OCCRA
Go to Post This is one case where I really wish Andymark didn't listen to their customers so well. - ASD20 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Awards > Chairman's Award
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2018, 10:58 PM
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight) & FTC 9205 (The Iron Maidens)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute
2018 Chairman's Award Winners

Apologies for the late posting this year-- I've been a bit busy with some major life changes such as graduating from university and finding a job, so I haven't gotten a chance to post this year's spreadsheet yet.

There are some differences between this year and previous years' spreadsheets, as I am attempting to fully automate the process of making them as much as possible-- I've done this prior years to a minor extent, but still spent far too long manually updating them. As such, this year's spreadsheet is (for now) a single pager. Let me know if you like this or would prefer to have the districts broken out again. As a certain famous Robowrangler says: "Everything is iterative." So too is this spreadsheet. I'm still working on building out more functionality so some columns that have been there in the past aren't there anymore, but may be making a comeback.

On a related note, I will not be writing any Chairman's Previews for this year. I'm simply not in a position to put the time in to do worthwhile research this year, so they'd effectively be Oromus' predictions, which, while cool, are something that is already out there. Perhaps in future years they will return, but I would invite anyone interested to take up the mantle-- I learned a ton about the award and the teams competing for it over the last few years, and would highly recommend it to someone with the time and interest.

Without further ado, the spreadsheets (and those since we started doing them)...

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2018, 11:01 PM
Eats Tableau for Breakfast
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2018 Chairman's Award Winners

Mind linking a shareable link?

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2018, 11:08 PM

cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLast View Post

Mind linking a shareable link?
Fixed

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2018, 09:43 PM

Update: District and regional breakout data is back! I've also added a page specifically for first-time winners.

Congratulations to 3316, 6348, 3930, 4122, 4476, 1772, 4481, 6314, 5883, 2096, 6328, 3667, 2481, 3024, 6429 on your first time Chairman's wins! Here's hoping you have many more as you continue to do great work.

In particular, congratulations to 5883, Spice Gears, who we've partnered with these past few years to spread FIRST in Poland-- you guys are doing fantastic work, and your Chairman's Award is well-deserved, and 2481, our good friends from Illinois-- you guys are awesome and well-deserving. It will be cool to both be coming in with a Chairman's banner this year!

VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2018, 11:56 AM
FRC #1885

ProfessorDrake has a spectacular aura aboutProfessorDrake has a spectacular aura aboutProfessorDrake has a spectacular aura about
Wink Re: 2018 Chairman's Award Winners

Nick,
Thank you for keeping this spreadsheet up to date. I enjoy using it! Team 1885, ILITE Robotics has 10 wins with 3 in 2017 with Finalist at St. Louis Champs.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorDrake View Post
Nick,
Thank you for keeping this spreadsheet up to date. I enjoy using it! Team 1885, ILITE Robotics has 10 wins with 3 in 2017 with Finalist at St. Louis Champs.
Glad you find it useful. By my count and the Blue Alliance's page for your team, you have 9 Chairman's wins. Where was the 10th?

Incidentally, week 3 results are up for those interested!

VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2018, 10:58 PM
AKA: Ed Barker
FRC #1311 (Kell Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
ebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond repute

Nick,

Thanks for the hard work on keeping this up to date.

If I could make a suggestion. I would split column J into 3 columns.

The three columns would be "DCA" and "RCA/DCCA" and "CAF"

The DCA column would count the banners earned at a District event, that would advance the team to the District Championship.

The RCA/DCCA column would count the number of times the team qualified to go to the Championship on an earned Chairman's banner.

Teams out of a district and in a Regional system would always have the DCA column blank.

Teams in the district system would/may have numbers in both the DCA and RCA/DCCA columns.

So for FRC 1311, the count would change from the current 12 to DCA=3 and RCA/DCCA = 9 which would be a much more realistic assessment. The current 12 number is misleading because of the banner stacking in the district.

The 3rd column would record the CA Finalists (like 1885) since it is a different data point, not district, not regional, and not qualify for the CA, since they are already there.

PS - The CA qualifying banner is called the Regional Chairman's Award and is still called that at the District Championship to give them equivalence. The DCCA qualifying banner is called the District Chairman's Award.

Maybe we should make a graphic to help people sort all this out.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited by ebarker : 03-19-2018 at 11:04 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebarker View Post
Nick,

Thanks for the hard work on keeping this up to date.

If I could make a suggestion. I would split column J into 3 columns.

The three columns would be "DCA" and "RCA/DCCA" and "CAF"

The DCA column would count the banners earned at a District event, that would advance the team to the District Championship.

The RCA/DCCA column would count the number of times the team qualified to go to the Championship on an earned Chairman's banner.

Teams out of a district and in a Regional system would always have the DCA column blank.

Teams in the district system would/may have numbers in both the DCA and RCA/DCCA columns.

So for FRC 1311, the count would change from the current 12 to DCA=3 and RCA/DCCA = 9 which would be a much more realistic assessment. The current 12 number is misleading because of the banner stacking in the district.

The 3rd column would record the CA Finalists (like 1885) since it is a different data point, not district, not regional, and not qualify for the CA, since they are already there.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to make that update for next week's events. The other things on my list are sheets for teams competing in Detroit and Houston, streaks (DCA and RCA/DCCA), award history links, and essay links. Let me know if anyone wants anything else!

VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2018, 11:35 PM
Mentor
FRC #4607 (C.I.S.)

Rookie Year: 2012
Chief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond repute

Nick,
Are you pulling all info from FIRST/TBA? Or do you need teams to submit videos, presentations, etc to you as well?

Thanks,
~Alex

I'MN

"Innovation cannot happen in isolation"
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Hedgehog View Post
Nick,
Are you pulling all info from FIRST/TBA? Or do you need teams to submit videos, presentations, etc to you as well?

Thanks,
~Alex
Info is being pulled largely from TBA, and Iíll eventually get around to scraping the FIRST site for links to the other parts. For now, commenting links to your video/presentation would be awesome! Just comment on the relevant cell with the link. Thanks!

VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2018, 08:26 AM
Made in Wisconsin
AKA: Katie Widen
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2008
Katie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond repute

1296 essay

1296 video

1675->3928->1296->??
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2018, 08:14 PM
AKA: Alex Stout
FRC #2614 (MARS)

Rookie Year: 2008
Alex2614 has much to be proud ofAlex2614 has much to be proud ofAlex2614 has much to be proud ofAlex2614 has much to be proud ofAlex2614 has much to be proud ofAlex2614 has much to be proud ofAlex2614 has much to be proud ofAlex2614 has much to be proud ofAlex2614 has much to be proud ofAlex2614 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Alex2614

I have always enjoyed your Chairman's predictions and insights. As a chairman's mentor, it was always great to take a look at what other teams were doing and see where we stood relative to other FRC teams. Thanks for keeping the spreadsheet up and running, and I hope others continue to get as much use out of it as we had.

In Memory of Phil Tucker

2018 Competing at Palmetto, Smoky Mountains, Buckeye, and FIRST Championship Detroit
2017 Championship - Chairman's Award, Daly Finalists
2017 Regionals - Chairman's Award, Woodie Flowers Finalist Award
2016 Championship - Newton quarter-finalist, Hopper-Newton Gracious Professionalism Award
2016 Regionals - Finalists (x2), Chairman's Award, Gracious Professionalism (x2), Industrial Design
2015 Championship - Hopper Finalists
2015 Regionals - Chairman's Award, Regional Champions, Gracious Professionalism, Woodie Flowers Finalist Award
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2018, 05:34 PM

Week 4 update is up (sorry Israel, you'll be included next week). Additions include splitting out RCA/DCA wins, adding a column for Finalist wins, and the addition of the Home CMP field, to let you know where that team will be competing. I've also added two new tabs for Houston and Detroit teams. Also award history links are working now.

As always, let me know what you want to see!

Additionally, congratulations to the almost 40 teams who have won their first Chairman's Award (District or Regional) this year! I hope you continue to grow and represent FIRST well in your communities! This is almost 40% of the 106 teams who have won a Chairman's Award this season, which is awesome!

VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2018, 05:41 PM
Design Lead
FRC #1360 (Orbit Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2012
Brian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond reputeBrian M has a reputation beyond repute

Just a update, 1360 was founded in 2016, Stronghold being our first season. We split from an older team which resulted in our lower number, but by now all of our member except 1 have started with 1360.

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
Just a update, 1360 was founded in 2016, Stronghold being our first season. We split from an older team which resulted in our lower number, but by now all of our member except 1 have started with 1360.
Thanks, I'm just pulling from The Blue Alliance for that data, but I'll try to make sure to manually change that for future updates.

VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: