Go to Post If you don't like getting tipped don't build a robot that tips. - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy > Scouting
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2016, 10:24 PM
FRC #1477 (Texas Torque)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2002
Max Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant futureMax Boord has a brilliant future
Re: Introducing my team's (in development) scouting app, ThunderScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19lmyers View Post
A future release will support Google Sheets, allowing you to upload your data in real time. (I need to work out the kinks, it's not as stable as the rest of the app.)

I'm open to adding more methods of export in the future if you feel the app is missing something.
179 ran into a similar issue with exporting our webapp based scouting system to google docs and resorted to using HTML tables and the IMPORTHTML() function to get the data into google docs. It worked very well but has a few issues that deserve a separate thread. If you would like to work on co-developing a system for this send me a PM. I also have a WIP processing system and viewer in google docs that Swamp ran at 2 of our off seasons that worked as expected.
2017: 179, 1592
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2016, 11:18 PM
Lead Developer - ThunderScout
AKA: Luke Myers
FRC #0980 (Thunderbots)

Rookie Year: 2016
19lmyers is just really nice19lmyers is just really nice19lmyers is just really nice19lmyers is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarbon View Post
We do a lot of analysis in Excel with our data, so it'd be great to have a way to export as an xls or csv or something.
Do you do this online or offline?
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2016, 09:14 AM
ME who pretends to code
AKA: Tim W
FRC #0343 (Metal in Motion)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
fargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to behold

You talk about exporting data to a google sheets document, would this document be set up to also act as an input for devices that could not run the app? ie ios devices or PCs? This would be very helpful for situations where not all the devices used for scouting are identical, the biggest pitfall to this, that I see, is that the sheet would have to be set up to not overwrite data from multiple devices, basically make sure that any data entry is specified to match number and team number so that *hopefully* nothing is overwritten with data from another device when they the sheet syncs all the data from all the devices when they do get a chance to access the internet.

I realize that many teams looking at this kind of scouting app would be using team-owned devices for this purpose, but we don't have budget for something like that, however almost all our students have smartphones and for those who do not, we do have a few team laptops.

Even without the ability suggested above I really like how this app is looking and I look forward to checking it out for the 2017 season.

play is the highest form of research-Einstein
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2016, 12:55 PM
FRC #3322 (Eagle Imperium)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2014
Jcarbon has a spectacular aura aboutJcarbon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Do you do this online or offline?
Offline. In the past, we've scouted on paper and manually inputted data to excel for analysis We're looking for a good way to digitize our scouting and save some effort without completely changing the process.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2016, 07:45 PM
FRC #0980 (Thunderbots)

19lmyers is just really nice19lmyers is just really nice19lmyers is just really nice19lmyers is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargus111111111 View Post
You talk about exporting data to a google sheets document, would this document be set up to also act as an input for devices that could not run the app? ie ios devices or PCs? This would be very helpful for situations where not all the devices used for scouting are identical, the biggest pitfall to this, that I see, is that the sheet would have to be set up to not overwrite data from multiple devices, basically make sure that any data entry is specified to match number and team number so that *hopefully* nothing is overwritten with data from another device when they the sheet syncs all the data from all the devices when they do get a chance to access the internet.

I realize that many teams looking at this kind of scouting app would be using team-owned devices for this purpose, but we don't have budget for something like that, however almost all our students have smartphones and for those who do not, we do have a few team laptops.

Even without the ability suggested above I really like how this app is looking and I look forward to checking it out for the 2017 season.
Google Sheets input is supported on multiple devices to the same spreadsheet. It's additive, so no data is replaced or overwritten. It does require an Internet connection but you can use Bluetooth to transfer data from disconnected devices to a Sheets-enabled "master device" automatically, which my team has used.

It's not a "sync" so much as a "send".

You have full control over what you do with your spreadsheet.

Last edited by 19lmyers : 10-28-2016 at 07:47 PM.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2016, 04:30 PM
FRC #4776

mf81851 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my name is McKenna and I am from team 4776. I looked at your app and loved it! Do you plan on making or updating a new one for the 2017 season? If so when would you have it up and running? Thanks, team 4776
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2016, 09:18 AM
FRC #0980 (Thunderbots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf81851 View Post
Hi my name is McKenna and I am from team 4776. I looked at your app and loved it! Do you plan on making or updating a new one for the 2017 season? If so when would you have it up and running? Thanks, team 4776
Hello!
Yes, I do plan on updating this to the 2017 game (FIRST Steamworks).
I plan to make a public beta available (this is the alpha right now) when I begin developing the 2017 version. I'll probably start taking notes on kickoff day

When the 2017 update is complete I will publish the release version of the app, which will be publicly listed on the Play Store. Shouldn't take too long, but you never know...
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2016, 01:13 AM
FRC #0980 (Thunderbots)

I've prepared a new alpha release: Alpha 0.2

This version, along with some "stability improvements and bug fixes", also features revamped "This device" and Match Info screens.

Screenshots have been uploaded here

The APK is available on Github and should be rolling out on Google Play soon.

Please tell me what you think!
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Team Role: Programmer

snekiam has a spectacular aura aboutsnekiam has a spectacular aura aboutsnekiam has a spectacular aura about

I was looking at your source code, trying to integrate an export to excel option, something that would be vital in a scouting app for our team. I was using Apache POI to work with excel, and my main issue was with dealing with the custom ScalingStats and Defense types. I would love to work with you on figuring something like this out, but I also understand if you don't have time to work with me on this.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2016, 07:29 PM
FRC #0980 (Thunderbots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snekiam View Post
I was looking at your source code, trying to integrate an export to excel option, something that would be vital in a scouting app for our team. I was using Apache POI to work with excel, and my main issue was with dealing with the custom ScalingStats and Defense types. I would love to work with you on figuring something like this out, but I also understand if you don't have time to work with me on this.
I was hoping to build an Excel .xlsx export option into a later release of the app, but the main hurdle is that most libraries are too large to embed into an Android app (POI included).

I'd be interested in seeing your implementation and would love to see what you've done so far. Also, the simplest way to currently deal with the custom enum types is to call .name() or .toString() on them to get a string constant representation. I am planning on making that a bit more elegant eventually
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Team Role: Programmer

snekiam has a spectacular aura aboutsnekiam has a spectacular aura aboutsnekiam has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I was hoping to build an Excel .xlsx export option into a later release of the app, but the main hurdle is that most libraries are too large to embed into an Android app (POI included).

I'd be interested in seeing your implementation and would love to see what you've done so far. Also, the simplest way to currently deal with the custom enum types is to call .name() or .toString() on them to get a string constant representation. I am planning on making that a bit more elegant eventually
I'll see if I can finish up a little more of what I was working on - Finals are this week at my high school, but I have next week off, so hopefully I can get a more complete implementation done by then. I was working on a system my freshman year, which I ended up abandoning in the end that had generated xls files, but it was honestly kinda a piece of crap, and unmaintainable.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-23-2016, 11:04 PM
FRC #0980 (Thunderbots)

I've prepared a new alpha release: Alpha 0.3!

This version:
  • Adds a new view that summarizes the match data for a selected team
  • Fixes a critical bug where the ScalingStats of a team wouldn't be saved when scouting
  • Also includes other "bug fixes and stability improvements"

I'm uploading it to the Play Store now. You can find it on GitHub here.

As always, new screenshots can be found here.

If you like the app or have a suggestion on how I could improve it, please reply here, open an issue or pull request on GitHub, or send your feedback via the Play Store!
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-24-2016, 12:02 AM
Jack of all trades, Master of none
AKA: Brian Wagg
FRC #3739 (Oakbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
cad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud of

I absolutely love the app. We developed a similar app that we used this season. However it wasn't nearly as refined/clean as this. It also had notably more bugs. We are seriously considering using this next season.

The only 2 things that I might like to see added is a way to track what match number the stats were recorded in, and the second being an option for a robot's picture. The first we like just to ensure we aren't reading duplicate data accidentally recorded (say 2 students record the same robot during the same match by accident). The match number can also let us track how a team progressed through a regional. The second we find helpful for during our scouting meeting. Being able to let people pull up a picture of the robot you're talking about rather than remembering who team xxyy is in a list of 60 can be much easier.

Again, the app looks fantastic so far and can't wait to see this revised for 2017 SteamWorks.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-24-2016, 03:25 PM
FRC #0980 (Thunderbots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad321 View Post
I absolutely love the app. We developed a similar app that we used this season. However it wasn't nearly as refined/clean as this. It also had notably more bugs. We are seriously considering using this next season.

The only 2 things that I might like to see added is a way to track what match number the stats were recorded in, and the second being an option for a robot's picture. The first we like just to ensure we aren't reading duplicate data accidentally recorded (say 2 students record the same robot during the same match by accident). The match number can also let us track how a team progressed through a regional. The second we find helpful for during our scouting meeting. Being able to let people pull up a picture of the robot you're talking about rather than remembering who team xxyy is in a list of 60 can be much easier.

Again, the app looks fantastic so far and can't wait to see this revised for 2017 SteamWorks.
Happy to hear that this app may be of some use to you!

I was expecting someone to eventually request match numbers. I implemented the timestamp instead because in my experience, scouts often forget what the match number is, but I'll consider adding it in the future.

Robot pictures is more of a pit scouting thing. I've considered adding a pit scouting mode, but haven't found time to pursue avenues such as that yet.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-24-2016, 04:10 PM
Captain | Driver | Senior
AKA: Rohit Gondi
FRC #3991 (KnightVision)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2012
dirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Happy to hear that this app may be of some use to you!

I was expecting someone to eventually request match numbers. I implemented the timestamp instead because in my experience, scouts often forget what the match number is, but I'll consider adding it in the future.

Robot pictures is more of a pit scouting thing. I've considered adding a pit scouting mode, but haven't found time to pursue avenues such as that yet.
Match Numbers are pretty useful. Especially when looking back on the data. Because more often than not, our scouters will remember a specific match number in which a specific robot stood out. Time stamps can get pretty confusing, especially with all the field delays, and other problems that naturally occur at regionals.

Thanks to all our alliance partners this year!:
16 | 3310 | 2183 | 4063 | 2992 | 2183 | 3039 | 3337 | 3039 | 2221

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: