OCCRA
Go to Post We want to be a positive force in our community, and maybe to encourage our country’s best and brightest to go to work for the ones who’ve put themselves in harm’s way. - Jack Jones [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 11:39 AM
AKA: Mike Buell
FRC #3173 (IgKnighters)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
mikeb3173 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Personal Motivation

Jakeyoung1319, what a great testimony.

When I started as a mentor in 2011 our team was full of kids just like you, we were on a great trajectory. We even went to worlds as an at large team and captained the #3 Alliance on Galileo.

Now I'm the lead mentor and we're currently in the process of rebuilding a team which went through some "troubles" and where kind of kid with that kind of dedication just dried up. We now have core of 3 or 4 freshman and sophomores that sound just like you. I'm hoping we can continue to improve and begin being in the conversation come alliance picking time.
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Robochick1319
AKA: Catherine Zende
FRC #1319 (Flash)

Rookie Year: 2004
robochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeyoung1319 View Post
This year is my senior year. My story starts at a very young age. I've always been intrigued in how things work. I was rebuilding computers, coding, and working on cars by the time I was in sixth grade. In 6th grade I was really inspired by my science teacher. He happened to be the head mentor of an FLL team. I joined the team as soon as I could. I had a blast and learned a ton of groundwork. I distinctly remember an awesome Flash Jordan (2012 1319 Bot) demo at one of the FLL regionals. As the robot raced up and down the basketball court I knew I wanted to be a part of the team. My science teacher put me in contact with them and I've never looked back. I took on leadership roles at a young age. I started driving as a sophomore.

There are a few things that keep me going. In 2015 we had an outstanding year. To set the mood, as a freshman we won the Georgia South Classic Regional and were the number 1 seed at Peachtree. We had just won our first International safety award. At this point we had won the safety award for the 11th consecutive year.

The following year we bit off more than we could chew. This year was awful. In 2016 we did not perform well AND we lost our streak. That was the worst year in 1319 history and it was not taken lightly by me. As a leader, it takes a bigger toll just because of the responsibility. 2016 fueled me for 2017. I was determined not to let that happen again.

2017 was awesome. We won Palmetto and were finalists at Rocket City. We won our second International safety award. We played in the playoffs with an awesome alliance. The number 1 seeded alliance in the Hopper division was absolutely loaded. The alliance consisted of 1619, 3309, 1319, and 4944. Long story short, it didn't work out. We were swept in the quarterfinals. As the final score came up on the big screen, I looked over at my operator, KC. She had tears in her eyes and then it dawned on me. That was her senior year. Her last chance. That is what is fueling me for 2018. I never want to see that happen again. I've put in countless hours this year in and out of robotics. I won't give in.
I hate to break it to you but there will be tears at the end of this season as well. Even if you guys go all the way and win the whole enchilada, the mentors (like myself) who have seen you grow and take on some serious challenges with grace, dedication, and humor will be crying at that senior slideshow. April is a tough month when you have seniors on the team.
2015 Curie Division Industrial Safety Award sponsored by Underwriters Laboratories
2015 Georgia Southern Classic Regional Champion
2010 Palmetto Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2008 Peachtree Regional Champion
2007 Galileo Division Champion
2007 Palmetto Regional Champion
2006 Boilermaker Regional Champion
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 01:24 PM
I only ride segways.
AKA: Callie Pilkington
FRC #5498 (Wired Devils)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
SpookyWire is a jewel in the roughSpookyWire is a jewel in the roughSpookyWire is a jewel in the roughSpookyWire is a jewel in the rough

As a student, FRC has really given me a chance to explore all the possibilities of STEAM. Since my freshman year when I first joined, I have gained more confidence in my abilities in engineering and general communication. The hours of working are hard, tedious, and at times very frustrating. However, being with my team has enabled me to figure out what I'd like to pursue in college, given me a large group of people to talk to, and has taught me to work with my peers and adults alike. It gives me security in my abilities and genuinely makes me proud.

There is no better feeling than watching your work go on to win competitions and seeing that happiness in other people.

And while I can't speak for my mentors explicitly, many of them find it refreshing to see these kids working on a big project so young and being genuinely excited about being involved. Mentors are possibly the greatest form of assistance us students get. You guys help us learn and keep us motivated, as well as help us bounce ideas and design.

TL;DR: My motivation stems from the point that I know I've become a better engineer/strategist/person in general from this experience, and I know I can get better. I hope to mentor a team after I've graduated so I'm able to see the excitement in these kids today that I once had as well. Seeing our future grow and develop in front of our eyes is one of the greatest things to see.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 01:52 PM
Steel is love. Steel is life.
AKA: Kara Bakowski
FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)

Rookie Year: 2008
Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute

• FIRST changed my life and I want to keep those life-changing opportunities available to other people by sustaining this program.
  • FIRST gives me an opportunity to be a role model as a female engineer, which is sometimes the difference between a young woman pursuing engineering/STEM or not. I think that's incredibly important, and let's face it, I'm never going to be a CEO or hold some other high-profile position that gives me a professional platform to engage and inspire young women like that, so FIRST is a good way for me to do it.
  • FIRST teaches important life skills (such as communication and responsibility) and I see value in teaching young people those skills before college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Russell View Post
I question the sanity (and/or honesty) of any longtime FIRSTers who say they don't do this program at least in part for selfish reasons.
  • FIRST helps me make friends without having to deal with the social anxiety I get when trying something new
  • FIRST gives me a purpose and makes me feel less like a cat lady, though it does make my cats hate me for 4+ months of the year
  • Even though I'm a mentor, I'm still learning, and every season comes with new lessons and skills learned.
  • FIRST makes me better at teaching/explaining, which directly benefits me in my professional life
  • Seeing others accomplish something is more meaningful to me than my own achievements, and it makes me happy.

Basically, FIRST fills many of my "needs" for personal happiness. I guess that's selfish, but at least it's in a way that does benefit someone else besides me too.
FRC 341 (2016-present): Mechanical/build mentor
Volunteer (2010-present): Ramp Riot '18, Brunswick Eruption '18, MAR Springside-Chestnut Hill '16 '18, MAR Hatboro-Horsham B '18, Brunswick Eruption '16 '17, Ramp Riot '15 '16 '17, MidKnight Mayhem '13 '15 '16 '17 '18, MAR Seneca '17, FTC Hat Tricks Qualifier '16, MAR Montgomery '16, MAR Westtown '16 Portcullis Victim, FiM Escanaba District '14 '15, FiM Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, FiM Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...

WMWBS '10 '11
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 05:27 PM
FRC #5407 (Wolf Pack Robotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2015
5407Jaiden is an unknown quantity at this point

FIRST is a fantastic distraction. I get to make friends and learn something.
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 11:24 PM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

Rookie Year: 2015
gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

I like working on projects. I need projects.

Work provides me some projects. But they're structured, not always what I would choose to work on, and have not-fun deadlines. There's a reason they pay you to do work.

Self-defined projects are sometimes fun, but often totally lack structure or goals. I can set them for myself, but I'm not always great at it.

FIRST provides a nice middle ground. Plus, sponsors pay to buy us fun equipment I get to play with.

Apparently this can be inspiring to students. Seeing the joy of accomplishment of getting something to work, both in myself and in my students is one of the experiences I most value in life.

Inevitably, every year around week 4/5 or so, I have the thought that "eeeh this isn't worth it, I'll do something else next year". But at least for me, the feeling passes, and I've come back every year.
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2018, 01:04 AM
Mentor
FRC #4607 (C.I.S.)

Rookie Year: 2012
Chief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond repute

FRC has reinvigorated my teaching career. I want to be a better facilitator of learning. Because of this desire, I am a better teacher than I was prior to being a mentor/coach of FRC 4607.

I have learned more in the short six years of being a lead mentor than I did in my 4 years of formal training and 9 years as a teacher. I am now an educator - a professional learner that is driven to gather and transfer knowledge.

I now understand what one of my professors always stated: 'the knowledge is free, just bring your own bucket'.

I'MN

"Innovation cannot happen in isolation"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: