lead, 2017&2018 Dean's List Finalist
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka) - Founding Mentor

Last edited by pkrishna3082 : 01-12-2018 at 11:02 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 11:01 AM
Mostly Legal Volunteer
no team
Team Role: Alumni

ctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud of

I interpret the rule as allowing any protrusion less than 1/4", as the examples are list with "such as" and with "etc." at the end in R02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrishna3082 View Post
Please note that any answers to this question are unofficial, and the final decision is up to the robot inspector. I would encourage you to ask at the official FRC Q+A to get a response that will hold more substance should an inspector think that your robot is illegal.

"The official answer to Q+A question ### was ..." holds a lot more weight than "Some guy on Chief Delphi said ..."

That being said I would tell you to consider the fact that gusset plates tend to have larger surface areas than bolt heads or weld beads. I am not sure if that will have any effect on the rule but you will most likely be fine with 1/8" gussets for example. Either way I would recommend building a bit smaller than the maximum size (0.5-1" less in each dimension) so that you don't get tripped up by stuff like this.
However, I would also recommend this, as people will interpret the rule differently.

"You know, it's amazing how many things you can take apart with just one ordinary screwdriver!" - Calvin, from Calvin and Hobbes
"There's nothing a little duct tape and surgical tubing can't accomplish." - Sheldon J. Plankton

Last edited by ctt956 : 01-12-2018 at 11:03 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 11:11 AM
Robot Mentor
FRC #2974 (WALT)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
FrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping in mind that only this year's rules are the rules... Last year gusset plates were not considered minor protusions. Too much area was the logic behind that I believe. Also keep in mind that the maximum external dimensions are an absolute. They don not allow for minor protrusions.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 11:23 AM
New Guy
FRC #2559 (Normality Zero)

Rookie Year: 2015
BMiller2559 is a glorious beacon of lightBMiller2559 is a glorious beacon of lightBMiller2559 is a glorious beacon of lightBMiller2559 is a glorious beacon of lightBMiller2559 is a glorious beacon of light

Echoing the unofficial nature of the answers here. I believe the answer would come down to the string test. If your gusset plates end up inside the string, they will count.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 11:24 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

I see there being a big difference between gusset plates and bolt heads. I would not consider a gusset plate a "minor protrusion".
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 12:15 PM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Type has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud of

As others said, I would not count gusset plates as minor protrusions. Last year my team had the very end of round shafts sticking out with snap rings on the end (acting as a long bolt almost) and we were very cautious about that. I would ask First Q & A but I would not have gusset plates outside my frame perimeter.

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 12:22 PM
Mentor
no team

philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

It would probably be a good idea to make your frame dimensions just a bit smaller so that the thickness of a gusset would not raise such questions. We have typically made the length and width each 1/2" narrower than the maximum allowed. There won't be that much less space to install components.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 12:30 PM
teacher/coach
FRC #1339 (Angelbotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
mrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond repute

It's not too late for this advice: DON'T design your robot to the maximum allowed size. Make it small enough that minor protrusions, gussets, etc. don't end up becoming a point of contention with the inspectors, and a source of heartache for your team.

Remember why you're doing this.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Strategy Sun Tzu
AKA: Andrew Chan
FRC #4418

Rookie Year: 2013
chandrew has a spectacular aura aboutchandrew has a spectacular aura aboutchandrew has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoble View Post
It's not too late for this advice: DON'T design your robot to the maximum allowed size. Make it small enough that minor protrusions, gussets, etc. don't end up becoming a point of contention with the inspectors, and a source of heartache for your team.
^^^^^
Designing an inch or so less than frame perimeter max on each side shouldn't change your capabilities and makes for MUCH less hassle/concern during inspection. Same goes for designing to robot to be 5lbs under the weight limit (although that's often much harder)

2013-2017: FRC 1410 - Head of Strategy and Design
2018-: FRC 4418 - Long Distance Strategy Mentor
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Mentor
no team

philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoble View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrew View Post
^^^^^
Designing an inch or so less than frame perimeter max on each side shouldn't change your capabilities and makes for MUCH less hassle/concern during inspection. Same goes for designing to robot to be 5lbs under the weight limit (although that's often much harder)
One of the things I have learned from doing new product development and manufacturing support for over 30 years is that if you are designing right to the limits, you are probably doing something wrong.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller2559 View Post
Echoing the unofficial nature of the answers here. I believe the answer would come down to the string test. If your gusset plates end up inside the string, they will count.
This, on both counts. A plate which contacts the taut perimeter string IS the frame perimeter at that point.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 02:33 PM
Mentor/Drive Coach
AKA: Zach CH
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2011
StAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud of

We typically build ~.5 inch under the frame perimeter to allow for gussets and minor faults. I'd highly recommend doing this.
3 RCA's, 1 Regional Finalist, 2017 Houston Chairmans Finalist
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 07:16 PM
Broke a hundred!
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

All of the things listed prior to the etc are fasteners of some type. That means anything else on the list implied by the etc would also need to be fasteners. Gusset plates are not fasteners

That being said, if they become part of your frame perimeter then you donít have any problems.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2018, 08:48 PM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRotolo View Post
That being said, if they become part of your frame perimeter then you donít have any problems.
Unless they cause the frame perimeter to not fit in a 33" x 28" rectangle.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: