OCCRA
Go to Post Never underestimate the power of human ingenuity. - Wetzel [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2018, 09:18 PM
AKA: Boston Abrams
FRC #6036 (Peninsula Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2017
Bossed is an unknown quantity at this point
CAD and Design Training

I am leading CAD for team 6036 and during Power Up I (and a bit from other members) CADed our intake system for the cubes, because it had a lot of machined parts. Our machining lead found it very helpful to have drawings so there were not as many mistakes and he was doing a large amount of the machining and next year more members will probably be machining, so it is even more important. My team has (almost) decided to do some sort of workshop over the summer/fall. I have been thinking a lot about how to teach Autodesk Fusion 360 to other members of my team during this event, also how long should I expect teaching of CAD to take. Would 6 weeks w/ 3h or so per week really be enough. I guess it would be depending on how much I teach. What level of depth should I teach, just basics, or go through everything (Drawings, Model, Animation(just exploded views) and sculpt (would not find this at all helpful for FRC), simulation and Render)

A secondary question is how other teams teach design. The team that I am a part of has members from several schools. The school that I go to has a great PLTW program, but a majority of the team is from another school without a good Engineering curriculum. I think that "design/engineering skills" are important. What do you think? Of the things have been learning this year in PLTW Introduction to Engineering and Design what would be worth teaching in another workshop. (Statistics, Technical Drawings, Tolerances, Parametric Design, Fasteners, probably something else I am forgeting)

I seem to have a similar question to this(https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s....php?t=159430), but I don't think I am supposed to bump that so I thought it would be better to start this

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 11:27 AM
AKA: Devon Schlangen
FRC #4607 (C.I.S.)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2014
That1GuySteve22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: CAD and Design Training

We finally started using fusion 360 (previously used CREO but we switched due to the fact that we were using a demo version) to CAD up all of our robot parts before we machined them. We loved using Fusion 360 at first because we could login and share files through our accounts, but our lab's computers are locked meaning we cannot update them without administrative access. Anyways, without updating our computers we can no longer share them unless it's emailed.

Anyways, working with Fusion is quite simple. We had the father of one of our students (uses Autodesk Inventor) come in and show the students where some of the tools are and how they work (lines, polygons, circles, extrude, pattern, hole, text, etc.) From there they were given parts (2x1 predrilled vex tubing) to build. When they are finished with that we brought them to VEXs website and taught them how to import CAD files from the internet before checking their work with the original file. We trained in about 10 people within a week and a half (3.5 hours/afternoon) to where they could CAD up individual parts to the robot. (Note we also spent about one week on learning how to make spreadsheets and assemblies).

From personal experience I would suggest teaching the basics with sketching, assembly, and drawing, then giving them projects to build, assemble and make drawings.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 12:13 PM
CAD, Design & Graphics Support
AKA: Team supporter and enthusiast
FRC #0133 (BERT 133)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
TedG will become famous soon enough

We don't have a real "formal" cad training system.
We teach a handful of students what they need to know to be productive during build season. We usually have a few experienced members who help out the new ones.

It helps if the students have some basic cad-drafting skills, if they know how things are made, and if you can show them an actual "thing" they're designing.

We primarily use Inventor for build season to design our robot and parts to fabricate or machine.

Last summer we used Fusion 360 to get a whole bunch of students introduced to CAD. They were able to download it for free on the school MAC's (which you can't do with Inventor) It's "similar" to Inventor but lacks special things like threaded hole features (which we use when designing actual parts). But it got them thinking in the right direction.

2010 - GSR: Excellence in Website Design
2011 - GSR: Motorola Quality Award
2012 - Mainely Spirit: Spirit Award, Human Player Award- GSR: Gracious Professionalism Award, Quarterfinalist- Beantown Blitz: Finalist
2013 - Mainely Spirit: Sportsmanship Award- GSR: Semifinalist, Woodie Flowers Award- PTR: Semifinalist- Beantown Blitz: Semifinalist
2014 - GSD: Spirit Award, 5th seed, Semi Finalists- PTD: 2nd seed, Finalists
2015 - Safety Animation 1st Place Award, PTD: Excellence in Engineering Award, 8th seed, Finalists, UNHD: Spirit Award, 9th seed, 6th seed Finalists Alliance Captain; Event Winner
2016 - NSD: Industrial Design Award, 3rd seed, Semifinalist- PTD: Excellence in Engineering Award, 2nd seed, Event Winner, Championship; Carver Finalists

Opinions expressed here are mine alone, and not necessarily of the team.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Eats Tableau for Breakfast
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute

See if your district has a subscription to Lynda or the like (or even YT videos, Autodesk has a set of Fusion/Inventor tutorials for FRC applications,) so the students can learn at their own pace for the basics.

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1GuySteve22 View Post
From personal experience I would suggest teaching the basics with sketching, assembly, and drawing, then giving them projects to build, assemble and make drawings.
Ok, thanks for the feedback. Did the mentor go through each tool ("this is the circle tool. 3 different types... and you use it like this. Shortcut is C") or just kinda just go through all together. Seems like your mentor was able to teach really fast... did he just did the very basics. I was going to go through every tool, maybe I shouldn't, just main tools for frc (we make almost everything from extrusion.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
Last summer we used Fusion 360 to get a whole bunch of students introduced to CAD. They were able to download it for free on the school MAC's (which you can't do with Inventor) It's "similar" to Inventor but lacks special things like threaded hole features (which we use when designing actual parts). But it got them thinking in the right direction.
In the latest version of fusion 360 the fusion team added a threaded hole feature. But still not in the drawing environment, so it still lacks that to inventor. I have added a suggestion to the fusion team to add this feature in the future.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLast View Post
See if your district has a subscription to Lynda or the like (or even YT videos, Autodesk has a set of Fusion/Inventor tutorials for FRC applications,) so the students can learn at their own pace for the basics.
Interesting... I was just assuming that I would teach, but I guess our programming team is thinking of not teaching it, but just give people youtube videos
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2018, 08:55 AM
AKA: Donovan Nichols
FRC #0624 (CRyptonite)

PowerCubeLunch is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossed View Post
A secondary question is how other teams teach design. The team that I am a part of has members from several schools. The school that I go to has a great PLTW program, but a majority of the team is from another school without a good Engineering curriculum. I think that "design/engineering skills" are important. What do you think? Of the things have been learning this year in PLTW Introduction to Engineering and Design what would be worth teaching in another workshop. (Statistics, Technical Drawings, Tolerances, Parametric Design, Fasteners, probably something else I am forgeting)

I seem to have a similar question to this(https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s....php?t=159430), but I don't think I am supposed to bump that so I thought it would be better to start this

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
I'm also wondering on good ways to teach design, as next season I'd like to grow our CAD to more of a design based team in addition to CADing parts for fabrication and for drawings. I know there are teams who aim to finish all their CAD early in season, and then build somewhat based off that, and I think even if we don't fully do that, being proactive and knowing how to design so we could work in more conjunction with build team would be great.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Strategy and Systems Engineering
AKA: Ronald (Ron) Houde
FRC #3986 (Express-O)

Rookie Year: 2018
TBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLast View Post
I introduced Autodesk Fusion 360 to a group of High School students this year. After installing the software on their computer, I pointed them to the excellent collection of Fusion 360 Youtube tutorials by Lars Christensen.

I suggested they first watch an entire capsule, then go back and replicate Lars' actions with all the pauses and fast forward/backward as they wanted.

With nothing more that the first three videos, they had mastered the basic CAD concepts and were off to the races.

After teaching them the basics with a Slicer application, they were then off to the 3D printer making their CAD realizations into something they could touch and manipulate.

The lesson I learned through this exercise... Never underestime a motivated high school student with the right tools...
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Strategy and Systems Engineering
AKA: Ronald (Ron) Houde
FRC #3986 (Express-O)

Rookie Year: 2018
TBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossed View Post
Interesting... I was just assuming that I would teach, but I guess our programming team is thinking of not teaching it, but just give people youtube videos
Welcome to the era of social media empowered kids!!!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBKahouna View Post
I introduced Autodesk Fusion 360 to a group of High School students this year. After installing the software on their computer, I pointed them to the excellent collection of Fusion 360 Youtube tutorials by Lars Christensen.

I suggested they first watch an entire capsule, then go back and replicate Lars' actions with all the pauses and fast forward/backward as they wanted.

With nothing more that the first three videos, they had mastered the basic CAD concepts and were off to the races.

After teaching them the basics with a Slicer application, they were then off to the 3D printer making their CAD realizations into something they could touch and manipulate.

The lesson I learned through this exercise... Never underestime a motivated high school student with the right tools...
I am a high school student and that is about half of how I learned CAD... other half, the transferable (between programs) from engineering program at my school in inventor. But I mostly watched Lars' videos and played around... making smaller projects. One of the reasons that I wanted to teach was that I thought it might be only way to teach because it would get them to learn, and not just goof off, because our team is really good at that
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2018, 10:28 PM
Passion breeds passion.
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

Rookie Year: 2011
EmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest thing to remember. Make sure your students are well versed in understanding typical FRC build processes (how to use tube, fasteners, gussets, welding, standard COTS gearbox and wheel options, etc) before you throw them at CAD. It will pay dividends.

Member of the New England FRC community? Join the FRC New England Alliance Facebook Group!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileH View Post
The biggest thing to remember. Make sure your students are well versed in understanding typical FRC build processes (how to use tube, fasteners, gussets, welding, standard COTS gearbox and wheel options, etc) before you throw them at CAD. It will pay dividends.
I am still a freshmen and really that is not my specialty... but our build capt should do a lesson on bushings/bearings and some other usefull frc stuff... Good idea, thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: